Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney friends are #1

Magical Map Character Concern

I saw Mickey And The Magical Map for the first time yesterday. All reviews aside, there was one thing that jumped out at me while I was watching the show. This glaring occurrance may not be visible to most of the guests in the mid-to-back areas of the theater BUT it was VERY obvious to me...and the 3 girls sitting in the row in front of me. This concern is...that a few of the "generic" dancers in the show appear first as singers/dancers, then disappear to change into Character Costumes and then appear onstage as those characters! Both incarnations feature their full face (Flynn Rider and Mulan were the most obvious). When the show started, I recognized one of the taller singers/dancers as one of the "Mad Hatters" from the Mad Tea Party at DCA. He's very talented and has a very recognizeable face. What I wasn't prepared for was, after the inital opening number from Magical Map, he disappeared for a few minutes only to reemerge as Flynn Ryder for the princess medley. This happened with Mulan as well and both actors were back on stage (as generic dancers/singers) for the show finale. What brought this to my attention were the 3 girls in front of me. THEY noticed that it was the same people and they started calling out "Fake!" These girls were about 10 and we were 5 -6 rows from the front. To my knowledge, there have never been times where the stage actors were so obviously doing double-duty. Especially when it came to doing a "face" character. It would be different if these actors had disappeared and then reemerged donning Pluto, Donald, or Mickey costumes as they would be completely covered up and the audience would never be any wiser because of it. But "face" characters? Am I grousing about nothing???
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• #bringevilback

Re: Magical Map Character Concern

It is very common in broadway shows for actors to appear in the ensemble for numbers when they are not on as their character. Sure, it's not the leads, but for a character that only exists for 1/4 of the time, what is wrong with having them do more than one role?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

short staffed for the stage numbers? I don't agree with the actors playing one character and then pulling back to emerge as someone else, face visible to one and all. I will say I didn't notice it in my YouTube viewing and this is the first I've heard of this from anyone watching or reviewing the show, whether it be through YouTube or in person.

Maybe they were just short staffed that day and they needed to fill the stage. I most likely won't noticed it when I watch the show myself but may noticed it when I watch it at home on my TV screen after I have filmed it.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

hmmm... well thats not surprising. the Sebastian is really all i needed to see to tell me i had no interest in this show

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

This is very common in all Broadway/production shows.

Here's a video I recorded a Full Up-Close of Mickey and the Magical Map Show. Look at the two singers in the opening and during the Princesses scene.

oh, to really see all their faces clearly make sure to click to watch in HD!

Last edited by SoCalbma; 06-21-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Minion

Like everyone else is saying, that happens a lot.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I was surprised to see one of the performers with a large visible tattoo on his inside upper arm. It was the first time I have ever seen a CM with a visible tattoo.

• Selfie Expert

I'd be more irritated that the parents weren't shushing the girls from yelling "fake!" than I was at the fact that actors had to play multiple roles.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Certified in everything

Generally, Disney doesn't present the characters in their stage shows as the "real" characters. Instead, those performers are considered to be playing the roles of the characters. An example:

An Aladdin who performs at meet and greats would be able to tell others that he is "friends with Aladdin" or "works for entertainment" whereas an actor playing Aladdin in the DCA stage show would be allowed to tell other that he "played Aladdin". This goes for all characters in the shows and is why you can find interviews with current actors who play characters like the genie at DCA but wont find interviews with performers who currently portray meet and greet characters.

Anyway, the short version is that in a stage shows Disney's intention is to present the audience with actors playing roles as opposed to the actual characters. Therefore, at least with respect to the Disney company, there is no problem with playing multiple roles.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I would not be surprised by this. I know that there is a limited number of people in the entertainment department and I would be common for the actors to do cross rolls. I have been told by CMs that the characters jump parks at the end of MSS Parade to do PP Parade and then jump back again to do the repeat performances. They just change characters. Going back and seeing the video you can see the people doing cross roles and I would bet that this happens in all the shows across the resort.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    THEY noticed that it was the same people and they started calling out "Fake!" These girls were about 10 and we were 5 -6 rows from the front.
    What did they think was "real?" The six-foot mouse (that talks) or the gigantic wizard?

• Closed Account

Like everyone else said, this is really, really common. Disney doesn't claim that the characters you see in the shows are the "actual characters". A perfect example of this is that Mickey Mouse is in the Magical Map show, but you can see Mickey Mouse other places in the park as well.

I would be more concerned that the parents of the girls were not telling them to be quiet, nor was a cast member, since they were disrupting the show with their yelling.

• Minion

Like many have said before, this is very common in the entertainment industry. I don't think this is any different then when different Cinderellas trade off for photographs/autographs, etc. When I worked for parades I would do Parade of Dreams and then hop over to DCA to do Electrical Parade. Sometimes people go from parades in the morning and then do Fantasmic. I think 99.8% of people do not even notice.
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I'd be more irritated that the parents weren't shushing the girls from yelling "fake!" than I was at the fact that actors had to play multiple roles.
    I concur with this.

• Still lost in Neverland

Fantasmic has Cast performing multiple characters; a lot. The monkeys on the Jungle Book floats change into pirates for the Peter Pan segment. The only characters that don't are Mickey, Evil Queen and Maleficent. There are several Mickeys and they are played by Mickey Artists only. The Evil Queen and Maleficent only play those characters because of costuming and heavy makeup needs. Monkeys play Pirates and all these play other characters in the Mark Twain finale as characters on the boat. By the way, the characters that have the heavy makeup, do their own makeup before the show. And Maleficent is a guy.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast