Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• -

Re: Disney Pixar, Planes: Soaring Over Cars Land & the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Actually we did, we had an open round robin type of discussion, it was a non profit screening for a special event. It was a pulling families together event where you encourage kids and their families to talk about the movie, ask opinions, and relate the movie to life, parenting, kids, school, etc. They use Disney Pixar films a lot at the events. For Cars 2, the surveys were 3 out of 64 boys ages 3-9 year old boys thought that the movie was just okay, and liked Cars better. 7 out of 26 girls ages 3-10 thought that the movie was just okay. Only two of the parents enjoyed the movie. Of the 18 kids who were over aged 10, only 2 liked the movie enough to rank it as a 2 out of 5. To me, that speaks volumes in the case of Cars 2, that it fell short of everyone's expectations. It is one of only two movies that I have ever seen families at this event walk out of, the other was Oz, though the kids were older. I have been to these events since The Little Mermaid was originally released, so I have seen a lot of Disney and Pixar films come and go and what kids think of them.

The kids speak first, before the parents at these events, so that they are not influenced by the parents opinions of the movie. The kids are each given a survey that can be handed in once completed for some type of souvenir from the franchise, in this case Lightning Mcqueen toy cars. Among the kids, the comments were that the "cars were mean", "cars were scary", or that they didn't get different things that happened. There were a lot of things in Cars 2 that had to be explained, and when you have to start explaining a Disney or Pixar movie, to me that is a problem. I have worked with kids since age 11, I am 32 now, I no longer work with kids, but I see large groups of kids on a regular basis for various non profit events. When a large group of kids, my own nieces and nephews, my friends kids, and other people's kids tell me they don't like something, that speaks volumes to me.
    This shows how you came to your conclusion that people didn't like the second cars movie. I don't see how this goes to your conclusion that if it was made by another studio, the reaction would be different
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Evil is Sexy

But... but... a little safron would MAKE this!!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This shows how you came to your conclusion that people didn't like the second cars movie. I don't see how this goes to your conclusion that if it was made by another studio, the reaction would be different
    Because if it had been a different studio it wouldn't have been a Cars sequel, and the kids likely wouldn't have had expectations of it either.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Because if it had been a different studio it wouldn't have been a Cars sequel, and the kids likely wouldn't have had expectations of it either.
    Ok, so your were voicing your opinion. Got it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I saw the newest trailer for Planes during MU. I had to keep repeating to myself "It's not PIXAR".
    I saw the trailor too, and it is quite lively. I agree that it is PIXAR quality, maybe even better.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• A Happy Haunt

I can see goofy's sky school getting a Planes treatment. Easy.

• The doctor is in

Planes isn't even a Pixar movie. I saw a trailer before Monsters University and it looks pretty terrible. No thank you.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• I do believe in fairies!

The trailer made me laugh (in a good way). I think it will have some of the Cars humor in it so I will definitely want to see it...on Netflix. It's not worth shelling out $17 at the theater. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to put something in Condor Flats, but I have NO idea where they could cram it. Like an earlier poster said it's land-locked. Goofy's Fly School? All they could do there is paint the track a different color and change out the billboards. Cars Land is almost 100% perfect now. Only thing wrong with it is Luigi's Tires ride. They need to swap that thing out with something better...like now. I don't know why they put that thing in in the first place, they tried the exact same ride in the 60's. It bombed out then and it's bombing out now.

Sorry, got off track...so Planes could be cute, just not worth the big bucks to see it in the theater. Cars 2 was lame, but my grandson wanted all the cars from it. The movie didn't keep his attention for long. He's 8 now and still watches Cars.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

• Queen Elsa

I've seen both Cars and Cars 2 and I think Cars was better then 2. But also I didn't really care for Cars either but it was more better then 2 was.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
    The trailer made me laugh (in a good way). I think it will have some of the Cars humor in it so I will definitely want to see it...on Netflix. It's not worth shelling out $17 at the theater. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to put something in Condor Flats, but I have NO idea where they could cram it. Like an earlier poster said it's land-locked. Goofy's Fly School? All they could do there is paint the track a different color and change out the billboards. Cars Land is almost 100% perfect now. Only thing wrong with it is Luigi's Tires ride. They need to swap that thing out with something better...like now. I don't know why they put that thing in in the first place, they tried the exact same ride in the 60's. It bombed out then and it's bombing out now.

Sorry, got off track...so Planes could be cute, just not worth the big bucks to see it in the theater. Cars 2 was lame, but my grandson wanted all the cars from it. The movie didn't keep his attention for long. He's 8 now and still watches Cars.
    It just might take us to new heights of Cars type humor! As expensive as movies are becoming, Netflix bargains just might be the way to go.

• Minion

Why is changing the theme to Goofy's Sky School even an option? The only way the ride is related to flight is because Disney themed it that way. That coaster is not inherently about aviation, and I suspect that it's being suggested as a Planes tie-in over any other attraction because the relation between the ride and the theme is weak. Making it about Planes instead of about Goofy is just a different shade of lipstick on a pig. Anyway...

Planes doesn't hold my attention and I'd be very surprised if it gets positive ratings, a sequel, or an attraction at Disneyland beyond some kind of party or feature in a parade. There's probably a reason Pixar let go of the concept. Say what you will about Cars 2, but Pixar's track record for developed stories and box office smashes is still very, very high; DisneyToons or whatever? Not so much.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Why is changing the theme to Goofy's Sky School even an option? The only way the ride is related to flight is because Disney themed it that way. That coaster is not inherently about aviation, and I suspect that it's being suggested as a Planes tie-in over any other attraction because the relation between the ride and the theme is weak. Making it about Planes instead of about Goofy is just a different shade of lipstick on a pig. Anyway...

Planes doesn't hold my attention and I'd be very surprised if it gets positive ratings, a sequel, or an attraction at Disneyland beyond some kind of party or feature in a parade. There's probably a reason Pixar let go of the concept. Say what you will about Cars 2, but Pixar's track record for developed stories and box office smashes is still very, very high; DisneyToons or whatever? Not so much.
    If any of the Goofy's Sky School wingless vehicles were to break off they would come flying down to the ground.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.

• Master of Disaster

so forgive me for being a little bit Naive to the whole planes thing... but is it based in the same universe as cars? If so then it would totally be cool to have some sort of ride ABOVE carsland shaped like the planes from the movie.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Yes, same universe but Pixar won't be doing it. For an idea what it will likely be like, look at the Mater's Tall Tales short "Air Mater" on the Cars2 DVD.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    so forgive me for being a little bit Naive to the whole planes thing... but is it based in the same universe as cars? If so then it would totally be cool to have some sort of ride ABOVE carsland shaped like the planes from the movie.
    Yes, and quite intentionally. This makes it all the more tlikely that Disney is is tossing around ideas for an attration featuring planes that may well overlap with Cars to one degree or another. This could take place in the form of a planes ride located in Cars Land, or a Planes "Soaring Over" ride in Condor Flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Yes, same universe but Pixar won't be doing it. For an idea what it will likely be like, look at the Mater's Tall Tales short "Air Mater" on the Cars2 DVD.
    Cars 2 was a mediocre movie because Disney got preachy with environmental issues. Technically speaking, Pixar movies haven't be "Pixar" since it merged with Disney. But, there have been successful animated feature films under both Disney and Pixar since then. I don't think disney will try to get preachy again, and I think it might be attempting to strengthen it's Disney moniker again in the film industry. I am quite excited!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123