Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: The demise of the Disney Gallery

I'd never been to the Disney Gallery when it was above PotC but I did enjoy it when it was in the Town Square. I only visited when there was a new exhibit, though, so I'm okay with it downsizing.

I agree with the previous posters who mentioned the Blue Sky Cellar being merged with the Gallery. Give Disneyana a bigger space where it is now, which gives Disneyland the big retail space it loves, and curate a great exhibit in the Cellar. Make the lobby of the theatre nicer, or return it to how it was a few months ago.

I'm sad that the Disney Gallery has been relegated to a pre-show for Lincoln, just to make way for the poor quality, high priced "fine art" that's replaced it in Disneyana.

Even more sadly, when I heard the news about this, I wasn't surprised. Just another in a string of poor decisions made so that more lame merchandise can be sold.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This. Unfortunately, this.

So letís keep the crappy coffee, right? Iíd rather have the Disneyana space go back to the Market House where it belongs so there can be a place to get a decent cup of coffee.
    Starbucks isn'y the ONLY coffee that isn't crappy. Just as having arcade games in the park may provide revenue, they, and Starbucks, AREN'T relevant or necessary to the park experience.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

While I've typically enjoyed them, I've never been particularly fond of the locating of art exhibits or preview centers within places that should be unaware of their fakeness.

• Blew By You

The greatest current work of art at any Disney property is the cash register.

• Disneyland History Lover

It's a bit of a downer to see the back room of the former Gallery covered in uninspiring artwork. When the Gallery opened in the Bank a couple years ago, the designers paid careful attention to the lighting and wall colors in order to bring out the most out of each piece of Gallery art. Now, when you look at the downsized Gallery in the Opera House lobby, you can easily see the difference in presentation.

I think there are several stores on Main Street that are quite repetitive in terms of merchandise offerings. Not to mention, you can get most of the same merch at World of Disney and other Downtown Disney locations. They could have found a new home for Disneyana without impeding upon the Gallery. But it looks like they've chosen to maximize profits rather than heritage, as the end result indicates.

• Tourist

The Disney Gallery was a wonderful place when it first opened above POTC. I naively thought it would always be like that.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    The Disney Gallery was a wonderful place when it first opened above POTC. I naively thought it would always be like that.
    It really was a wonderful place. I miss it.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I am most pissed off about the fact that the last downgrade of the Disney Gallery came at the hands of starbucks moving into Disneyland, which pushed Disneyana to the bank and in turn pushed the Gallery to the lobby of the Theatre. SO LAME. Disneyana belongs on Main Street, the Disney Gallery belongs in a bigger, more prominent venue, and starbucks belongs OUT of the parks!
    Disneyana IS still on Main st. where do you consider the bank????? As for Starbucks, who cares what brand they sell. They're gonna have coffee either way. Makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    And as they move away from gems like this I am more at peace with not renewing our passes...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    The greatest current work of art at any Disney property is the cash register.
    Quote of the year!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The Disney gallery was a hidden gem that was visited every time I went. It was a sad day when they closed it for something .00001% of the guests got to experience.

• When Will It Return?

I'm amazed at how high a priority people place on *always* being able to get a "good" cup of coffee.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

With the welcoming of Starbucks by most and the displacement of the gallery it seems Disneyana is the real bad guy. Scamming people to buy those "collectibles" should be done in Downtown Disney.

• secure all cargo

Personally, Starbucks coming to DL doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe it doesn't fit with the time period, but they sell other name brands in other areas and no one's had problems with it before. I mean, no one cares they're selling Coke in the old west. That said, I admit I didn't really care for having McDonald's fries from that wagon, so maybe there's a bit of a double standard here. I'll have to sit with that some more.

About the Gallery, it is sad that to see another instance of more compromises being made in order to squeeze a profit out of every last nook and cranny. It's like the frog in the kettle, they turn up the heat slowly so no one notices until it's too late. I loved the Gallery in the old apartment above Pirates. The historical significance of the location completely matched the Gallery's purpose.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast