Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: why is there no Giselle from Enchanted in the parks?

I'm (almost) sure she used to do meet and greets at Disneyland Paris years ago, around the same time as she used to appear at Disneyland.

It is probably because of the lack of popularity the movie created. They can't jam every character in to the parks. Hence why a lot of characters are pulled out of the parks to make room for new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by beckramenoodles View Post
    It is probably because of the lack of popularity the movie created. They can't jam every character in to the parks. Hence why a lot of characters are pulled out of the parks to make room for new ones.
    except that they do.

especially with the princesses

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There are a bunch of characters you don't see very often - I've never seen Orville or Madame Medusa from Rescuers, can't recall seeing Tony or Tia from the Witch Mountain series, still haven't seen (though I've been told he exists) Hades as anything other than a parade character.

I don't know. I kinda have to side on the need to limit if only to allow for park capacity. Can you imagine how many characters they'd have if they really were trying to fit everyone's favorite in? They'd need to expand just to allow room for guests.
    Hades and a few other villains were in a show in DCA early days called "Golden Screams"

Golden Screams, Disney's California Adventure - YouTube
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    From what I have been told Amy Adams would have to approve any and every girl that would play the part, so when they originally casted Giselle for those little things they used her for, they went through 500 girls for 2 people... All with Amy Adams approval.

It is too complicated, and costs too much.
    This question comes up every once in awhile, and no matter how often it's repeated, it never sinks in.

Amy Adams does NOT have a contract with Disney limiting the use of Giselle in any way shape or form. Disney does NOT sign such contracts - they are a licensing machine and would not let a B-list actor get in the way of merchandising or tie-ins. It's simply not how business is done.

Amy Adams did NOT have casting approval. Amy Adams is a very busy Hollywood actress; she doesn't care one bit about which college student they put a wig on and call Giselle at Disneyland.

Really, that people believe this stuff is ludicrous. Giselle doesn't make appearances for two simple reasons:

1. There's no demand. The movie was a blip at the box office and didn't set the merch world on fire. She was not added to the Disney Princess line. No one asks City Hall where she is - it's just not a thing.

2. The dress is unwieldy and poses a safety issue. The only park costume designed for Giselle is her wedding dress, and it is so large that it made mobility nearly impossible - that's why you only saw her in a carriage at DL/WDW. The only place she ever did M&Gs is at the El Capitan Theater during the run of the film. The parks wouldn't allow it due to the possible injury the dress would cause to the performers - Belle and Tiana's outfits already give girls hip and back injuries after prolonged use, a double wide like Giselle would only drive up workman's comp.

Ain't got nothin' to do with Amy Adams or some mythical contract.

• Minion

In the film, Giselle gave up her life as a charming animated princess for the ''real world'' so she could feel anger, shop freely in NYC with her new credit card, and design princess costumes. So why would she be at Disneyland frolicking with Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and those enchanting fairytale characters who held onto the dream that she left behind?

She made her choices...
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland View Post
    This question comes up every once in awhile, and no matter how often it's repeated, it never sinks in.

Amy Adams does NOT have a contract with Disney limiting the use of Giselle in any way shape or form. Disney does NOT sign such contracts - they are a licensing machine and would not let a B-list actor get in the way of merchandising or tie-ins. It's simply not how business is done.

Amy Adams did NOT have casting approval. Amy Adams is a very busy Hollywood actress; she doesn't care one bit about which college student they put a wig on and call Giselle at Disneyland.

Really, that people believe this stuff is ludicrous. Giselle doesn't make appearances for two simple reasons:

1. There's no demand. The movie was a blip at the box office and didn't set the merch world on fire. She was not added to the Disney Princess line. No one asks City Hall where she is - it's just not a thing.

2. The dress is unwieldy and poses a safety issue. The only park costume designed for Giselle is her wedding dress, and it is so large that it made mobility nearly impossible - that's why you only saw her in a carriage at DL/WDW. The only place she ever did M&Gs is at the El Capitan Theater during the run of the film. The parks wouldn't allow it due to the possible injury the dress would cause to the performers - Belle and Tiana's outfits already give girls hip and back injuries after prolonged use, a double wide like Giselle would only drive up workman's comp.

Ain't got nothin' to do with Amy Adams or some mythical contract.
    Do you have any proof that there is no contract problem with Amy Adams? Everything I have ever read...newspaper articles, books, magazines, interviews, etc, does make claim to the fact that there is a contract dispute. I would love to see evidence that proves otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    odd considering what kind of merchandise money they could make after the fact.
    On the other hand, she is a generic parody of fairy tale princesses, so I think it would be kind of odd to market her with the other princesses.

on a side not we did the meet n greet at fantasy faire last week. Cinderella was convincing, Aurora looked ok but Ariel just looked silly. like a 14 year old. the same 3 were there ALL 4 days all day long. a snow white pop in would have been cool.
    Snow White is sometimes at the Fantasy Faire, but at other times she hangs out at her own grotto on the opposite side of the castle, or occasionally at the entrance to the park.

Or Belle. other than the parades Ive never seen Belle in the parks. oh well
    Belle and Rapunzel have their own storytelling shows at the Fantasy Faire, and they do a meet & greet with fans after each show. Like Snow White and some of the other princesses, she can occasionally be found at the park entrance (between the turnstiles and the tunnels).

Giselle doesn't make appearances for two simple reasons:

Although not a big hit by modern standards, the movie did fairly well at the box office. The concept and its execution worked well enough to make it likable for the public, but for most people Giselle herself, though charmingly and sympathetically portrayed, was unremarkable for anything besides being an effective parody. No offense intended to her fans, but if there were more of a demand from the public, then I'm sure that Disney would be happy to include her.

2. The dress is unwieldy and poses a safety issue. The only park costume designed for Giselle is her wedding dress, and it is so large that it made mobility nearly impossible - that's why you only saw her in a carriage at DL/WDW.
    Her costume could be changed if Disney really wanted her in the parks--look at what they did with Ariel, who has appeared both as a mermaid and as a human for meet & greets.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    In the film, Giselle gave up her life as a charming animated princess for the ''real world'' so she could feel anger, shop freely in NYC with her new credit card, and design princess costumes. So why would she be at Disneyland frolicking with Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and those enchanting fairytale characters who held onto the dream that she left behind?
    So why would Mulan be there? She's not even a princess, and her movie made less money. Ah, but Mulan has something Giselle does not: affirmative action. Yeah, I went there!

And as for feeling anger, by the way, it doesn't seem as though the other princesses have any difficulty. Maybe it's an Andalasian thing.

• Minion

That Giselle is or isn't a princess is neither here nor there (lots of Disney characters aren't royals), but the text of her role has her specifically leaving behind/rejecting the world of fantasy to embrace "the real world" instead.

Fellow live-action character Mary Poppins, always a welcome sight at Disneyland, is quite the opposite, she saves lost souls from the harsh realities of the adult world, bringing them back to the simple joys of childhood fantasy, laughter and animation. Giselle is sort of the anti-Mary Poppins.

At the gates of Disneyland a sign clearly reads "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.''

So Giselle is left behind along with the world of ''today.'' She clearly prefers the now. She'll take Manhattan over The Magic Kingdom, live-action over animation. In the film, that's her choice as a character, yes?
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.

• Queen Elsa

In a way I'm glad that Giselle isn't at the park I didn't like the movie and I wouldn't see her. To me she falls in the same place as Rapunzel. As for the Brave Princess why I don't see her is I'm not a big Pixar fan don't really like any of thee moives other then Bugs Life,Monsters Inc. and Ratatoe. To me Pixar movie seem all the same to me borading. I saw the per-views and didn't think it was good so didn't see the movie and don't care to see the Brave Princess.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I wish Giselle was in the parks more, but I understand why. Enchanted was a successful film, but not enough to need a sequel or become a franchise. A successful standalone film is pretty rare nowadays.

Off-topic: is Rapunzel still doing meet-and-greets in her old spot? I think that, while not leaving them to only be at Fantasy Faire, I think she and Merida should move to Fantasy Faire. They can bring out the games even. If you're gonna build an area for the sole purpose of princess meet-and-greets, then put the princesses there!
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    I wish Giselle was in the parks more, but I understand why. Enchanted was a successful film, but not enough to need a sequel or become a franchise. A successful standalone film is pretty rare nowadays.

Off-topic: is Rapunzel still doing meet-and-greets in her old spot? I think that, while not leaving them to only be at Fantasy Faire, I think she and Merida should move to Fantasy Faire. They can bring out the games even. If you're gonna build an area for the sole purpose of princess meet-and-greets, then put the princesses there!
    Rapunzel still does meet and greets at her old spot in Fantasyland (near Pinocchio), she only does them in the afternoon, and Tangled shows only in the morning at the Royal Theater in Fantasyland.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Forget Giselle, what about Eilonwy?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

That Giselle is or isn't a princess is neither here nor there (lots of Disney characters aren't royals), but the text of her role has her specifically leaving behind/rejecting the world of fantasy to embrace "the real world" instead.
    Yes, that would make her inclusion contradictory, but then again she has appeared in the parks for promotional purposes, and along similar lines somehow Ariel frequently appears as a mermaid (other than in meet & greets now, but she used to be a mermaid for those, too) when she had dreamt about becoming a human and actually did become one. Not that I disagree with your reasoning, but in practice such things don't mean much with regard to characters appearing in the parks--right or wrong, sense or nonsense, somehow they would justify it if that's what they wanted.

At the gates of Disneyland a sign clearly reads "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.''
    Well, Ariel was a mermaid yesterday, so I guess she can be one in the park today. And she can have an attraction in Paradise Pier, even though that makes no sense to me (I don't like the fact, myself, but I'm just saying that it's no impediment to Disney).

So Giselle is left behind along with the world of ''today.'' She clearly prefers the now. She'll take Manhattan over The Magic Kingdom, live-action over animation. In the film, that's her choice as a character, yes?
    I guess Giselle would have fit in DCA 1.0, but they didn't do that, either. Everything you've said is true, except that it wouldn't stop Disney if they felt that she was marketable, or at least enough people wanted her to be present in the parks. There definitely are reasons that individual characters are included or excluded, but they don't necessarily involve reason as in logical thinking based on story elements.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-23-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast