Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: What would you like to change in World of Color?

What would I like to change?

SO MUCH OF IT.

I brought in some people the other week.... and took them to see it. They're older so they love fireworks and water shows... and they were completely bored and wanted to leave. WANTED TO LEAVE.

This same couple just watched the fireworks thinking they were going to be really disappointed but it made them super happy.

World of Color did the OPPOSITE.

Why is that?

The over reliance on film clips rather than using the water fountains paired with music. For people who don't know the movies, they're not going to have a big attachment. But if you use the music and awesome water choreography, you'll keep BOTH the fans and the passive guests interested.

Mist screens should only be used as transitional and background elements... not the main focus. As it is right now, it's completely reversed and it's exhausting. We've all seen the movies before and we love them.. but seeing them on water ISN'T better.

Also... why the heck is Mufasa dying in the middle of this show? It has no story. It has no purpose. That's probably the biggest crime this show is doing in my opinion.

A lot of you have made great points and good places to cut or add... I don't want to get too into that because I can go on and on. But this show doesn't work. It needs to be fixed.

Is it still cool? yes of course. I still like it. But it's broken.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Mist screens should only be used as transitional and background elements... not the main focus. As it is right now, it's completely reversed and it's exhausting. We've all seen the movies before and we love them.. but seeing them on water ISN'T better.

Also... why the heck is Mufasa dying in the middle of this show? It has no story. It has no purpose. That's probably the biggest crime this show is doing in my opinion.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Whose crazy idea was it to make World of Color a show that can only be viewed from one specific spot in the park? That never made any sense to me. I can only guess it's to avoid crowding in certain areas of the pier but why not make the show so that it could be viewed from all areas of the lagoon and not have to worry about Fastpasses?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Did anyone know that W.o.C. stands for World of Commercials?

Because that's exactly what it has been ... and one big disappointment for me. It was not enough that we hear the same familiar songs in parades, fireworks shows, rides, .. But Disney actually thinks REPEATING them .. once again ... in a format with dancing waters canons and light .... is giving justice to the format?

I'll tell you what - Since I have seen Dancing Waters shows from around the world, that don't involve repeating the same old songs .. the same old scenes from various cartoons ...... this is what Disney can and should do ... as I finally get around to answering the question - Design an original show, that is more abstract - Sort of like Cirque Soleil meets Dancing Waters art format.

Or how about a compromise from an all-out commercial of projecting the same old scenes from the same old films and try this.........

How about a show with "Love" as the theme. Have the dancing waters create a red and white checkered format. Play "Belle notte" (A whole new recording - Not the same 1955 recording from the film) ... Don't even show Lady and Tramp .. just hint on the themes. And let the audience make the connection to the characters in their heads. That's part All-Disney .. and part abstract. And then move on to another "love" moment that does not make it so easy for you to make the connection - There would be a subtle nature to the show.

Just something ... where Disney is not just simply copying a scene ... to it's original music score directly off the film ... and do a few colored fountains around it.

It's as though the World of Color format .. is secondary .... while pumping audiences with a "pre show" as if they just popped in a DVD .. now .. have to go through these commercials before the main show starts .. except ... there is no main show.

I want to see an original show. Enough with the commercials!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 06-25-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Did anyone know that W.o.C. stands for World of Commercials?

I want to see an original show. Enough with the commercials!
    As I remember, the original show Steve Davison presented was much more abstract and fanciful. The score wasn't soundtrack playbacks but orchestral reinterpretations written specifically to match the story, and there was significantly less clip watching and lots of paper animation created specially by an artist to give the show this cool 2D dreamy-dimensional look that played well with the water screens.

Bob Iger disliked it (there's no accounting for taste with that man)...and so we got what we got now.

If I controlled the show, I would immediately cut 5 minutes off of it and forbid it from ever going over 23 minutes. I'd also focus on the music from Disney films that don't get a lot of playback. I know how sick we all are of "Under the Sea"...

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Whose crazy idea was it to make World of Color a show that can only be viewed from one specific spot in the park? That never made any sense to me. I can only guess it's to avoid crowding in certain areas of the pier but why not make the show so that it could be viewed from all areas of the lagoon and not have to worry about Fastpasses?
    I agree. Disney made a huge mistake, I think. They could have had a BIG spectacular show that utilized the entirety of Paradise Bay. It could have been viewable from any point around the lagoon. And it could have had an audience of 10,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    If I controlled the show, I would immediately cut 5 minutes off of it and forbid it from ever going over 23 minutes. I'd also focus on the music from Disney films that don't get a lot of playback. I know how sick we all are of "Under the Sea"...
    It would be very easy to cut at least 5 minutes from the show and make it much tighter. And it should be done. Most outdoor theme park shows run about 20 minutes. WOC is unusually long for no good reason.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yup... 22 minutes tops. This show is longer than Fantasmic! and that has a fire breathing dragon and a spectacular finale.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Down Pluto!

First thing - I'd change standing for an hour - 90 minutes if you want to get a place where you can see without gigantic people in front of you with kids on their shoulders or iPads over their heads. Show is too long for no seats, and too boring for an hour of infomercials with water spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    I would like to see a story driven show and not a commercial for the Disney Animated hits.
    All hail Brisal73! Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    And finally, holograms. Hologram technology is getting past the secret mad-scientist lab point and in the next few years will be something large companies can invest in.
    Science education is truly dead...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Diva Extrodinaire

So I'll go in to some detail of what I would love to see. Some ideas are ones that existed, some already are in the show, some are mine. Also, the show is really long - this is just for fun!

The opening would go the same without the couple of fountains during the Wonderful World of Disney part. No Tinker Bell on that mini-screen, maybe just the lasers that are involved and the sweeping lights. That mini-screen is impossible to view except for head-on. *I love the moment with the rainbow fog and the pop-jet fountains in the opening, and if that kind of mystery was the first time we saw the fountains, it could be awe-inspiring. The opening would go in to Spring Sprite, as originally planned. That would continue in to the current Pocahontas segment all the way through Little April Showers, which leads in to the Storm at Sea from Little Mermaid.

We then go underwater with the original demo version of Part of Your World and a shorter version of Under The Sea, mainly cutting most of the dance break. Crush will still be there, with more use of fountains and a shortened scene with Dory, mainly because the Pines of Rome segment is so cool. I want to integrate the screens more with the fountains and lights, such as having fountains simulating crashing waves as the whales fly and swim.

Rather than go in to Wall-E, we hear Peter Pan's whistle and we see the golden Jolly Roger fly across. We hear the old-fashion Disney choir sing a little bit of You Can Fly as clouds fly around, as do Peter, Wendy, Michael, and John. The fountains create Big Ben and the characters turn in to fountains flying around the Big Ben. Soon, the rooftops of London come in to sight as Bert sings a little bit of Chim-Chim-Cheree going in to a splashy version of Step In Time. A drumroll leads in to a circus scene from Dumbo. The tallest fountains represent Dumbo about to jump - it would be hard to project on the Fun Wheel, maybe lasers or holograms to make Dumbo! Soon, he jumps and using fountains, Dumbo flies around the bay and flies up in to the clouds. This leads in to the house from up! After, the Disney balloon, the lanterns from Tangled float up and we go in to a segment featuring I See The Light. We get the tail-end of A Whole New World with the orchestra swelling in to Go The Distance.

My villain section keeps changing, but as of now it starts with a cool, blue Hades section leading in to section with Dr. Facillier. The reading of the cards lead in to the cards from Alice in Wonderland and an "off with their heads" segment, involving the use of projections and fountains to simulate the cards falling in to the water. All of the sudden, a flame bursts out of the water. This leads in to the Firebird and Hellfire segment from the original version. The Scar section before is gone, but the Stampede is still there, if not slightly shortened and a little more use of projections of the wildebeests and the gorge. So Close goes back to the duet version, and it's less of a greatest hits of Disney's sad moments with the curtains and such. This section has more abstract fountains, but still projections of Dumbo, Bambi, and Lady and the Tramp. The Beast transformation is still there, and added in are Pinocchio and Ariel's finale transformations.

The finale is basically the same as before, but no Cheshire Cat or character "curtain call." The Sorcerer's Apprentice part is still there, as is the fire. The lasers no longer say the title, since it's a little redundant, instead the Mee Fog and LED lights glow in a sea of color. There may or may not be an exit fountain show, it might just be the lights glowing and the fog going as the fountains sink back in to the bay.

It's lengthy, and not everything would realistically happen, but I can dream, right?
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

I would like for the fountains in the planters to go off when Zurg is taking aim at the audience. that would make the show seem real. haha.
    Sleeping on Disney sheets...zzz

http://imagineartony.blogspot.com/

I recently saw a video of the Disneyland Paris show dreams. I think that their use of video clips is superior to the order of Video used in WOC at California Adventure. Now I know they're two different programs but I feel the use of video at Disneyland Paris has a better order of clips and they use the castle in a unique way that is superior to multiple myst screens in my opinion. Here's a link to the full show it is about 22 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8jN...e_gdata_player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12