Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Why DCA badly needs Monsters Inc Coaster in Hollywood Land!

I don't think I have seen Radiator Springs on a map of California either. No one except some internet fans are being sooo literal about the California theme. Including Imagineers. The park IS, what they want it to be and not what WE wish it was. Its just that simple. Then we decide if we like it or not, be we don't get to make decisions about what we think the park represents in terms of theme.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Those Marvel Ideas are going to the 3rd Park!
    Wow, exclamations should be reserved for facts, not personal beliefs. The third park is nothing but a rumor at this point, and what would go into that park is even further from reality. Marvel can go anywhere Disney wishes it to.

Monsters Inc has no place in DCA. Or Disneyland for that matter. MAYBE if they did a spook house on PP to gather screams or Mike had somehow built his own movie studio, then these original attractions based on the Monsters Inc property could work to a degree. But just plopping a film-based attraction and mini land is a terrible idea. DCA had minilands, they didn't work so they quickly made fewer larger lands. That little corner has great potential for something to amaze guests and help cement the ideas of DCA instead of going the easy route and shoving things where they don't belong.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Banned User

If they realy try and somehow tie it into Hollywood in any way, then I am great with this expansion. If they dont, and just plop it down with absolutely no tie to either California or Hollywood in any way, then I would be extremely dissappointed in imagineering. However, I dont believe they would do that for a second.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    If they realy try and somehow tie it into Hollywood in any way, then I am great with this expansion. If they dont, and just plop it down with absolutely no tie to either California or Hollywood in any way, then I would be extremely dissappointed in imagineering. However, I dont believe they would do that for a second.
    They plopped toys from the latter half of the 20th century onto an early 20th century boardwalk and justified it by saying its a contemporary toy set.

• Banned User

The building, queue and boardwalk ride aspect to it make it work beautifully.
    Im just curious how, when some people are incredibly bothered by every single mis-step in theme, as you percieve it, could possibly just relax and have a good time at the parks. This isnt one of those," well if you dont like it, then just dont go," posts. I cant stand that argument. But, sometimes I wonder why you would. Whether you have fond memories of the past, or have hopes that somehow the structure of the parks will change to fit your view of "theme park integrity," it still must be agaonizing to walk through the parks and see things the way you do. Just cant imagine why I would want to do that to myself.
    However, I know many of you have been going to DL alot longer than I have and have certain feelings I couldnt understand.
    While I know that Disney does not adhere to exacting and perfect theme placement and they kind of try to fudge it a little, what I most appreciate is the LEVEL of theming to EVERYTHING they do. Thats why I love Disney parks so much, and it particular DLR.
    Last edited by planodisney; 06-30-2013 at 08:32 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The building, queue and boardwalk ride aspect to it make it work beautifully.
    That's a rather shallow justification. Where is the depth to the exterior place? Is theme something meaningful that informs a series of experiences or merely a decorative aesthetic draped over otherwise unrelated experiences?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    They plopped toys from the latter half of the 20th century onto an early 20th century boardwalk and justified it by saying its a contemporary toy set.
    What is wrong with that? They plopped late 18th to early 19th century pirates in 1850's New Orleans Square, and I don't see any concern. As long as they theme it to match that of the pier, which they do with Victorian architecture and a midway theme, I do not see an issue.

• Banned User

The answer is NOTHING is wrong with that.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    What is wrong with that? They plopped late 18th to early 19th century pirates in 1850's New Orleans Square, and I don't see any concern. As long as they theme it to match that of the pier, which they do with Victorian architecture and a midway theme, I do not see an issue.
    That's not theming, it's decorating. It has no depth. With this concept of theme the design decisions are without consequence. Great themed experiences are a total package informed by the concept, not just covered with the right trim.

The relevance of Pirates of the Caribbean to New Orleans Square has been discussed ad naseum.

• Banned User

No, the consequence of Midway Mania is that its one of the most popular attractions in the resort. I honestly cant believe anyone would believe Disney BETRAYED their theme park integrity with Midway Mania, a Midway type of attraction, set in a beautiful Victorian building.
    Honestly lazyboy970, and we are just talking Midway Mania here, do you think even 1/2/of1% of people who flock to that ride and love it, disect that whole situation the way you do? They had a great concept, one which was completely designed for PP BTW, they had characters they wanted to use in that concept and THEY felt it fit perfectly, according to their interpretation of PP, into the overall theme, and it was wildly successful.
    Do you understand that while needing to maintain standards, on a concept like MM for PP, there is no way they would make a decision, or should they, based upon a tiny, tiny fraction of a percent of people who would find the location of MM objectionable.
    That would be corporate suicide to run a business that way.

• No Disassemble!

The Hollywood Back Lot is big enough to technically be re-zoned as a Monsters-land type place. On the park map it wouldn't stand out much but on foot it may be kind of weird if a guest were to walk down Hollywood blvd, hang a left into Monstropolis through some unmarked backdrop's entrance, and then head back out the farther corridor back onto Hollywood again.

I'd like to see the imagineers build a replica of the El Capitan for guests to pass through to Monstropolis and then make Monstropolis look super vivid and surreal, like the guest was transported into a 3D movie. Maybe they could also make the Jimmy Kimmel studio building as an alternate gateway.

Of course this would mean that the gigantic painted backdrop would need to have the El Cap removed from it.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The relevance of Pirates of the Caribbean to New Orleans Square has been discussed ad naseum.
    So has this. They are midway games located on a midway. That is why they fit.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I don't think I have seen Radiator Springs on a map of California either. No one except some internet fans are being sooo literal about the California theme. Including Imagineers. The park IS, what they want it to be and not what WE wish it was. Its just that simple. Then we decide if we like it or not, be we don't get to make decisions about what we think the park represents in terms of theme.
    It's shown in the film itself being in Arizona. It works for California Adventure as Route 66 was the way a lot of people used to come to California and Radiator Springs is a distillation of all the iconic 66 stops in one location, plus with placement, you have the land's Route 66 ending at Paradise Pier like how the real 66 ends at the Santa Monica Pier. Also, California Car culture.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So there's your solution, extend the PIER theme to all of CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE and it can be a random mismash like Knott's

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast