Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Halloween Season and Party Dates are out, with more parties

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    I love Halloween. A lot. But, can someone explain to me why DLR is changing the look of their iconic park and starting Halloween celebrations in September? Thinking like this is what makes DLR more a park for locals than a destination park for out of state tourists. I was originally planning my family's trip for mid September but when I found out the Halloween habit of closing HM for a Halloween refit right before LABOR DAY we changed that plan. If I am going to travel across the country to see Disneyland and DCA I want to see those parks, not Halloween versions of those parks! When do they decorate for Christmas... November 1?
    On the flip side, for out-of-state tourists who want to see these themes, they have more time to do so. Not everyone can make it in October, especially if they have their own plans or want to do other things (Universal Studios, Knott's, SeaWorld, etc.) there is time to experience everything.

For what it's worth, the Halloween decor really doesn't affect that much, I think.

Thanks Swampy! I know the Halloween parties are extremely popular and have many people asking for this years date. My annual trip usually coincides with Halloween as well, but this year we are going to brave the July crowds. My wife and I are still contemplating upgrading to AP's during our July trip and then going back for Halloween and Christmas. You just can't beat that October weather at DL.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    For what it's worth, the Halloween decor really doesn't affect that much, I think.
    Ah, but I am a Haunted Mansion fan. The #2 reason why my family wants to go to DLR is to see the "original" Haunted Mansion (#1 is Cars Land for my little boy). HMH may be awesome, but it isn't what I want to see. Going to DLR for my once in a lifetime trip there and not being able to see the HM would defeat a large part of the purpose of the trip for me. May as well go to WDW, even with the queue and HHG changes.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• The doctor is in

September 13th. Wow.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    I saw on Twitter that someone said that it went up from $3 to $5 from last year.

FOUND IT:
    2012 2013
    Advanced Purchase - AP $46 ???
    Advanced Purchase - Public $54 $59
    Day Of $64 $67
    October 30/31 $69 $74

Ah, thanks a bunch...the advanced AP purchase was only $46 last year? I thought it was more but I could have been thinking of the day of price.

• Minion

Ah, but I am a Haunted Mansion fan. The #2 reason why my family wants to go to DLR is to see the "original" Haunted Mansion (#1 is Cars Land for my little boy). HMH may be awesome, but it isn't what I want to see. Going to DLR for my once in a lifetime trip there and not being able to see the HM would defeat a large part of the purpose of the trip for me. May as well go to WDW, even with the queue and HHG changes.
    Don't worry, I would totally feel the same way if I was in your family's situation because I too prefer the original Haunted Mansion.

Attic Haunt, I'm with you on this one... IMO, the NBC overlay way over stays its welcome at Disnelyland. I enjoy it over Halloween (specifically the month of October). But it is around for nearly 1/3 of the year.

I can go on the original HM repeatedly and never be bored. But after the annual visit to NBC-HM, I only look forward to the smell of gingerbread in the main hall on subsequent rides.

Well regarding the Haunted Mansion overlay, it really is just a matter of taste. I like Jack and his crew, so I enjoy the NBC HM very much, but I also will always enjoy the normal HM as well. That being said, for me, I have no problem with the NBC overlay. It's just a matter of what each person prefers and NBC has become pretty popular over the years.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Well regarding the Haunted Mansion overlay, it really is just a matter of taste. I like Jack and his crew, so I enjoy the NBC HM very much, but I also will always enjoy the normal HM as well. That being said, for me, I have no problem with the NBC overlay. It's just a matter of what each person prefers and NBC has become pretty popular over the years.
    They should make a Nightmare Before Christmas ride so those fans can have NBC year round and Haunted Mansion fans can have the original HM year round as well.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Oh, I love NBC, too! This is not an issue of hating NBC in general or even specifically hating the HMH overlay. In fact, I love NBC so much I want it to have its own dark ride instead of taking over the Haunted Mansion for a third of the year.

Maybe this would be a good general example of how I feel... Let's say you are a Shakespeare fan. You finally get a chance to visit London; probably the only visit you will make there in your lifetime. As part of your planning you call the New Globe Theater to reserve tickets so you can finally watch a Shakespeare play. The staff member tells you that all the plays they are performing while you will be in town are by David Mamet instead of the traditional Elizabethan presentations of Shakespeare plays they have done there forever. When you express suprise the staff member says, "Oh, yes! We do the contemporary plays for four months a year because Londoners like there to be a change. We like having something different there. If you want Shakespeare just come when we do that."

It is easy for the Londoner to say "just come when we do that." It would also be within their right to say that they have lots of tourists who come just to see the contemporary plays each year. That doesn't nullify the fact that many (if not most) people who go to the New Globe want SHAKESPEARE!!!

edit: ...and frollofan backs up my wish for an independant NBC ride while I wax poetic over my post! LOL!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Banned User

Halloween Time Returns to the Disneyland Resort September 13 – October 31; Mickey’s Halloween Party Expanding to 13 Nights
    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    If you look at the dates...
    Mickey’s Halloween Party 2013 dates:
    Friday, September 27;
    Tuesday, October 1; Friday, October 4;
    Tuesday, October 8; Friday, October 11;
    Tuesday, October 15; Friday, October 18;
    Monday, October 21; Wednesday, October 23; Friday,
    October 25; Monday, October 28; Wednesday, October 30; and Thursday, October 31

The Wednesday parties later in the month are new. 3 parties a week. The 3rd week which includes the Wednesday the 23rd party is a busy week. The final week with a Wednesday the 30th party is usually not too bad, but the final party on the 31st, Halloween Day, is a busy one(sells out quickly).
    Does not include September 13th? What's up with this?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Does not include September 13th? What's up with this?
    They are doing the Unleash the Villains special event that day, IIRC.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    They should make a Nightmare Before Christmas ride so those fans can have NBC year round and Haunted Mansion fans can have the original HM year round as well.
    edit: ...and frollofan backs up my wish for an independant NBC ride while I wax poetic over my post! LOL!
    Yup, I would concur with that idea to.

And no, this isn't about loving or hating NBC-HM or regular HM. Maybe it's about the specific holiday decorations showing up well over a month of the actual holiday? However, this goes on all across the board. Even the local walmart will put out their christmas decorations well into November. And don't forget the local radio station that starts their Christmas music well before December 1st. It's just how it is.

• Foolish Mortal

The rad thing about Sept. 13th is that I will get a chance to experience the Halloween decor before my AP expires on Sept. 25th. (wifey and I are on the fence about renewing)

•   
    • Minion

IMHO I love the two months of Halloween - but that is my favorite holiday, and I know that doesn't work for everyone

I think the thing with the extended holiday overlays and decorations is that it gives a lot more people the opportunity to experience the holidays at Disneyland. It's not geared toward those of us who go to the park a lot; it's to give visitors a larger travel/visit window. It can be super expensive to travel right before Christmas, for instance. If you can show up in mid-November when it's off-peak, it's nice that you can still see the winter holiday displays.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast