• Disney Trivia Queen

Fantasmic no stunts?

So, anyone know why none of the stunts happened at tonight's Fantasmic? We were at the first showing and they all just stood on the bottom of the ship looking like they had no clue what to do with themselves!

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Fantasmic no stunts?

If there's any question of performer safety, the stage manager calls to cut the stuns. In that case, Hook and Peter usually fight around the top of one of the masts and the three stunt pirates usually are somewhere in the rigging.

Was this on Sunday night? Could it have something to do with the fatality that happened in Vegas the night before during the performance of "Ka"? There may be no connection. It could just be coincidental. Hopefully, there wasn't also an incident at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Was this on Sunday night? Could it have something to do with the fatality that happened in Vegas the night before during the performance of "Ka"? There may be no connection. It could just be coincidental. Hopefully, there wasn't also an incident at Disneyland.
    This may have been done out of respect for the aerialist from Ka. I heard that several shows throughout Vegas and the touring Cirque shows had a similar moment of remembrance in their performances last night.
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

• Disney Trivia Queen

Autopia- they were all.on the bottom of the ship... no one was on top of any of the rigging. 9oldmen- we were wondering the same thing. It was on Sunday night, the first show. No clue if they did the stunts during the second show, but would assume not. All of the rigging was set up on the ship... it just went unused.

was it very windy? that happens at the sirens of TI show if its windy out. they just cancel it for safety reasons

They also have understudies that will fill in that may not have the aerial stunt training. Could have been a "B" cast night.

• Minion

Not sure what "looking like they had no clue what to do with themselves" means exactly, but it's a little sad to know that there isn't exactly a back up show for things like this.

Did that just happen during one show only? Someone let us know if the stunts return.

• Disney Trivia Queen

It wasn't windy that night so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason. Ohmyjustin, they just stood there shaking their fists at Peter Pan (who was about a foot away from them and would have been easy to grab) and rocking back and forth. It looked pretty awkward, but if it was a moment of remembrance or solidarity to the cast of Ka then that is really cool and I don't care if it looked weird! Any word on whether the stunts were back tonight?

I was there with Dinglehopper and can attest that there were absolutely no stunts used in the performance.

I just wrote a friend who is a cast member in the production to find out what might have happened... I will update as soon as I know!
    Last edited by BwaySaint; 07-02-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Clarification - CM is part of show.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglehopper View Post
    It wasn't windy that night so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason. Ohmyjustin, they just stood there shaking their fists at Peter Pan (who was about a foot away from them and would have been easy to grab) and rocking back and forth. It looked pretty awkward, but if it was a moment of remembrance or solidarity to the cast of Ka then that is really cool and I don't care if it looked weird! Any word on whether the stunts were back tonight?
    I've seen this happen on a few occasions - always assumed it was just an issue where for whatever reason they declared the stunts unsafe for the evening. Better days had a larger crowd down on deck (presumably to beef up the kinetics in the scene that were now missing).
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

Alright, my friend answered back and said it was because there was only one boat technician there that night, so they were not able to perform the stunts that evening. It's been a rough week for boat techs apparently...
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney