Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• really is a small world

Cool Visiting D23 Expo? Go to Disneyland or Not?

The D23 Expo is coming up this August. When we are visiting the Expo, is it a good idea to visit Disneyland the same day?
    Welcome to DisneyDose.com. We write about the latest in Disney news, views, and reviews. Come check us out.

We recently spent 3 Epic hours in Disneyland and went to Club 33, had a private elevator in the Haunted Mansion, and rode all of our favorite attractions. Read all about it!

"It is kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

Re: Visiting D23 Expo? Go to Disneyland or Not?

I also just wrote the top ten reasons to visit the Expo this year. http://disneydose.com/d23-expo-2013/
    Welcome to DisneyDose.com. We write about the latest in Disney news, views, and reviews. Come check us out.

We recently spent 3 Epic hours in Disneyland and went to Club 33, had a private elevator in the Haunted Mansion, and rode all of our favorite attractions. Read all about it!

-Walt Disney

Tough to get to Disneyland from the expo. Use to be easier when there was a Lion King tram across the street. Also because most events are close together you probably won't be able to get there until after 9pm.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It's going to be busy at the parks, both because of the Expo and also because it will be a summer weekend. If you have an annual pass I say go for it, but if you're not you might not get all you want out of your trip. If you're coming from out of town and visiting the resort, I'd suggest giving yourself 2 days of visiting the park before or after.

However, once the full schedule is up you might find that there is a day that doesn't have much going on at the expo that interests you. If so, then go ahead and visit the parks!

As mentioned, the parks and the convention center aren't all that close to each other, so transportation will be kinda tricky. But I will say that while the last D23 Expo was crowded, driving out of the parking lot and getting to Disneyland wasn't a hassle.

• Closed Account

If you do plan on visiting the parks, be prepared for the crowds. The D23 Expo drives tons of people to the area, and the parks. If you don't want to worry about transportation, head to the Anaheim Marriott next door to the convention center, for $4 you can get an all day pass to the ART system which takes you right to Disneyland.

•   
    • Minion

I wouldn't unless you have a AP. If you plan on going to the expo the while time just enjoy Disneyland the next day. If you have a AP then go for it I say!

• Disney Trivia Queen

We don't go to the park during the Expo because we want to spend our time doing everything we can at the expo. We do however use our APs to head over to the park and grab a late dinner or a ride or two if stuff we want to do at the expo ends early enough. I just think that we go down there for the expo and don't want to miss anything to go to the park. If anyone wanted to spend time at the park, I would recommend that they come to the expo a day early or stay a day late to spend at the park.

I am probably going to stay and watch some of the special shows (like the Broadway performance on Friday) that go on after the Expo closes. I might ditch the 3-D screening (if they have one). It just isn't worth queing up for 3+ hours just to get a good seat.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    Tough to get to Disneyland from the expo. Use to be easier when there was a Lion King tram across the street. Also because most events are close together you probably won't be able to get there until after 9pm.
    All great answers. We usually stay at the Hilton Anaheim and I remember how easy it was to get to Disneyland before Cars Land was built because of the Timon and Pumba Lot. Now we have to go all the way around through the Grand and Downtown Disney.

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's going to be busy at the parks, both because of the Expo and also because it will be a summer weekend. If you have an annual pass I say go for it, but if you're not you might not get all you want out of your trip. If you're coming from out of town and visiting the resort, I'd suggest giving yourself 2 days of visiting the park before or after.
    I sure hope that I end up getting the extra time to visit the parks before and after. Especially if that means getting to visit on the Monday or Tuesday before the Expo. I bet that there will be huge crowds from other Expo attendees doing the same thing.

-Walt Disney

• No Disassemble!

Didn't Disneyland host a big Cheer-leading Tournament at the same time that D23 2011 was going on? I remember going to the parks on that Saturday and having to deal with it being extra crowded with gangs of cheer teams roaming around everywhere.

I hope they don't do that this year.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyApprentice View Post
    All great answers. We usually stay at the Hilton Anaheim and I remember how easy it was to get to Disneyland before Cars Land was built because of the Timon and Pumba Lot. Now we have to go all the way around through the Grand and Downtown Disney.
    All you need to do is walk down the street to the Toy Story Lot (about a block), and jump on a bus there.

They even have a walkway for you to use.

I've stayed at the Hilton, and gone to conventions all of the time and done this. In many way's it's better than before, as the Busses seem to load a LOT faster than the old trams.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyApprentice View Post
    The D23 Expo is coming up this August. When we are visiting the Expo, is it a good idea to visit Disneyland the same day?
    I did it last time (had an AP), like I stated bwfore, just walked down to the Toy Story Lot and picked up a bus to the park.

According to the data I was sent, if you don't have an AP, disney WILL be selling "twilight" passes to the parks at a discount at the Expo (they're basically good after 5PM if I remember correctly, basically an "half day" pass).

I'm skipping this Expo... hate to say it, but the last one was so badly ran, that I'll wait to see if the reports are better for this one.

I've walked from the Convention center several times - I don't think it's that far or onerous, but it could be me. Like pinkertonfloyd said above, you can walk across the street to the Toy Story Lot and take the shuttle bus from there; that's highly convenient.

One other thing I wish someone had told me - they do sell Twilight Tickets for convention goers (or they did last time), but you need to buy those at the convention. Don't go to the ticket booths at Disneyland with your convention badge and ask for Twilight tickets. That's the mistake I made last time.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Didn't Disneyland host a big Cheer-leading Tournament at the same time that D23 2011 was going on? I remember going to the parks on that Saturday and having to deal with it being extra crowded with gangs of cheer teams roaming around everywhere
    I remember that as being a WonderCon or a WizardCon at the Anaheim convention center.
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! · DL Paris March 2002 · WDW Dec. 2007 & Jan. 2013 · Tokyo DL & Sea April 2009
    To Do: DCL Alaska 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland, you're next; Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

• Minion

Just a warning to everyone, D23 announced that all "free" level members are allowed Early Entry along with Gold and Silver members. Expect big crowds at the Expo this year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast