Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: why is there no Giselle from Enchanted in the parks?

I do think this is really sad considering her fan base, while when talking about her with friends, they dont instantly know who she is, but once i say from enchated, that old live-action princess movie, they say "OH Her! Yeah I loved her movie!" I really think it is poor marketing from Disney. I mean look at all the craziness that was stirred up by disney for Monsters University. I mean it had its own 24 Hour Event. Disney can make it a Hit if they try. Then, look at Mars needs Moms.. Or the new Winnie the Pooh Movie. Those were just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Do you have any proof that there is no contract problem with Amy Adams? Everything I have ever read...newspaper articles, books, magazines, interviews, etc, does make claim to the fact that there is a contract dispute. I would love to see evidence that proves otherwise!
    I have never seen a piece of actual media (not a Disney fan blog - a real magazine, newspaper, etc.) that ever referenced a contract between Adams and Disney that restricted theme park usage of the character. As Disney doesn't publish their studios' actor contracts, I'd be interested in seeing these articles you speak of.

Disney does not allow actors to dictate how their characters are used; it's just not done. Julie Andrews doesn't get a say in what they do with Poppins, Depp doesn't get to tell them when and where they can use Sparrow - it's not how Disney works. Part of their business model is cross-platform leverage, and letting an actor interfere is not an idea that would pass muster.

The myth has been repeated on boards like these ad nauseum. It's right up there with the bogus story that the Sorcerer Hat at WDW was constructed to block the Chinese Theater due to Disney "losing the rights" to the icon.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland View Post
    I have never seen a piece of actual media (not a Disney fan blog - a real magazine, newspaper, etc.) that ever referenced a contract between Adams and Disney that restricted theme park usage of the character. As Disney doesn't publish their studios' actor contracts, I'd be interested in seeing these articles you speak of.

Disney does not allow actors to dictate how their characters are used; it's just not done. Julie Andrews doesn't get a say in what they do with Poppins, Depp doesn't get to tell them when and where they can use Sparrow - it's not how Disney works. Part of their business model is cross-platform leverage, and letting an actor interfere is not an idea that would pass muster.

The myth has been repeated on boards like these ad nauseum. It's right up there with the bogus story that the Sorcerer Hat at WDW was constructed to block the Chinese Theater due to Disney "losing the rights" to the icon.
    I quoted one earlier in this thread from the Wall Street Journal, and there have been countless others through the years. I used to have a scrapbook of Enchanted articles and clippings from newspapers and magazines. There was a story from the New York Times about it, that I used to have in that scrapbook. I even wrote to Walt Disney Studios about it, trying to solve whether it was fact or fiction, and they just said that the article was true, but they could not discuss the details about it. Unfortunately, I outgrew my Enchanted phase when I got into the old Rodger's and Hammerstein Cinderella, both with Lesley Ann Warren and Julie Andrews, and tossed that along with my Lion King scrapbook.

Here is the one I quoted earlier in this thread from the Wall Street Journal
    Disney Reaches to the Crib To Extend Princess Magic - WSJ.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I quoted one earlier in this thread from the Wall Street Journal, and there have been countless others through the years. I used to have a scrapbook of Enchanted articles and clippings from newspapers and magazines. There was a story from the New York Times about it, that I used to have in that scrapbook. I even wrote to Walt Disney Studios about it, trying to solve whether it was fact or fiction, and they just said that the article was true, but they could not discuss the details about it. Unfortunately, I outgrew my Enchanted phase when I got into the old Rodger's and Hammerstein Cinderella, both with Lesley Ann Warren and Julie Andrews, and tossed that along with my Lion King scrapbook.

Here is the one I quoted earlier in this thread from the Wall Street Journal
    Disney Reaches to the Crib To Extend Princess Magic - WSJ.com
    Context is key. The article refers exclusively to Disney Consumer Products, which was looking to use images of Amy Adams on products. This is an entirely separate matter from presenting the character in the theme parks, something that has absolutely nothing to do with Amy Adams or her image. Giselle is not Amy Adams' creation (like say Harry Potter is J.K. Rowling's creation - she stipulated no characters in her contract with Uni), and the creation and use of the park costume in the first place demonstrates that there was no issue. If Giselle had never appeared in the parks, there would be a place for such conjecture.

The only reasons Giselle doesn't appear in the parks anymore is lack of demand and costume troubles. It's just not near as complicated as everyone wants it to be.

I wonder if it is because so much of the movie takes place in New York? and the animated characters are drawn a bit from Snow White? I really would not be as interested in a ride through New York
    but.... it is one of my favorite movies!
    Working song!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

From what I remember hearing regarding it, is that licensing the likeness of a living person is quite expensive.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Rock Star Minion

Man, not having her there would ruin my trip to the point that I'd never want to go back.
    Last edited by sediment; 06-25-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Man, not having here there would ruin my trip to the point that I'd never want to go back.
    that seems like a dramatic stance to take. especially considering its from an older film and the character has not really been seen in the parks for a really long time. I could see that being the way you felt if it was a special "enchanted exhibit" was being advertised. Actually that sounds like a cool exhibit

[QUOTE=Goin2Disneyland;1056991969]I have never seen a piece of actual media (not a Disney fan blog - a real magazine, newspaper, etc.) that ever referenced a contract between Adams and Disney that restricted theme park usage of the character. As Disney doesn't publish their studios' actor contracts, I'd be interested in seeing these articles you speak of.

nor should they ever publish these things.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    From what I remember hearing regarding it, is that licensing the likeness of a living person is quite expensive.
    When did Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke and Johnny Depp die?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    that seems like a dramatic stance to take. especially considering its from an older film and the character has not really been seen in the parks for a really long time. I could see that being the way you felt if it was a special "enchanted exhibit" was being advertised. Actually that sounds like a cool exhibit

If the exhibit promised to turn me into a cartoon when I went into the sewer, yeah, that would be pretty cool.

Glad you could take a little ribbing.

But more seriously, as someone else mentioned, the character of Giselle is more of a satire of standard Disney princess. Just wouldn't fit in at DL.
    Maybe at DCA.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If the exhibit promised to turn me into a cartoon when I went into the sewer, yeah, that would be pretty cool.

Glad you could take a little ribbing.

But more seriously, as someone else mentioned, the character of Giselle is more of a satire of standard Disney princess. Just wouldn't fit in at DL.
    Maybe at DCA.
    i can see trhat. ive seen odder at DL though. i'd like to see her and darkwing duck in person

• Diva Extrodinaire

I know it would never happen unless they made a sequel, but I'd love a major dark ride themed to Enchanted. When I was younger I drew out some plans for fun. It's not an all-time classic, but it's a good standalone film.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland View Post
    The only reasons Giselle doesn't appear in the parks anymore is lack of demand and costume troubles. It's just not near as complicated as everyone wants it to be.
    The costume can be modified or substituted, so it's really just the lack of demand (with no affirmative action ).
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-24-2013 at 05:30 PM.

• Minion

Completely forgot about this until now, but I remember somebody once telling me who worked at WDW that they had a vault near Orlando Airport that contained character costumes that would very rarely ever be used such as Giselle and others like Jessica Rabbit. The only time they're ever really used is when a guest pays big bucks for a private event and they want one of the obscure characters that is locked away.

They could have just made all of that up but I personally believe them. Would also mean that Giselle can be used if there is demand (AKA guest with lots of $)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast