Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Disney Pixar, Planes: Soaring Over Cars Land & the U.S.A.

I liked all 3 of those movies "jlw"!!

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Cars 2 was not TERRIBLE. That's a hugely dramatic over exaggeration.
    I think that some folks are judging Cars 2 by Pixar's standards, which in their view are rather high.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    It wasn't great, but little boys loved it, as a dad who has one who has multiple friends. It was decently entertaining and for me, still better than the last Shreck and better than all of the Madagascar movies.
    Anything is better than DreamWorks' dreck. Personally, I don't see any appeal in even their more popular titles, so sure, Cars 2 is good in comparison. In the big picture, however, it's mediocre and fundamentally so, which means that it was probably a best-effort made solely for the sake of merchandizing without a worthwhile story that the filmmakers really wanted to tell. This may be another reason some people consider it terrible, and why Planes is practically being shunned. The endless sequels just for merchandizing thing had gotten old a long time ago. Make a great sequel based on a compelling story that begged to be told, and the public will thank you for it, but if it's less than great, then be prepared to face their battle-hardened cynicism, vocal displeasure, and suspicion that the studio is selling out.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-29-2013 at 07:43 AM.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Cars 2 also made the top three for the least attended opening day Pixar film joining the likes of Ratatouille and Up

Okay, I'll give you Ratatouille, but Up? I personally love Up and think the intro is one of the sweetest love stories I've ever seen. I also think Russel is a hoot! My 4-year-old son and his friends agree. As to Cars 2, as has been stated by others, boys love both Cars movies.

It was also the first Pixar film to not be nominated for an Oscar. I would say that I'm not the only one who believes it was terrible!
    Well, if not being nominated for an Oscar makes a movie terrible, there are lots of terrible movies made every year, including Gran Torino, Sin City, Blade Runner, the original King Kong, Touch of Evil, The Master...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Closed Account

Cars was fantastic, the original Cars. Cars 2 was absolute crap. Straight out. The only reason the merchandise sold was because it had the characters from the first movie Cars. It had nothing to do with the movie Cars 2. Disney kept the momentum going to sell the merchandise, plain and simple. The characters in Cars 2 were fun, of course, because they were the same lovable characters from Cars. Had they changed the characters, it would have made the movie even worse. The draw by then had nothing to do with Cars 2, but the characters like Lightning McQueen, Mater, Luigi, etc who were already popular from the first movie, and of course kids wanted to "collect them all" in the toy series, which is why the merchandising did so well.

The fact of the matter is, I have not met anyone, of any age, who likes Cars 2. We saw the movie in a screening with 100 families with kids, mostly boys, ages 3-9. Within the first half hour, the kids were disappointed by the movie. There were more than a dozen families who walked out of the theater. To me, that shows that Cars 2 is junk. I have also come across people who have purchased the DVD for their kids only to turn around and try to sell it on E-bay because their child disliked it so much. It's really a matter of opinion.

The Cars franchise was brilliant, of course, but Cars 2 was a disgrace to the franchise, plain and simple. The fact that anyone is now considering a spin off of the Cars franchise is even more ludicrous. I know they are trying to sell toys, vs. sell a movie, but to me, that shouldn't jeopardize the quality of a movie.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Okay, I'll give you Ratatouille, but Up?
    Well, if not being nominated for an Oscar makes a movie terrible, there are lots of terrible movies made every year, including Gran Torino, Sin City, Blade Runner, the original King Kong, Touch of Evil, The Master...
    I loved Up, don't get me wrong, I was just stating the facts, Cars 2, Ratatouille, and Up are considered Pixar's biggest bombs. The problems with Ratatouille are clear, Up I think the characters weren't as marketable to children, and that's why it wasn't a winner.

As for the Oscar nomination thing, Pixar movies have always been nominated for Oscars because they were top quality, winning movies. Cars 2 not being nominated for an Oscar, shows just how bad the movie was by Pixar standards. If a lesser quality studio had put out Cars 2, or had it been a stand alone movie not following a huge movie that was popular, it would have been more likeable. The fact that it was a Pixar film showed that they are laxing their standards and punching out movies quickly, rather than worrying about quality.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

As for the Oscar nomination thing, Pixar movies have always been nominated for Oscars because they were top quality, winning movies. Cars 2 not being nominated for an Oscar, shows just how bad the movie was by Pixar standards. If a lesser quality studio had put out Cars 2, or had it been a stand alone movie not following a huge movie that was popular, it would have been more likeable. The fact that it was a Pixar film showed that they are laxing their standards and punching out movies quickly, rather than worrying about quality.
    (bolding in the quote is mine)

So Cars 2 wasn't a bad movie, it was a bad Pixar movie? If it was a Dreamworks movie it would have been okay or even good? And the reason it wasn't nominated for an Oscar is because the Academy holds Pixar's movies to a higher standard instead of judging each film on its own merits?

• Closed Account

(bolding in the quote is mine)
    It was a bad Pixar movie? If it was a Dreamworks movie it would have been okay or even good? And the reason it wasn't nominated for an Oscar is because the Academy holds Pixar's movies to a higher standard instead of judging each film on its own merits?
    It would have been an okay movie if it had been another studio other than Pixar that made it for sure. And yes, Pixar is held to higher standards by everyone, because people still consider it Disney (even though it is it's own company).

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Okay. So if you saw the movie and somehow didn't know it was Pixar you would have said, "That's kinda cute." Because it was Pixar you said, "This is straight out crap." Gotcha.

Also, so we are on the same page, I also don't think Planes belongs in DCA, nor do more Cars-themed attractions. They have no need to expand Cars Land.

• Closed Account

Okay. So if you saw the movie and somehow didn't know it was Pixar you would have said, "That's kinda cute." Because it was Pixar you said, "This is straight out crap." Gotcha.
    Precisely. Had it not been a sequel to Cars, had different characters in it, and been a standalone movie, even a standalone Pixar Movie, it probably would have been good rather than okay. The problem was Cars was so strong, fantastic, awesome soundtrack, and then they followed it up with that, it was like a total disappointment.

• Heavy Breather

I saw the newest trailer for Planes during MU. I had to keep repeating to myself "It's not PIXAR".

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• -

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I had to keep repeating to myself "It's not PIXAR".
    Why?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

I think everyone expected any type of spin off of Cars to be a Pixar spin off. Planes, like many have mentioned is not a Pixar spin off. Which is one of the reasons why I think them planning on a trilogy so soon is not necessarily the best idea. If they don't get the marketing geniuses to push the toys as part of the Cars series, I don't think it will survive. Just my two cents worth.

• I'm from Canada eh!

The fact of the matter is, I have not met anyone, of any age, who likes Cars 2. We saw the movie in a screening with 100 families with kids, mostly boys, ages 3-9. Within the first half hour, the kids were disappointed by the movie. There were more than a dozen families who walked out of the theater. To me, that shows that Cars 2 is junk. I have also come across people who have purchased the DVD for their kids only to turn around and try to sell it on E-bay because their child disliked it so much. It's really a matter of opinion.
    I like it quite a bit actually, as do my children. I think you could be exaggerating a bit though. Unless you talked to everyone in the theatre there is no way that you could possibly understand how everyone thought about the movie.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I like it quite a bit actually, as do my children. I think you could be exaggerating a bit though. Unless you talked to everyone in the theatre there is no way that you could possibly understand how everyone thought about the movie.
    Actually we did, we had an open round robin type of discussion, it was a non profit screening for a special event. It was a pulling families together event where you encourage kids and their families to talk about the movie, ask opinions, and relate the movie to life, parenting, kids, school, etc. They use Disney Pixar films a lot at the events. For Cars 2, the surveys were 3 out of 64 boys ages 3-9 year old boys thought that the movie was just okay, and liked Cars better. 7 out of 26 girls ages 3-10 thought that the movie was just okay. Only two of the parents enjoyed the movie. Of the 18 kids who were over aged 10, only 2 liked the movie enough to rank it as a 2 out of 5. To me, that speaks volumes in the case of Cars 2, that it fell short of everyone's expectations. It is one of only two movies that I have ever seen families at this event walk out of, the other was Oz, though the kids were older. I have been to these events since The Little Mermaid was originally released, so I have seen a lot of Disney and Pixar films come and go and what kids think of them.

The kids speak first, before the parents at these events, so that they are not influenced by the parents opinions of the movie. The kids are each given a survey that can be handed in once completed for some type of souvenir from the franchise, in this case Lightning Mcqueen toy cars. Among the kids, the comments were that the "cars were mean", "cars were scary", or that they didn't get different things that happened. There were a lot of things in Cars 2 that had to be explained, and when you have to start explaining a Disney or Pixar movie, to me that is a problem. I have worked with kids since age 11, I am 32 now, I no longer work with kids, but I see large groups of kids on a regular basis for various non profit events. When a large group of kids, my own nieces and nephews, my friends kids, and other people's kids tell me they don't like something, that speaks volumes to me.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Actually we did, we had an open round robin type of discussion, it was a non profit screening for a special event. It was a pulling families together event where you encourage kids and their families to talk about the movie, ask opinions, and relate the movie to life, parenting, kids, school, etc. They use Disney Pixar films a lot at the events. For Cars 2, the surveys were 3 out of 64 boys ages 3-9 year old boys thought that the movie was just okay, and liked Cars better. 7 out of 26 girls ages 3-10 thought that the movie was just okay. Only two of the parents enjoyed the movie. Of the 18 kids who were over aged 10, only 2 liked the movie enough to rank it as a 2 out of 5. To me, that speaks volumes in the case of Cars 2, that it fell short of everyone's expectations. It is one of only two movies that I have ever seen families at this event walk out of, the other was Oz, though the kids were older. I have been to these events since The Little Mermaid was originally released, so I have seen a lot of Disney and Pixar films come and go and what kids think of them.

The kids speak first, before the parents at these events, so that they are not influenced by the parents opinions of the movie. The kids are each given a survey that can be handed in once completed for some type of souvenir from the franchise, in this case Lightning Mcqueen toy cars. Among the kids, the comments were that the "cars were mean", "cars were scary", or that they didn't get different things that happened. There were a lot of things in Cars 2 that had to be explained, and when you have to start explaining a Disney or Pixar movie, to me that is a problem. I have worked with kids since age 11, I am 32 now, I no longer work with kids, but I see large groups of kids on a regular basis for various non profit events. When a large group of kids, my own nieces and nephews, my friends kids, and other people's kids tell me they don't like something, that speaks volumes to me.
    BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok, clearly MY bad, but I still liked it. I would love to see the reviews from other movies though.

As you were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast