Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Debat Thread: The Fate of the Future- Original Rides vs Franchise Ride

Not LE stuff, standard release stuff. Candlabras based on those in the stretching rooms, a Madam Leota crystal ball snowglobe, a bat stanchion bottle stopper, a HM themed hourglass... all standard releases, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. They just couldn't keep them in stock because of the demand for them. I understand that the demand has lessened and items that were released three months ago can sometimes be found in stock now, but they are still hit and miss on having any of the new HM merch on the shelves in the parks.

If you want to talk about merch outside of the parks, that is a different story.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Debat Thread: The Fate of the Future- Original Rides vs Franchise Ride

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Anyone who spends at least half an hour a week looking at the boards understands Disney's peculiar attitude towards the franchise rides. But with that same logic how would you explain the Princess Fantasy Faire project? Not only did we all but got blindsided by this project as it was green-lit even before Al broke the news about it but these aren't major moneymaking films here. In fact you could say that PFF itself is an original idea designed to house various princess franchises but is not dedicated to an individual brand.
    When it comes to using Disney's domestic parks to promote merch-driven franchises, Disney Consumer Products is the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Disney Princesses is their barrel of money-making monkeys.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, let's look at two identical rides, one based off of a movie and one completely original. The Indiana Jones Adventure at DL and DINOSAUR at AK are the same exact ride (same track, same exact ride vehicle). I've been on both many times, and for me personally I like DINOSAUR slightly more (it's kind of scary / startling in a few places, especially the end), but both are awesome, and it doesn't matter to me if Indy is based on a movie or if it would have been an original ride. The big difference is that DINOSAUR has to spend some time setting up the ride while you are in line waiting, where as Indy does not (Indy has the movie but you rarely have time to watch much of it any more). With Indy, virtually every single person knows who Indiana Jones is, so all Disney has to explain is that if you look into the eyes of the idol something very bad will happen. DINOSAUR is a completely original story, so in that queue they don't let you move on until you've seen the pre-show that explains that you're going back in time to the triassic period ... oops, actually you're going back to the moment before the meteor hit to try and grab a dinosaur and bring him back to the present.

So then, the question is does knowing the story ahead of time enhance the ride at all? To me as an avid Disney fan, I enjoy learning the back story on a ride so I was very excited the first time I rode DINOSAUR. However, I was VERY surprised when I went on it with a group of people who were just "your average tourist" who eventually started complaining that they had to watch a movie before every ride they went on. They just wanted to go on the ride and could care less what the story was supposed to be. So for them, a ride like Indy would actually be more appealing because there isn't an elaborate back story that needs to be set up before they can ride.

So what it comes down to is: do more people want to learn about an elaborate back story before they go on a ride or not? Based on guest feedback, that is the way Disney is going to go because that is the way that is going to make them more money and keep people at Disney and away from other places.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So what it comes down to is: do more people want to learn about an elaborate back story before they go on a ride or not? Based on guest feedback, that is the way Disney is going to go because that is the way that is going to make them more money and keep people at Disney and away from other places.
    Look at the other story-driven entertainment styles and you can get a picture of the same problem.

Electronic games specifically run into it in an ugly way. Do you hold the hand of the player and show them everything or do you let them figure it out on their own?

From my friends who've worked game dev, the latter are by and far the majority of players. You can present the most elaborate and beautiful packaging, game world and story based off that world and a huge percentage of folks will not notice it on the way in.

The hope seems to be that you give the impression that you cared. Even if your player/guest never once bothers to look at the background, the theory is that the overall impression your carefully constructed world leaves is one that properly grounds what the players/guests DO experience. Some people will experience the world as you present it (and a good chunk of modern gaming design theory is based on trying to get them to do so). Most, sadly, will blaze through to get to the "good bits".
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123