Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 105
  1. #46

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,882

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    Yeah that would be a good idea, either that or get to Rainforest cafe first and when she rolls up have security waiting there for her.... SUPRISE!!
    That would have been a pretty epic way to handle it. I do wonder if her head imploded when she got to Rainforest and saw the line there. She thought 15 minutes on a security checkpoint was bad...oh, welcome to the jungle...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  2. #47

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    That would have been a pretty epic way to handle it. I do wonder if her head imploded when she got to Rainforest and saw the line there. She thought 15 minutes on a security checkpoint was bad...oh, welcome to the jungle...
    From the original post, it sounded like she had a reservation at Rainforest café, so running ahead and putting your name on the list would not increase the wait for her.

  3. #48

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,882

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    From the original post, it sounded like she had a reservation at Rainforest café, so running ahead and putting your name on the list would not increase the wait for her.
    Yes, but on a day like Sunday, the line for the Rainforest was likely down the block with hour-long waits, and the "reservation" system there just means you wait less (but still for a while).

    So all I was saying there was that if she thought a 15 minute wait was a hassle, she was in for a real shock when she got to the Rainforest for a 30 minute wait or longer, plus huge crowds...since she probably thought her "reservation" and VIP status (sarcasm there) were going to get her swept in the door immediately.

    I wasn't saying anything about putting my own name down as a res. I was just saying that even without my doing anything, she was getting a bite from karma there because she was going to be waiting behind the 2084094009 others who were trying to go to Rainforest that day, and it was going to make the security line she'd complained about look like absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by Malina; 06-27-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  4. #49

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,542

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    From the original post, it sounded like she had a reservation at Rainforest café, so running ahead and putting your name on the list would not increase the wait for her.
    Not necessarily. She could have been meeting someone there at a set time without a reservation.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  5. #50

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not necessarily. She could have been meeting someone there at a set time without a reservation.
    She could have been, and it that case adding your name first would delay her further. But if either she or the friend she may have been meeting had a reservation, adding your name would only subject you to a long wait followed by bad food, and would not affect her at all.

  6. #51

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    48

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by beckramenoodles View Post
    What bothers me most is when parents are WAY too mad at their kids for absolutely no reason. Calm down! I understand you can be stressed on a hot day but how disrespectful when you're screaming in your child's face. Not the place for that.
    The last time we were there, we saw a very sweet looking toddler standing up in her stroller seat to get a better look at Mickey on Main St. Her mom (I assume) looked at her and said, nicely, "Do you want a treat later?" Then she screamed "Then Sit the ******* down!!" and yanked her down.
    I made very sure to catch her eye and shake my head in dismay at her behavior. Too many parents bring their kids to DLand because THEY want to be there, and then get mad at their kids for messing up THEIR good time. It's like the parents you see dragging their screaming and terrified kids on rides. Hire a babysitter if your kid is too scared to go on Space Mountain, don't traumatize them with rides that are big and scary to them.

  7. #52

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Few people enjoy being corrected by strangers in public.

    My favorite fantasy for the wheelchair assailant scenario is to "trip" the next time she bangs your leg and collapse on top of her in an apologetic heap.

  8. #53

    • Ducksketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bonafide SoCal original
    Posts
    141

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I agree with another poster who mentioned that the CM pointing out that you had an inhaler in your bag is totally inappropriate. One time, I had a CM pull out a pill bottle in my backpack and show his coworker - granted he was showing it off because I had covered it in rhinestones (what? I'm a pharmacist! I like to bedazzle the bottle I use to hold ibuprofen), but had it held some embarrassing medication, or had I been in a sour mood, I would have been really upset about it. Sounds like maybe they could use a bit more training in this regard.
    When dealing with these types of checkpoints you voluntarily submit to a limited search of your bags or other personal belongings as a condition of your admission to the park. You therefore have no expectation that your private belongings may not be scrutinized by the people you have already voluntarily submitted to for that limited search. If you have anything which may be embarrassing, or get you into trouble; you could easily place those items on your person before going through the checkpoint and not have it subjected to the limited search.

    In other words, you made a choice to reveal things you later considered personal or embarrassing. You knew there was going to be a bag search when you got into that line. All of these issues have already been vetted by a huge staff of Disney attorneys, and insomuch as these Disney searches are post 9/11, I doubt that there are many courts which would not accept the need to conduct "reasonable" inspections in the public interest of safety.

    But I agree that this is intrusive. I believe that most of these inspections are more about the amusement parks own definition of "contraband" other than about safety. More about denying someone from bringing in Subway sandwiches and two liter bottles of soda. Just put your private items in your pocket is all I'm saying.

  9. #54

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Searching a bag is different than the searcher sharing unique/interesting/potentially embarrassing items with coworkers in front of guests.

  10. #55

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,882

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Yup, Cassie. Plus there is a little law called HIPPAA which prohibits people from publicly sharing or disclosing others' medical information, including the medicines they have with them. Can they look at the bottles? Sure. Can they announce them where others can hear? Technically no.

  11. #56

    • Ducksketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bonafide SoCal original
    Posts
    141

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Searching a bag is different than the searcher sharing unique/interesting/potentially embarrassing items with coworkers in front of guests.
    Possibly, but we don't know if it really happened that way. Maybe one employee was just seeking advise about the item discovered by the other employee? This could just be a matter of different perspectives. I can tell you that when the police encounter what appears to be something "pharmaceutical in nature" which is not contained within a medicine bottle with the person's name and substance printed on it; there is always a suspicion that the contents may be for sale or distribution... or acquired by means other than legally. And in terms of inhalers, they are also used as a delivery method for other illicit drugs in clubs and other places. So when you submit to have those items inspected by anyone charged with being certain that among other safety reasons, also includes denying people from bringing in contraband, I can see why the items get extra scrutiny.

    I agree that there should never be any comments or actions which are either intentionally meant to embarrass or defame a person; that would be against Disney's policy anyway. But my point is still, that if I have anything that I want to keep private; I'm not going to allow a person the opportunity to see it or possibly make an uninformed comment about it in public. Why rely on the amusement park employee to be the one who you give that much power to? Why make a choice like that, and then be upset about later is all I am saying?
    Last edited by USS Seawolf; 07-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.

  12. #57

    • Ducksketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bonafide SoCal original
    Posts
    141

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yup, Cassie. Plus there is a little law called HIPPAA which prohibits people from publicly sharing or disclosing others' medical information, including the medicines they have with them. Can they look at the bottles? Sure. Can they announce them where others can hear? Technically no.
    You publicly volunteered your personal medical information at the voluntariy Disney search. You therefore waived any expectation of absolute privacy as the employee verified the items in your bag. Since inhalers and nicotine delivery devices are also used to distribute illicit drugs, that was the reason for the inquiry, and is reasonable.

    You always have the right to request that your search be done in a more private area with a supervisor if you have concerns about maintaining your private information. People who carry hypodermic needles for medical needs do this all the time at airports, courthouses and many other security screenings. But they advise the person making the search BEFORE the search begins. So it would always be your choice to articulate that information before you submitted to the voluntary search.

  13. #58

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,882

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    You publicly volunteered your personal medical information at the voluntariy Disney search. You therefore waived any expectation of absolute privacy as the employee verified the items in your bag. Since inhalers and nicotine delivery devices are also used to distribute illicit drugs, that was the reason for the inquiry, and is reasonable.

    You always have the right to request that your search be done in a more private area with a supervisor if you have concerns about maintaining your private information. People who carry hypodermic needles for medical needs do this all the time at airports, courthouses and many other security screenings. But they advise the person making the search BEFORE the search begins. So it would always be your choice to articulate that information before you submitted to the voluntary search.
    Sorry, but as someone who has carried needles and medications since high school, and has gone through security checkpoints all over the country and the world, I can tell you that the law doesn't work that way. HIPPAA is a federal law, and your rights are always protected unless you specifically authorize a disclosure in writing. Going through a checkpoint doesn't mean that you have waived your HIPPAA rights or authorized Disney's employees to publicly discuss your medication with whoever might be standing around.

    If they need to ask about something in your bag, if it is medication or something else that falls under HIPPAA, it is THEIR responsibility to pull you to the side and ask privately. It is NOT your responsibility to ask them to do that in advance or to disclose ANYTHING about your medication unless you are asked. They have a right to search and a right to ask; they don't have a right to violate HIPPAA.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  14. #59

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,183

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    When dealing with these types of checkpoints you voluntarily submit to a limited search of your bags or other personal belongings as a condition of your admission to the park. You therefore have no expectation that your private belongings may not be scrutinized by the people you have already voluntarily submitted to for that limited search. If you have anything which may be embarrassing, or get you into trouble; you could easily place those items on your person before going through the checkpoint and not have it subjected to the limited search.

    In other words, you made a choice to reveal things you later considered personal or embarrassing. You knew there was going to be a bag search when you got into that line. All of these issues have already been vetted by a huge staff of Disney attorneys, and insomuch as these Disney searches are post 9/11, I doubt that there are many courts which would not accept the need to conduct "reasonable" inspections in the public interest of safety.

    But I agree that this is intrusive. I believe that most of these inspections are more about the amusement parks own definition of "contraband" other than about safety. More about denying someone from bringing in Subway sandwiches and two liter bottles of soda. Just put your private items in your pocket is all I'm saying.
    I agree to an extent about submitting to a search voluntarily, however in my situation the CM pulled out the bottle not to invevstigate, but to show it off to his coworker. That is not appropriate, nor does it fall under his duty to perform a search of my belongings.

    Would it be appropriate for a CM to pull out and show off a tampon to a coworker? No. It is also not appropriate to show off a medication bottle, even if it is unlabeled and covered in rhinestones. Had he asked me permission, I would have happily obliged, but the fact that he just did it without asking was unprofessional.

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

  15. #60

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,183

    Re: Rude Guest incident - a quick vent

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    You publicly volunteered your personal medical information at the voluntariy Disney search. You therefore waived any expectation of absolute privacy as the employee verified the items in your bag. Since inhalers and nicotine delivery devices are also used to distribute illicit drugs, that was the reason for the inquiry, and is reasonable.

    You always have the right to request that your search be done in a more private area with a supervisor if you have concerns about maintaining your private information. People who carry hypodermic needles for medical needs do this all the time at airports, courthouses and many other security screenings. But they advise the person making the search BEFORE the search begins. So it would always be your choice to articulate that information before you submitted to the voluntary search.
    I think you misunderstand HIPAA. As a medical professional who is extremely versed in the matter, I would not say that it was within the CM's duties to share medical information. They had a right to see the objects in the bag, as that is involved in performing the search, but they had NO right whatsoever to say anything out loud about it unless there was a SECURITY issue. Sharing medical information is not at all part of performing a search. If they had a question about the contents of the inhaler or what it was for, they should discreetly ask the owner.

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Rude Guest at Haunted Mansion
    By PozEmerald in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
  3. A Good Ol Fashioned Vent Thread!
    By baileykat in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •