Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Help Me Wow A 67-Year-Old Relative at Disneyland!

Booked the Flower Tour! Also, a dessert dinner at Blue Bayou, VIP seating for Fantasmic, and Carthay Circle dinner for priority Word of Color seating. Thinking about adding a 5th day now...

Oh...we're so going to rock the Dole Whip outside the Tiki Room. I've never had one, we're not leaving the parks without trying one.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I hope you three have a wonderful time. Do make sure to give us a trip report!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    As a regular and an annual pass holder at Disneyland, my suggestions for your lovely Mother in law would be...Start off on Main street viewing the Incredible Mr. Lincoln. Most of us "older folks" love history and this is a spectacular show.
    My wife is in love with Peter Pan's Flight. This forum helped me out three years ago because my wife had never been, and I was angsting about which ride should be her first. Settled on Peter Pan based on the forum advice, and brother, was that the right call. She started tearing up halfway through it. We left the ride and headed to Dumbo, and it was clear she was barely holding it together. In line for the Elephants, I asked her what was wrong, and she began to cry, saying, "It really is the happiest place on Earth."

So we started every morning with Peter Pan, don't see anyway of changing that when we go with her mother -- maybe I can talk them into going to CarsLAnd early one mornng.

She's going to love Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, though.

If you would like any further info please don't hesitate to ask! I think this would be a good start for her.
    Thank you so much -- all of that sounds great!

Fantasmic! dessert seating

all the shows of course

if you can convince her, rent a wheelchair. for older guests it makes a big difference. before my parents had to use wheelchairs more or less full time, we would rent them to use when they got tired. at the time we just used the wheelchair between locations like a child's stroller.

If you want a show/attraction type a day:

Disneyland:

• Moments With Mr. Lincoln
    • Mickey's Soundsational Parade
    • Mickey and the Magical Map
    • Enchanted Tiki Room (Enjoy a Dole Whip)
    • Fantasmic!
    • Magical! Firework Spectacular

Disney California Adventure:

• Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular

• It's Tough To Be A Bug
    • Pixar Play Parade
    • Instant Concert! - Just Add Water
    • World of Color

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I would argue that RSR is not that turbulent its has just a few moments but its nothing like SMt or Matterhorn if she can stand driving with a teenager for 4 minutes she going to be ok but let her decide.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Closed Account

While Radiator Springs Racers might not be "turbulent", it's definitely a "thrill" type ride, which she said that her mother did not like. Additionally, with back problems, you shouldn't be riding Radiator Springs Racers for sure.

She wants to ride the Tower of Terror, so I figure she can handle Radiator Springs Racers. She has spinning issues, so Teacups and Mater and Silly Symphony Swings are probably out, but we're just going to have to see how she's feeling on a given day and not pressure her. I'd love it if she could ride Star Tours, for instance, but I'll have to ride it first to see if the new version is more turbulent than the 1980's version.

Oh, I heard they put a new track in the Matterhorn and new cars...is the ride any smoother than the older version, or is it pretty much the same?

• Selfie Expert

The Matterhorn is really rough, rougher than before in my personal opinion (and it seems to be a popular opinion on the boards).

Star Tours is one of the few rides that will give me motion sickness - though it's one of my favorites so I endure the inevitable dizziness. I would definitely recommend you do as you said and take a ride on it before having her go.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Matterhorn is not smoother. Matterhorn is awful. I went with a small group in April and while we all enjoyed it, we couldn't go again because it was too bumpy and bruised us.

Space Tours doesn't have the kind of jerky moves that would hurt someone with a bad back, I don't think, but does have the potential to be a little disorienting.

• Selfie Expert

Star Tours is a pretty rough ride - you will be bounced around. Not nearly as bad as Matterhorn, but it could exacerbate a sore back. I would again emphasize that you should give it a ride and judge for yourself if you think it's something she could handle.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If you have time, take her to Newport Beach for a half a day of shopping and dining in Fashion Island (what I consider as the "Rodeo Drive of Orange County"). Just so she can have a break from Disneyland for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Star Tours is a pretty rough ride - you will be bounced around. Not nearly as bad as Matterhorn, but it could exacerbate a sore back. I would again emphasize that you should give it a ride and judge for yourself if you think it's something she could handle.
    Thanks, Kelly.

This is our Itinerary so far...

Sunday - Disneyland, Golden Horseshoe, lunch somewhere around Tom Sawyer's Island, dinner at the Blue Bayou, last night of 4th of July fireworks.

Monday - Disneyland Horticultural Tour at 10:00 a.m.; Evening VIP Seating for Fantasmic

Tuesday - Break

Wednesday - Early entry to Disneyland, hopping over to California Adventure, VIP Aladdin seating, dinner at Carthay Circle, VIP seating for World of Color...

Thursday - Mopping up anything we missed at the parks, and anything we want to see again.

when you select your seats for Fantasmic, try and stay a seat or two away from the large masonry railing posts if you are in the first two rows, they block your view if you are too close.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast