Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The demise of the Disney Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    With the welcoming of Starbucks by most and the displacement of the gallery it seems Disneyana is the real bad guy. Scamming people to buy those "collectibles" should be done in Downtown Disney.
    Disneyana is an incredible store, and for the scores of hardcore Disney fans and collectors, like myself, it's the best place for true collectibles like WDCCs and big figs, among others. Don't know why you've got such animosity towards it. And believe me when I tell you that having the store right in the middle of Main Street was very special for a lot of people. Much more Disney character and charm than having the biggest and most generic corporate coffee company eating up so much space on Walt's small town street.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I'm amazed at how high a priority people place on *always* being able to get a "good" cup of coffee.
    Ditto. Maybe it's because I'm not a coffee drinker (tea is my beverage of choice) but I can make it through a day at DL without a cup of coffee or tea... Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    Personally, Starbucks coming to DL doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe it doesn't fit with the time period, but they sell other name brands in other areas and no one's had problems with it before. I mean, no one cares they're selling Coke in the old west. That said, I admit I didn't really care for having McDonald's fries from that wagon, so maybe there's a bit of a double standard here. I'll have to sit with that some more.

About the Gallery, it is sad that to see another instance of more compromises being made in order to squeeze a profit out of every last nook and cranny. It's like the frog in the kettle, they turn up the heat slowly so no one notices until it's too late. I loved the Gallery in the old apartment above Pirates. The historical significance of the location completely matched the Gallery's purpose.
    If Starbucks just occupied the existing facility, there would be a lot less complaints. But having it expand to take over about a third of the entire block makes it more of a target. Coffee isn't THAT important of a commodity for a theme park (especially DIsneyland).

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    If Starbucks just occupied the existing facility, there would be a lot less complaints. But having it expand to take over about a third of the entire block makes it more of a target. Coffee isn't THAT important of a commodity for a theme park (especially DIsneyland).
    The Market House is just reclaiming space that was taken from it to peddle Disney merchandise.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

The Disney Gallery was a favorite place to visit during the past several years. The artwork and concepts used in the design of favorite park attractions and locations is endlessly fascinating to me, just like the recent Treasures of the Disney Archives at the Reagan Library or the Designing the Disney Theme Parks exhibit at the Hammer Museum over 10 years ago.

As much as I enjoyed viewing the exhibits in the Disney Gallery, I don't think I ever saw more than a half dozen people there at one time. I imagine if the exhibit had always been full of people, more stuff would have sold from the store in the front of the old bank building, and the Disney Gallery wouldn't have been so easily expendable for the park executives.

But apparently people don't pay almost a hundred dollars for admission (or several hundred dollars for an annual pass) to spend their time looking at design artwork.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    But apparently people don't pay almost a hundred dollars for admission (or several hundred dollars for an annual pass) to spend their time looking at design artwork.
    My family and I did - but we are far from the "normal" guest I suppose. We are in that group that Disney no longer thinks is important and not willing to cater to us.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Well, the Disney Gallery could be in DTD, probably in the current transportation area, (which, if I recall correctly, was going to be moved over to the Timon Parking lot entrance.)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    People DO pay to look at design artwork, at least a LOT MORE than pay to get a cup of coffee.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123