Trouble waiting in lines

I injured myself (shin splints) on my trip to Disneyland in February and I don't think I've fully recovered since standing/walking for extended periods of time starts to hurt. I am taking my daughter to Disneyland for the 1st time at the end of September and while I certainly don't want to take advantage of anything but am I able to get one of the guest assistance cards if standing/walking becomes painful?

In February I looked up advice on shin splints, it said to "stay away from your given sport for at least 6 months" ... does extreme Disneying count as a sport?

Re: Trouble waiting in lines

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiandtheMouse View Post
    In February I looked up advice on shin splints, it said to "stay away from your given sport for at least 6 months" ... does extreme Disneying count as a sport?
    i dont know anything about the GAC but i will say yes to Disneying being an extreme sport

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Just go slower and take things in smaller portions........there's no rule that says you have to rush around and see every single attraction before you go home.

Take advantage of Magic Morning and Fast Pass(I am not a fan of FP, but hey, since it's there, might as well get some use of it)

Spend the late afternoon by the hotel pool.

Maybe even schedule a massage.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

You should also check to see if your shoes are right for you for this trip.

February to now seems a long to time to have shin splints. Ice 'em and Advil.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Ride the train as much as possible to get from one area of the park to another. It can avoid a lot of walking and force you to sit once in a while. No such luck in DCA, obviously.

• Selfie Expert

If shin splints are still bothering you from February to September, you need to see a doctor. Even up until now, I'd be concerned.

As others have mentioned, wearing appropriate footwear is really important when you're spending a lot of time on your feet.

I'm not sure that your feet/shins hurting due to standing for a long period of time is appropriate use of a GAC, as everyone would then qualify for one. I'd take the advice of others and slow it down a bit if you feel sore.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Blew By You

My wife had them about 2 years ago. She was able to walk about Disneyland and DCA but sometimes her legs would ache the next day. She iced them and sometimes took Advil. I probably had splints too throughout the years but I ignored them.
    You could always stop by City Hall in Disneyland or Camber of Commerce in DCA and ask about a GAC card. The CMs are helpful and will let you know.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiandtheMouse View Post
    I certainly don't want to take advantage of anything but am I able to get one of the guest assistance cards if standing/walking becomes painful?
    They are going to recommend a wheelchair. The advice will also be "What are you going to do to help yourself?" My question is what are you expecting from a GAC? A GAC will generally allow you to wait in a different area than the standby line. It is not a usually a shorter line. It CAN be a longer line.

My suggestion would be to use Fastpasses as much as possible, use Mobile Magic to check where lines are short enough for you. And I second the "Check your shoes" as shin splints should not last 4 months. You might also check with your doctor.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Closed Account

First of all, shin splints in itself isn't an injury it's a symptom of an injury. Been there, done that, have that t-shirt,lol! You need to find out what your true injury is first before you just surrender to shin splits for months at a time. Shin splints are common a symptom of swollen or severely irritated muscles, a stress fracture in the lower leg, or flat feet. It's important for you to understand your actual injury before you try and just get used to the shin splints.

One of the most important things to do with shin splints is to ice it your shin every 4 hours for 20 minutes. You can accomplish this at Disneyland one of two ways: you can take your own ice pack, they are available at places like Walmart for around $2. They are one time use kind of things, you "pop" them to activate them, and throw them away when you are done with them. I have used these at Disneyland many times. Your other alternative is to go to the first aid station on Main Street USA when you need to ice your shin. I would recommend taking your own ice pack, but it's really up to you what you are more comfortable doing. The reason I like to take my own ice pack, is because when we stop to eat or take a break, I can then ice whatever is bothering me. Having to go all the way back to Main Street when you are in pain is not always the best solution.

Another thing that you will want to do is make sure that you carry plenty of anti-inflammatory medication with you. Those medications include aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen Sodium. You will want to take them on a set schedule (whatever works for you). I have found that aspirin and Naproxen Sodium both give me a sour stomach feeling at Disneyland, something about the heat, the walking, etc. One of the ways that I combat this is to get a Nesquik chocolate or strawberry milk at any of the dining places around Disneyland and take that with the anti-inflammatory.

The next thing that you will want to do is get a high quality pair of shoes. You will want arch supports that are custom made to your foot. You can use a machine most places to purchase the Dr Scholl’s that are the best fit for you. Or, you can go to a podiatrist if your insurance will pay for it, and get custom made ones. In a pinch, you can grab a pair of standard arch supports off of the shelf in any pharmacy, but the fit won’t be customized for you and your feet. You want to get these at least 7 days prior to your trip to Disneyland, along with whatever shoes you will be wearing, so that you can break them in, Disneyland is not the time to break in new shoes or new arch supports.

One last tip to handling your shin splints at Disneyland is to get yourself a neoprene sleeve that you are comfortable wearing. It will help give you the support you will need for a day at Disneyland. This is something that I recommend that you get ahead of time in order to get used to wearing it. They are not one size fits all, so research them, how to measure, and take a measurement of yourself to get what works for you.

When it comes to your day at Disneyland, here are a couple of things you can do to make the day go smoother:
    Take plenty of breaks. Don’t be afraid to sit down and take long breaks. Get a soda, a cup of ice water, a small snack, or whatever else fits your mood at the time, find a table in the shade, and just sit. Some of my favorite places to take a break are near the Rivers Of America, Village Haus, as well as Hungry Bear. If you need to do one ride, and then take a break before doing the next ride, that’s perfectly okay.

Avoid rides that cause you to be in an uncomfortable position, mainly rides with a small amount of leg room. The biggest offenders of this are Autopia and Winnie The Pooh. Also, avoid the “front row” in rides like It’s A Small World where there is significantly less leg room and you have to bend your leg more. If you are travelling with a group, try to get your own row whenever possible, so you have the space to stretch your leg out to the side to rest and relax it.

Avoid rides where you have to climb a lot of stairs to access the attraction such as Autopia.

As for whether a GAC card is right for you, I believe the answer to that question is no, for a couple of reasons. I am a firm believer of using a GAC when you need it, and when it will actually benefit you. In your case, a GAC card will not do you much good. The reason is that sometimes the lines will take longer, and will require you to stand a lot longer than the regular line will. There is no place to sit down in the handicapped lines, unless you have a wheelchair or ECV. About the only thing that it does help with, is that it avoids the stairs. If stairs are your biggest issue, they can give you a GAC that they stamp with a stairs stamp, which will allow you to not have to climb stairs at attractions that have them (mainly It’s A Small World and Autopia have the most stairs). If you truly believe that you “can’t walk” during your day at Disneyland, then an ECV or a wheelchair will serve you the best for the day. A GAC card won’t decrease the amount of time you are standing on your feet, nor will it decrease the walking around the park.

Good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy your day at Disneyland!

I'm not in the absolute top physical shape, simply because Disney is always a huge shock as far as the movement goes. I'm just always takin breaks, sitting down in lineups when I need to, taking breaks, etc. you should consult a doctor about the amount of work you'll be doing.

• Minion

If I were in your situation this is what I would do, go to City Hall and tell them what you're experiencing. I think they will recommend something for your situation, whether it be a GAC or not. If you do get a GAC I would only use it if I had to.
    Jeff Wayne