Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Would WestCot have really been better?

...because to be honest, I think WestCot would've suffered from the same problems that WDW's Epcot and the DCA 1.0 ha on focusing too much on an educational aspect with a lack in Disney charm,.

I'm in the minority here as I am glad that WestCot wasn't built. Epcot is a concept I can't imagine being cloned. It's too unique in of itself for that. I do however like the ideas that WestCot came up with to improve on the Epcot concept. The hotel within World Showcase would've been great for the original Epcot but to be honest I still prefer Epcot's World Showcase and the isolation of pavilions into countries instead of continents.

And again, they planned to build this park at a time when Disney was still clueless to the fact that having an educational Disney park was not working. DCA 1.0 being a hybrid version of an educational park showed that Westcot could've flopped just as easily had it been made.

To be fair, I like the idea of Disney doing educational theme parks, but if it was going to have a Disneyland park just a stone's throw away, such ideas were never going to fair out well, especially if the intention was to make Disneyland a tourist destination. Disney is more of an entertainment destination not an educational one.

Ironically however, the one park that I think would've worked as a Disney educational park was the one park that never got built. I am talking about Disney's America, and this is primarily because of it's location. Washington D.C. which is a major tourist destination with an educational aspect was the perfect location for this park. Heck, maybe Epcot should've been located there instead.

• Minion

Re: Would WestCot have really been better?

I think it could have if it was under the direction of the best imagineers in the company at the time.

• Minion

I think WestCot seemed boring. Also, there is no doubt its budget would've been cut severely. Epcot works because it's unique and there's nothing else like it.

Port Disney, I think, may have worked well though. Also, I'm with you in that I would've loved to see Disney's America come to fruition.

• Senior Minion

It would have failed because they would have spent about 3 billion less then it really would have cost to do it right. Not because of the educational aspects, it wasn't even going to be nearly as educational as the original.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    ...because to be honest, I think WestCot would've suffered from the same problems that WDW's Epcot and the DCA 1.0 ha on focusing too much on an educational aspect with a lack in Disney charm,.

I'm in the minority here as I am glad that WestCot wasn't built.
    In my opinion, it was a better idea than DCA. Given the circumstances at the time, any park would have been lacking for a long while, but despite all of the improvements, which have had a palpable and very positive effect in every respect, I'm still not sold on the idea of DCA at its most basic level.

And again, they planned to build this park at a time when Disney was still clueless to the fact that having an educational Disney park was not working.
    I know what you mean and basically agree, but I still think that both Disneyland and DCA, as they are today, could do a better job of incorporating educational elements, or in other words, they could be more inspirational in terms of learning while sacrificing none of the entertainment value, as I think Walt had intended; I'm not saying that he necessarily succeeded at this, either, but it seemed to be something that he wanted. This doesn't have to pervade every nook & cranny of the parks, but I'd still like more of what we get with the Rivers of America and Disneyland Railroad, for example, especially in a place like Tomorrowland.

To be fair, I like the idea of Disney doing educational theme parks, but if it was going to have a Disneyland park just a stone's throw away, such ideas were never going to fair out well, especially if the intention was to make Disneyland a tourist destination. Disney is more of an entertainment destination not an educational one.
    If you want to do something new, then you've got to be bold, and do things in a new and different way that people will embrace, like Walt did with Disneyland.

Ironically however, the one park that I think would've worked as a Disney educational park was the one park that never got built. I am talking about Disney's America, and this is primarily because of it's location. Washington D.C. which is a major tourist destination with an educational aspect was the perfect location for this park. Heck, maybe Epcot should've been located there instead.
    What do you think about the idea of turning Knott's Berry Farm (when it had been up for sale) into Disney's America, keeping Ghost Town and its other essential elements intact?
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-22-2013 at 09:44 PM.

• secure all cargo

DCA 1.0 being a hybrid version of an educational park showed that Westcot could've flopped just as easily had it been made.
    I don't think this was the main reason DCA 1.0 flopped, it was only one of many reasons.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I do and I don't agree. On one hand, heavy handed education might not work too well at a locals park like DLR sort of is. But westcot was supposed to be less educational than the original so who knows how it would have turned out. IMO, I prefer subtle education. The kind that immerses you into a time or subject. Experiencing something is much better than receiving a lecture, or being shown something.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Westcot had direction. Was it the best direction? Maybe, not. DCA 1.0 and the entire 2001 expansion was completely aimless.

Downtown Disney, DCA, the Grand Californian and Paradise Pier Hotel were all haphazardly thrown together. They existed because they were forced to rather than designed too. This continues to plague DCA today; the parks layout was not designed it was forced by the random ideas for various attractions and lands.

Westcot and the entire surrounding resort area had real thought put into design. Hotels were designed, not placed. They had purpose and were cohesively thought out. The layout of Westcot was designed. The overall resort would have been lightyears ahead than where we are now because everything had purpose, thought, and design.

Just look at the original resort plans for Westcot, notice the thought put into sight lines, crowd flow, hotel placement, etc. All intricately thought out.

Name:  westcot2_modeloverview.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  176.2 KB

image via yesterland

Nope. It wouldn't have been better in the long run. Westcot not on the cheap would have been better than DCA on the cheap, but inevitably, Epcot was failing in concept and so too would have Westcot. And there is no guarantee we wouldn't have ended up with cheapcot which would have been a worse disaster. Epcot is a two day park in size and yet only out draws Animal Kingdom by approximately 10%. They've thrown test track at it, Soarin, and Mission Space at it and it limps on. But that park could use a major overhaul. Of course, with all the restaurants and shops there, total revenue figures at that park relative to that at AK may be much further apart than attendance.

•   
    • Minion

like many others have said it would have been way better but only if money was thrown at it properly. The above design shows you how much better layed out it would have been.

• SORCERER

one thing is for sure, Harbor blvd would look allot nicer than it does now.

I wish that disneyland drive and harbor blvd ended up the way it should of

• Unhelpful User

Hey it might still become the 3rd gate

• No Disassemble!

WestCot could have had a lackluster opening and then received a "2.0" makeover just like DCA did.. if only the park had been built! WestCot getting shelved in place of DCA is on my top 5 list of reasons why I hate the Eisner regime. They nixed a well thought out park concept in WestCot just to satisfy a bunch of wealthy corporate investors so much so that Eisner even stuck a winery in the middle of it and invited all his "friends" for a party there prior to opening day.
    Last edited by G24T; 06-22-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Not if they did it right and were willing to spend money

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It is funny, most everyone who is a not a major Disney Nerd I have spoken to say DCA is one of their favorite parks... and I have to agree.. So I don't know if Westcot being built would have been better, as it never happened.. but I do know DCA has many many many lovers and fans. And I greatly adore the park it has become.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast