Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Disneyland worth moving back to CA for?

I grew up 30 minutes from DLR and went several times a year, I moved to Texas about 3 years ago to raise my daughter (extremely long story) and my daughter is turning 2 on July 31st. We've been back to CA twice now. The first time my daughter went she was about 5-6 months old, too young to really have fun or understand. We went again last December (she was 1 and a half) and I seriously underestimated the Disney fanatic this kid already is. She's only watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before going and knew all the characters when she saw them and went insane seeing the CM's walking around in the costumes. When walking through the parking garage, she made me walk up to all the Mickey zone parking signs so she could touch them.

She's almost 2 and everything is about Disney, I watch a Disney movie and a few Disney shows at least once a day. Usually Toy Story 1-3 and the shows are Doc Mcstuffins and Sofia, at her request of course. She can already name most of the characters and yells "OI STORY!" when we walk through the front door.

I think I love Disney just as much as she does, my dream job ever since I was a kid was being a Disney Imagineer. Being a male growing up with no father figure in my life, as soon as I was told I was having a daughter I was horrified about having nothing to relate to her as she grows older.

Our lives aren't as promising as we'd had thought they would be upon moving out here and my mom has been bribing me to move back by paying for my schooling so I'm seriously considering it but not entirely sure if I'm making the best decision for our family.

The only thing that worries me is California politics and the CA economy.

Just confining in complete strangers who share our same affinity for the Disney parks and curious what you would do in my situation.

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland worth moving back to CA for?

I don't think you should ever make proximity to a theme park a priority. But it sounds like you have a lot of other reasons to consider moving. I think having a Grandma around is great for a kid so that's a plus. I'm also a pretty big supporter of education so if that's an option you should consider that carefully. It's not an absolute necessity for success, but it does make finding a living wage job a lot easier. The California economy is getting much better, nothing like it was four or five years ago. There's a lot more construction going on then there has been in years in a lot of So Cal.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Come back for the weather

My mom had the opportunity to move us back to her hometown after my dad left. She stayed, and she's always regretted it. I would have liked to grow up near the beach instead of the river, you know.

But now I'm by the beach and Disneyland, and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDinSOXicated View Post
    I grew up 30 minutes from DLR and went several times a year, I moved to Texas about 3 years ago to raise my daughter (extremely long story) and my daughter is turning 2 on July 31st. We've been back to CA twice now. The first time my daughter went she was about 5-6 months old, too young to really have fun or understand. We went again last December (she was 1 and a half) and I seriously underestimated the Disney fanatic this kid already is. She's only watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before going and knew all the characters when she saw them and went insane seeing the CM's walking around in the costumes. When walking through the parking garage, she made me walk up to all the Mickey zone parking signs so she could touch them.

She's almost 2 and everything is about Disney, I watch a Disney movie and a few Disney shows at least once a day. Usually Toy Story 1-3 and the shows are Doc Mcstuffins and Sofia, at her request of course. She can already name most of the characters and yells "OI STORY!" when we walk through the front door.

I think I love Disney just as much as she does, my dream job ever since I was a kid was being a Disney Imagineer. Being a male growing up with no father figure in my life, as soon as I was told I was having a daughter I was horrified about having nothing to relate to her as she grows older.

Our lives aren't as promising as we'd had thought they would be upon moving out here and my mom has been bribing me to move back by paying for my schooling so I'm seriously considering it but not entirely sure if I'm making the best decision for our family.

The only thing that worries me is California politics and the CA economy.

Just confining in complete strangers who share our same affinity for the Disney parks and curious what you would do in my situation.
    CA politics and economy are horrid and only getting worse. I find CA to be quite intolerant and reactionary and anti-business. Now granted it's not a terrible place to live but if I had an opportunity to pick another state to live in I'd most likely move out. All my connections are here though.

You're number 1 concern though is which place provides the best opportunities for your little one. Best of luck on your decision; I do not envy having to make such difficult life choices. I'll keep you and all other people in your situation in my prayers tonight. Good luck!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• No Disassemble!

If you can get by comfortably here with our crazy taxes then I'd say go for it? I've traveled to many states in this country and despite seeing all these cool different places I still can't fathom the idea of moving away from here. I would stress the whole tax thing though. A lot of my employees and friends have actually moved back to Texas just because of taxes and cost of living.

Irvine, CA is the safest city in the U.S. and has been for 8 years now. There is housing for every income bracket and their school district is awesome. If I didn't have so many long term commitments in San Diego I'd move there in a heartbeat but since you appear to be looking I'd recommend starting there.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    CA politics and economy are horrid and only getting worse. I find CA to be quite intolerant and reactionary and anti-business. Now granted it's not a terrible place to live but if I had an opportunity to pick another state to live in I'd most likely move out. All my connections are here though.
    Maybe two years ago I would align myself with this opinion but California has grown a lot stronger since then. The tech industry is in such a hiring rush that bachelors degrees no longer are necessary to qualify for a tier II position, medical jobs are in such high demand that technical schools are falling behind on student output, and with the reversal of prop 8 & DOMA there will be high demand for middle income housing foreseeable for at least the next couple of years (since to date same sex marriages are only recognized in the state you were married in). Also if immigration reform passes were looking at a few billion coming in just from new taxable citizens.
    Last edited by G24T; 06-26-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

I wouldn't move anywhere just to be closer to a theme park. I know some people do that but, for me, I would need a MUCH better reason to move somewhere. I can think of lots of better reasons to move to California than Disneyland.

If you're worrying about California's economy and politics, I'd say stay in Texas.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I would stay in Texas if I were you.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

•   
    • Minion

I'd move out of Texas for California in a heartbeat - I prefer the politics, environment and culture here by a longshot.

State preferences aside: if you're not happy where you are and have the financial means to move and make a change...hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. However, I wouldn't base a decision around a theme park. Disneyland might be ONE of many things that appeals to you about SoCal and motivates you to move but if it's the only thing it's not a good reason.

And if you're coming back to go to school, well, Southern California has an abundance of excellent public and private universities. UCLA, USC, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, the Claremont Colleges, and so on are top notch. Maybe that would be a better deciding factor: where you want to study.
    Last edited by Malina; 06-27-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Selfie Expert

I fear this thread will go into a political debate...

I would way the pros and cons - I empathize with your concerns about the politics in CA not agreeing with your own, but also consider what benefits you would gain. Schooling is a big deal and could afford you a better lifestyle. Disneyland is a bonus, but I wouldn't consider it to be a reason to move your family.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

You gain living close to family again, your daughter gains the ability to have Grandma stable in her life, you get further education and Disneyland for you and your daughter to share more than ever together by moving back to Cali? And Texas didnt turn out as great as you hoped?

Come back home Red.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

I would go back to California, the education alone is worth it, the cost of education in California is quite low compared to most states, and that would be good for your daughter as well.

No way can Texas ever give the same opportunities as California in my opinion.

• Minion

Don't make a decision on the basis where Disneyland is. In the big picture of life Disneyland should be a tiny dot in the corner. Other things are much more important.

• Closed Account

There is a lot to consider about if living in California is right for you, and Disneyland should not even be in that list of considerations (in my honest opinion). First of all, there is the job market. Right now, California is seeing it's lowest unemployment rate since 2008, but it's still over 8%,do you have a job prospect here? California is not a state that is easy to survive in, especially if you cannot get a job here.

Secondly, can you afford to live in California? California has a higher cost of living than Texas, and a higher cost of living than most places. You need to have a solid plan and a solid income to live in California. You also need a substantial savings if you won't have employment right away. Keep in mind that California has a lot higher taxes than Texas as well.

Schools are hit and miss in California. Some are low ranking, many are overcrowded, but there are some solid winners in California as well.

Someone mentioned Irvine with great schools, that is true, but the average cost of rent in Irvine is almost $1,300 a month. Again the question becomes, can you afford California?

Being closer to family and Disneyland is nice, but you need to decide if you can actually afford to live in California. If the answer is yes, then you can weigh in being closer to family and closer to Disneyland.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

When my daughter was a month old, I moved back to CA so she could be near her only grandparent. And I never regret that move. Being a native Southern Californian, I knew what I was coming back to. It was not a light decision and frankly being able to live with my sister to get my feet under me for the first few months helped as well. For me, raising her near relatives was very important and to get the chance to do so was something I couldn't pass up. I grew up with family and grandparents and I think having that is stabilizing for a child. As a side note, she has been going to the parks since she was about 2 and is a Disney fan now at 6. But the decision to make the move was solely dependent on what was the best for her in the long run. Being closer to the parks was only a side benefit, albeit a nice one.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Minion

I'd move back. No state is perfect, so pack up. In fact, SoCal will be feeling a lot like Texas in the next few days with 100 plus degree weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast