Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does California Adventure have shorter hours than Disneyland?

Now that DCA is much more popular and crowded, why doesn't it close at the same time as Disneyland?

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/75493-why-does-california-adventure-have-shorter-hours-than-disneyland.html

• No Disassemble!

Re: Why does California Adventure have shorter hours than Disneyland?

Probably because the park doesn't have a strong enough attendance post-world of color. Despite the growth in popularity most annual pass holders leave for Disneyland park late afternoon to go watch the fireworks and maybe take in a few rides. Not to say that Cars Land is dead around that time, more like Radiator Springs Racers sucks in the remaining attendance on most nights which is not enough to justify keeping the rest of the park open.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

They cant have th same park hours because of their proximity to each other. It would be a nightmare.

• -

The Disney World parks have different hours, too. This isn't out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    They cant have th same park hours because of their proximity to each other. It would be a nightmare.
    ???
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Unhelpful User

Most likely the size of the parks DCA is only 67 acres as compared to Disneyland's 85 acres it's probably takes disneyland a little longer to get guests out of the park , and one of the reasons Disneyland stays open till midnight is Main Street shops , If DCA's buena vista street was as long as main st they would probably close at 12 as well.

But isn't the entrance price the same? CA holds its own better than ever, Monsters, Turtle talk, Aladdin, TSM and all the fair type attractions, Tower and now RSR.
    I see the point about having both parks empty at the same time, though the Disney side has so many gift shops, do people really flock out en masse? We rarely stay to closing... the few times we trickled out cruising the gift stores with the last-minute-shoppers and then walked to the lot... though, I can imagine the effect on the tram now I think of it

• Under that tree again!

While people wake at different times and arrive at different times, they leave in big waves after shows and at closing. Staggering entertainment and closings keeps the Trams and Busses calmer.

I do think WoC causes a shorter day because it closes the Pier. By 10 pm there isn't much left to do that you likely haven't done in a day at DCA and Carsland still have big waits. Post fireworks in DL there are still 15 attractions to try and many to do again.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• No Disassemble!

They cant have the same park hours because of their proximity to each other. It would be a nightmare.
    That's really just a parking issue in my opinion. Having tram/bus stops on opposite ends of the resort has already proven to be an effective solution and would easily handle two parks closing at the same time. Besides, post-fireworks/WoC crowds leaving the park represent at least 50% of the entire resort volume.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

All of the secondary parks in WDW also close earlier.

Just to be fair, occasionally Hollywood Studios does stay open past Magic Kingdom, though it's rare. The only exceptions when more than 1 park are open later are on separately charged event nights when MK closes at 6 or 7 and Epcot will be open until 9 as well as Hollywood Studios usually being open until between 8-11. Animal Kingdom is almost always first to close.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

My bf and I were wondering this just this past weekend. We still had plans to either ride rides we missed (smaller stuff, but still) or re-ride rides (RSR was pretty open this weekend) and were shocked that everything shut down at 10. We ended up hopping for to Disneyland and doing all of Adventureland, but we thought it was the stupidiest thing we've heard about. There were still quite a few left in DCA,too.

While I understand the concerns for parking/traffic, I still wish they'd figure out a better solution. We were pumped to go on more!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

•   
    • White Water Snacker!

I think that since there's not as much demand for WOC, they don't need to do a 11pm show and therefore can close the park at 10.

If I remember correctly, I think they were keeping DCA open until 11 last year, with a third showing of WOC keeping the crowds late.

Quote Originally Posted by huskydawg View Post
    I think that since there's not as much demand for WOC, they don't need to do a 11pm show and therefore can close the park at 10.

If I remember correctly, I think they were keeping DCA open until 11 last year, with a third showing of WOC keeping the crowds late.
    What's ironic is the second showing of WoC is after the park closes!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan8 View Post
    Now that DCA is much more popular and crowded, why doesn't it close at the same time as Disneyland?

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/75493-why-does-california-adventure-have-shorter-hours-than-disneyland.html
    I know sad OP! Even sadder because last summer it stayed open at least until 11 p.m. and I think most people thought this would be the new normal with so much going on. It seem perfect to me. NOT close as the same time as DL, but that extra hour still goes a long way!

I guess it was decided that even with DCA now a full on theme park with its own crowds, not enough stick around probably after the first WOC show to keep it open another 90 mins. I been to the second showing of WOC, was just there on the Independance Day holiday yesterday and the second show, along with the park, was so dead they let me in the viewing area without a FP. To be fair though both parks were pretty quiet for the holiday in general but the second WOC show doesnt seem that busy even in high seasons. So Im guessing most do the first WOC show and then after that a lot of the park empties out minus Carsland and the Mad T Party in Hollywoodland with the others waiting for the second show but seems to be about 80% or less capacity of the first show. But the rest the park, moderate to light at best.

But whats sad is DCA has become a GREAT after dark park! You got nighttime events like WOC and Mad T Party, lots of nice quiet sit down drinking areas like CCT, Paradise Gardens and Trattoria restaurant and just really pretty lit up areas to hang out in like PP, CL and BVS! Those areas rival MS, NOS and FL at night. And yes, you got the DRINKING!!!!!!!! It sucks because now have your final drink around 9:30. DCA has really created its own nightlife, and most importanly, a more adult nightlife at that. I wish they would take more advantage of it. Keep DL for the little ones, but keep DCA a place for young adults or anyone over 30 without kids who wants different entertainment and a few drinks to go along with it.

Now because of summer hours you only got about 90 mins to enjoy the night side of the park. But in the future it will probably go up to higher hours as the park gets more popular and maybe reach a midnight closing but thats probably a long ways off. And I remind people even though there are 11 Disney theme parks worldwide, DL is the ONLY park that has midnight closing hours, barring some special event. Majority of Disney parks including the MKs generally close between 10-11 p.m. in high season. DL is the only one that operates as long as it does and crazy it use to close at 1 am back in the day!! As for DCA, I can still remember when the place felt like an absolute ghost town by sundown. They are at least happy those days are gone lol.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-05-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BwaySaint View Post
    My bf and I were wondering this just this past weekend. We still had plans to either ride rides we missed (smaller stuff, but still) or re-ride rides (RSR was pretty open this weekend) and were shocked that everything shut down at 10.
    You were honestly "shocked" at this? DCA closes at 10PM seven days per week through late August. The fourth week of August, they close DCA at 9PM and then the day after Labor Day they go to the 8PM closing time. This is available on the Disneyland.com website to anyone with Internet, in addition to various official or unofficial smartphone apps, and an information line staffed by real humans sitting in Anaheim waiting for your call.

But aside from all that, just getting in to DCA you pass by several prominent signs, interact with several Cast Members face to face, and listen to a public address announcement alerting you of the park operating hours.

Your first clue comes from the giant electronic billboards at every parking toll booth in all theme park lots.
    Name:  l.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  36.3 KB

Then the CM on the back of the tram announces the days operating hours as you drive in from the parking structure, or the Toy Story bus driver says the operating hours on your bus ride.

Then you get to the security tents, and at every entrance lane there is a sign with the days operating hours and the attractions closed for refurbishment.
    Name:  IMG_6559.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  87.7 KB

If you don't need to talk to a ticket CM to buy a ticket (where you could theoretically ask about park hours), you go straight to an entry turnstile where they have free Times Guides at every turnstile, and prominently listed on the top of every Times Guide is the days operating hours for each theme park. Assuming you don't just ask the turnstile CM how late the park is open.

Name:  LexmarkAIOScan6-239x600.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  50.7 KB

Then you are finally in the park. After having passed two prominent signs, heard one prominent public address system while a captive audience onboard public transportation, interacted with several Cast Members face to face, and passed up the chance to grab a free Times Guide with todays current operating information. And again, that's assuming you made no effort to check the Disneyland.com website, the various official and unofficial smartphone apps, or called the Disneyland information line at (714) 781-INFO.

There's also an official Twitter feed @DCAToday run by Disney CM's that has a first tweet of the day every morning that mentions the park operating hours for the day.

So, if after all of those signs and announcements and leaflets and apps and tweets and opportunities to ask questions prior to entering the park, you still don't know what time the park closes.... is that really Disney's fault?

Don't mean to pick on you personally, but as a CM we get this all the time by people who don't know what time the park closes. What exactly could Disney do differently to reach out to you to inform you of the operating hours?
    Last edited by Westsider; 07-06-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast