Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Re: Why DCA badly needs Monsters Inc Coaster in Hollywood Land!

I love Monsters Inc (haven't seen the new one yet), and I think they ought to install Tokyo's Ride and Go Seek as an out-of-"berm" ride which could be loaded where the Maliboomer used to be. This would be a highly detailed ride that could fit in with the pier, in that it would be an interactive game-based ride like Midway Mania. I don't mind that it would be a recycled idea based off of another Disney park because it's Tokyo and I'm sure it's less likely that any of us DL locals will go to TDL than, say, WDW.

Then they would be free to destroy the existing Monsters ride, which (as we all know) was just a lazy patch job for the limo ride, and free up space for a 1930s/40s inspired Hollywoodland ride.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I love Monsters Inc (haven't seen the new one yet), and I think they ought to install Tokyo's Ride and Go Seek as an out-of-"berm" ride which could be loaded where the Maliboomer used to be. This would be a highly detailed ride that could fit in with the pier, in that it would be an interactive game-based ride like Midway Mania. I don't mind that it would be a recycled idea based off of another Disney park because it's Tokyo and I'm sure it's less likely that any of us DL locals will go to TDL than, say, WDW.

Then they would be free to destroy the existing Monsters ride, which (as we all know) was just a lazy patch job for the limo ride, and free up space for a 1930s/40s inspired Hollywoodland ride.
    Bingo!

• Minion

Sorry but how exactly would it fit in with the theme? A trip to Monstropolis from Paradise Pier seems like a stretch too far to me.
    However, I wouldn't be completely against a Monsters Inc ride in Paradise Pier as long as they somehow made it fit the theme and allowed for a proper Hollywoodland expansion.

• -

So it is ok to put an out of theme attraction on the pier, but not in Hollywood? I feel any new attraction, no matter where it is placed, should fit in with it's surroundings.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Sorry but how exactly would it fit in with the theme? A trip to Monstropolis from Paradise Pier seems like a stretch too far to me.
    However, I wouldn't be completely against a Monsters Inc ride in Paradise Pier as long as they somehow made it fit the theme and allowed for a proper Hollywoodland expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So it is ok to put an out of theme attraction on the pier, but not in Hollywood? I feel any new attraction, no matter where it is placed, should fit in with it's surroundings.
    Seeing as Paradise Pier is a collection of rides with characters slapped on them, I guess not seeing a theme to match to can be forgiven.

• Future Imagineer

Why not make a Monsters Inc Spook House ride in Paradise Pier (either in the maliboomer spot with the building behind CS, or replacing GSS). It would use a combo of the trackless tech of Mystic Manor and the flashlight system of Monsters Inc: Ride and Go Seek to allow a fun interactive ride. The story could take place after the events of MI, where once a year (October 31st, the festival of screams, to be exact ) they come to a haunted house to let out some screams and still collect the energy from it. They use the doors to teleport you into their world and to their "haunted" house. You'll queue up outside (with a lot of shade) and have a few scenes and a preshow with Mike before you board the "scare-mobile" but while you are on the ride, your flashlights startle the monsters and cause they to mess up (most of the time comedically) and at the end of each "scare" you'll see how much energy was collected (different for each vehicle depending on the riders' reaction). And the second to last (saving the best for last) scene will be the Sulley scare where most of the energy will be collected and then you enter a room filled with the canisters (with the energy from each scare displayed on the side) and all the monsters are there with mike to tally your score and give you a rating (similar to TSMM) and congratulate you before you exit the ride

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It could be a midway pier kind of ride

• -

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It could be a midway pier kind of ride
    A midway ride would be fine. It would fit the theme of the pier, however that is not what was suggested.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Random thought: if anything monsters goes in Hollywoodland it should be harryhausen's ...due to its namesake

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    Why not make a Monsters Inc Spook House ride in Paradise Pier (either in the maliboomer spot with the building behind CS, or replacing GSS). It would use a combo of the trackless tech of Mystic Manor and the flashlight system of Monsters Inc: Ride and Go Seek to allow a fun interactive ride. The story could take place after the events of MI, where once a year (October 31st, the festival of screams, to be exact ) they come to a haunted house to let out some screams and still collect the energy from it. They use the doors to teleport you into their world and to their "haunted" house. You'll queue up outside (with a lot of shade) and have a few scenes and a preshow with Mike before you board the "scare-mobile" but while you are on the ride, your flashlights startle the monsters and cause they to mess up (most of the time comedically) and at the end of each "scare" you'll see how much energy was collected (different for each vehicle depending on the riders' reaction). And the second to last (saving the best for last) scene will be the Sulley scare where most of the energy will be collected and then you enter a room filled with the canisters (with the energy from each scare displayed on the side) and all the monsters are there with mike to tally your score and give you a rating (similar to TSMM) and congratulate you before you exit the ride
    I think its a good idea, they can even repurpose the audio animatronics.

• I'm a Lutheran

There are ways to make it work in Hollywood Land. If they put it in, they're not going to just throw it in there and call it a day. It's going to be put in masterfully, creatively, and if all goes well - beautifully. Imagineers are smart. They know what they're doing. Are some ideas better than others? Yes. Do I agree with all of their ideas? No. But, they do know what they're doing, and if given the chance and enough time, they can really create something incredible. Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, Grizzly Gulch, and Mystic Manor are all wonderful examples of WED still being alive and well today.

I for one will welcome any choice they make - as long as it's done right.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    There are ways to make it work in Hollywood Land. If they put it in, they're not going to just throw it in there and call it a day. It's going to be put in masterfully, creatively, and if all goes well - beautifully. Imagineers are smart. They know what they're doing. Are some ideas better than others? Yes. Do I agree with all of their ideas? No. But, they do know what they're doing, and if given the chance and enough time, they can really create something incredible. Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, Grizzly Gulch, and Mystic Manor are all wonderful examples of WED still being alive and well today.

Bravo Well Said let's keep the momentum going!

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post

Well said, and I agree

I think everyone's a little too concerned about how this "fits" in Hollywood Land. I think it's abundantly clear that if Monstropolis were built, it would be an entirely new land using property annexed from Hollywood Land. It's no different than Pacific Wharf being next to Cars Land - they're unrelated. One is not a sub-land within another or anything of the sort.

Monstropolis would be a separate themed land, period. So all these ways of justifying its place within Hollywood Land seem superfluous. I feel strongly that it would work out this way not only because it makes total and complete sense from a guest point of view, but also because it's the only thing that makes sense from a marketing point of view. "Remember Cars Land, the huge, immersive theme land added to Disney California Adventure? Now, we proudly introduce Monstropolis, another themed land complete with rides, shows, and attractions themed to Disney - Pixar's Monsters." Doesn't that sound better than "New in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure is a sub-area themed to Monstropolis!" Why bother hanging on to a connection to Hollywood Land when it's got absolutely no benefit? This would be an entirely independent land reusing some old wasted space.

As for quality, they've definitely learned a lesson. Why in the world would they do something halfway after seeing the incredible benefit of quality as they have? This wouldn't be a "soundstages and facades Monsters Studios" kind of place anyway - they'd go the full monty and make it a real, full-scale city. If it happens, I'll be floored, and I am not world's largest Monsters fan.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Minion

I'd rather they bring Monstropolis to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida instead of copypasting Carsland. Could have the Door Coaster and an MU-based version of Ride and Go Seek there and maybe they could move Laugh Floor over there too.

I just don't think there's enough room in Hollywoodland for Monstropolis to be done in a satisfying way, plus there's other things that'd be a better fit into the space.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast