Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: no no more spooking from HM cms

Before I stopped riding ToT - the bellhops really made the ride special. There was only one time when we had a bellhop who didn't seem into it - and even that turned out to be part of his acting, because he suddenly turned around and said something brilliant toward the end of his spiel.

For HM, it's a shame if they have to tone it down, but I definitely agree that they have less leeway than the ToT due to the younger ages of some of the guests. Some kids are already apprehensive about going on the ride, and they probably don't want those kids to be in hysterics before they even get in the Doombuggy.

I have actually never had a CM scare me at the Mansion, but I've run across some absolutely brilliant in-character ones. My favorite - last year on my birthday, as we were walking into the Mansion, the girl at the gate totally deadpanned "happy birthday. And deathday." LOL.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Master Gracey's Music Man

My favorite CM on ToT was a guy named Ian. He kind of looked like Neil Patrick Harris and always stayed in character. Haven't seen him in some time but glad I saw him when I did.
    Love CM's like that that have fun with the guests while doing their jobs :-)
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Will have to wait and see if this pans out - if told specifically, no more minor startle scares at Mansion (which I've seen performed brilliantly a few times) but they can still 'perform', then it could be ok. If the whole thing gets tossed overboard and they're expected to greet like they're working Small World (actively friendly and no 'acting' at all, ever) that would be very disappointing.

• Minion

They should hire desultory goth teenagers for the HM, with a constant sneer to induce a creepy feeling. That would be more effective than artificial "scares" like jumping out unexpectedly... that's carnival stuff.

• Not here to help

Tower Of Terror in Japan houses CMs that don´t act at all... perhaps just a bit too happy and polite. I hate that... it really ruins it if you know how it once was ment to be.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Foolish Mortal

On Wednesday night we went and visited the HM and the CM was amazing. I didn't see his name tag, but he was a kind of tall asian kid whom really got into character. He was by far the best one I've come across yet, he really enhanced our experience.

• I do believe in fairies!

Quote Originally Posted by bob weaver View Post
    they should hire desultory goth teenagers for the hm, with a constant sneer to induce a creepy feeling. That would be more effective than artificial "scares" like jumping out unexpectedly... That's carnival stuff.
    LOL That would be perfect!

It's a shame they can't wear those creepy red eye contacts...
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

I actually prefer that the HM CMs don't do too much acting; they're so horrid at it that it becomes laughable. When did it become the standard to recite the "For the best view of the portraits" garbage in a British accent? I laugh every time.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I have to speak out on behalf of people like myself who have PTSD. Having a stranger jump out at me from behind to "spook" me can actually generate a panic attack. So I am all in favor of appropriate CM acting, but the sudden "spook" just to startle -- not okay. Creepy and gloomy are great, but actually making me jump and scream, not great at all.

I rode ToT once and, if I return, will just do the queue and the spiel and then "chicken out" before the drop. My imagination loves the theming but sadly, at my age, my stomach makes the decisions.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

I think some people in this thread are mistaking acting or being in character with doing jump scares. Nothing in the Haunted Mansion is "shocking" with the minor exception of the popping heads in the graveyard. The mansion is supposed to be creepy, foreboding, eerie--not scary or surprising. That completely misses the point of the attraction.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm not entirely sure if I'm the only one who has encountered this guy, but there is a butler I have encountered many a time who is absolutely TERRIFYING. He usually speaks in falsetto and gives a childish giggle after speaking in ADDITION to funny faces. One summer night, my brother, aunt and I were disembarking from our doom buggies, practically the only ones on the ride. As if from nowhere, this butler slammed his hand on something (I have NO idea what) and whispered "See you soon! Tee-hee-hee!" Absolutely terrifying and surprising, yet all too magical at the same time.

I'm wondering if all animated cast members are being toned down. I encountered "Tiki Maynard" on my last trip to the Tiki Room. Usually he does this big dance during "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing," says A LOT of stuff in the safety spiel, and so on so forth. Sadly, he only did half the usual spiel and did not dance for us. There was something that seemed a bit sad about him...kind of sad really.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

When we went a few weeks ago, we had a pretty-creepy CM who was managing the line and would just stare into space in between putting people in the elevator room. She was definitely creepy.

My favorite HM memory is actually at WDW. I was on the ride with a friend who had never been to any Disney park, let alone had never been on HM, and mentioned this as she was climbing into the doom buggy with me. She kept asking me if it was scary and I was trying to explain to her it wasn't. As our lap bar lowered, all of a sudden a male CM jumped onto the back of our doom buggy (so his face was hanging over the top) and yelled "this trip may be your last!" We screamed so loudly our other friends who were just exiting the elevator heard us. It was awesome.

• Future Imagineer

Was there a few hours ago, and they acted creepy on HM which was fun

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    That would be sad, but I can see the issue. Sometimes the CMs would jump out as the Doom Buggy starts up the incline, I may be startled but I always laugh... a friend I go with often, seems to not enjoy it. I'd be sad to see HM toned down to accommodate those who do not enjoy the fearful.... when no one talks of toning down the attractions that cause whip lash ;-)
    It always saddens me to be reminded of toned down attractions because they were "too rough". I'll never get to experience what Indiana Jones was like before they dropped the intensity 20%.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I bet some CMs took it too far.
    This is definitely the case at WDW. My pet theory is that they assign any CM's with personality problems to the HM, hoping that the creep factor will keep people from noticing how hostile and unhelpful they are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast