Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Disneyland Debat Thread: The Fate of the Future- Original Rides vs Franchise Rides

With the long running discussion on original rides and franchise heating up with the Monstropolis rumors, it's time to debate these topics here. Both have their respective advantages and disadvantages we're here to discuss them. And BEGIN!

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Re: Disneyland Debat Thread: The Fate of the Future- Original Rides vs Franchise Ride

I think that what makes a good theme park is the fact that the park can pull you in and tell you and thousands of your best friends a story that you want to hear. At times you want a story that you are familiar with and other times you want something different and new. What makes a good theme park is not only telling stories you are familiar with but the ones that the story changes every time you see it. Disneyland has a perfect mix of the two. We can argue which ones work and don't work but in general each attraction does its job. Where Disney started to go down a wrong path was with DCA. When the park open it had only stories that the general audience have not heard or have heard a million times but not something they were familiar with. With the 2.0 install we got mostly stories that we are familiar with like Toy Story and Cars. You know what makes a great park its the ability to take you to do something that you do not do ever. Like the sign at the tunnels say: Here you leave today and enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• No Disassemble!

Re: Disneyland Debat Thread: The Fate of the Future- Original Rides vs Franchise Ride

There will always be room for original ideas to flourish in the parks but the funding & approval for those attractions will be based on the success of the franchise rides. No recent E-Ticket themed attraction has built without it being attached to a box office hit (transformers, Cars Land, Kong 3-D) because of the gobs of money they bring in daily. Franchise attractions will be a prominent part of both parks in the DLR but that doesn't mean that original attractions won't pop up either from time to time.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• formerly very helpful

We need a good balance.

We need original stories and ideas whether or not they come from a familiar source material. That is what makes RSR, Indy, Splash, and TSMM good and the nemo subs and possibly the door coaster bad. On the door coaster, the attraction must also fit the theme of the area as well.

To me, nothing is original. Pirates, ghosts and mansions, Tom Sawyer all feel as familiar as a FL dark ride. Because themes, characters, plots will always be rehashed and borrowed from, I see the original vs movie to be rather beyond the point of what makes a good ride since everything borrows from some kind of source material, era, or event. The question should be imo how does the ride create something different from familiar origins?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

What was the last three attractions that did not have an existing character, franchise or movie at DLR?

I have a feeling most future DLR attractions will be based on movies or tv shows.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    What was the last three attractions that did not have an existing character, franchise or movie at DLR?

I have a feeling most future DLR attractions will be based on movies or TV shows.
    There were a lot that all opened at the same time with the original DCA and have survived the 2.0 makeover with the exception of four pretty badly executed attractions.

I had not thought about that, what an advantage a franchise attraction has, tapping into the preexisting experience of the known story line and characters to immerse the guest in the attraction.
    Where a attraction without those memories to play on almost has to start from scratch

or travel so fast you don't have time to miss those factors ;-)

It was interesting to me that Ariel did not have anything like the impact, the sense of being in the story, that say, Monsters does... though Ariel is a newer ride.
    So franchise is not always a short cut to immersion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    There were a lot that all opened at the same time with the original DCA and have survived the 2.0 makeover with the exception of four pretty badly executed attractions.
    Yes, had me thinking, originally Pirates and Mansion, Small world, Carousel.... story book?
    the Pier attractions in CA...
    Tower of Terror... more than I had realized at first

Q
    which four? ;-)

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    Q
    which four? ;-)
    Mullholland Madness, Superstar Limo, Orange Stinger, and Golden Dreams. Coincidentally all were replaced by franchised attractions (Goofy's Sky School, Monsters Inc., Silly Symphony Swings, and The Little Mermaid).

•   
    • Minion

I pretty much don't care where the source comes from for an attraction. Looking at my favorite attractions they are from both sides. As long as the content of the attraction transports me to the world the attraction sits in I am a happy person. Plus in my opinion there really isn't original ideas anyways they all come from some sort of story. Why does it matter if it's a movie or a old legend like in the case of POTC before the movie tie in was added. They both help create an immersive environment for visitors to enjoy. You can find exceptional examples of attractions for both sides of the argument. It always comes down to execution though.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    I had not thought about that, what an advantage a franchise attraction has, tapping into the preexisting experience of the known story line and characters to immerse the guest in the attraction.
    Where a attraction without those memories to play on almost has to start from scratch
    And thats not a bad thing.

Instead of "I don't want to go on that, because I dislike Stich, I want to go on it because Alien Encounter was a Magic Kingdom exclusive.

• Minion

Nothing wrong with basing an attraction on a movie; several of the attractions on Disneyland's opening day were based on Disney films. But the attraction must provide an experience above and beyond what you would get by just watching the movie. It can't be just a ride-through synopsis of the film. It has to take it to a different level, involve the guest in some personal way, and provide an experience that is not available by merely watching the movie - and an experience that is not available at any other park.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post

I have a feeling most future DLR attractions will be based on movies or tv shows.
    Soarin' over California, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run in DCA are all non-franchised and they do very very well. With DCA 2.0, the entire Buena Vista Street area and the Red Car are based on Disney's life, not any sort of film or television show, so they count, too.

I think there's always going to be room for a balance. There have been franchised rides since the park opened - we always perhaps forget that even Frontierland had its roots in Disney's westerns from the 50s, the Swiss Family Tree House was based on the film, et al. I'd rather have a franchised ride done well than a poorly executed original attraction. The best thing, IMHO, would be to continue to have a mix of both originals and franchises.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Nothing wrong with basing an attraction on a movie; several of the attractions on Disneyland's opening day were based on Disney films. But the attraction must provide an experience above and beyond what you would get by just watching the movie. It can't be just a ride-through synopsis of the film.
    Yet in 1955 when the original DL was built, audiences were quite happy with ride-through synopses of films because films weren't available to them except in the theater. The ride was a chance to re-live a film you'd enjoyed but not seen for years.

Now, when the kid has seen "Cars" 1,500 times before visiting the park, something more is needed -- a blend of the familiar and the unforgettable!

And I think it's best that the ride be unforgettable -- Tower of Terror works great even without anyone knowing or caring about its media origin.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast