Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Iger Agrees to Hold Off on His Retirement Until 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Don't bother hoping Bob's replacement will be any better about using IP's almost exclusively then he is. Pretty much everyone has been trained that this is the way things should be done and the easiest excuse to make for DCA 1.0 sucking is just to blame a lack of characters. The only way things will change is if an implosion happens like lazyboy suggests. But I just don't see that happening. While a lot of us might be unhappy with this strategy it has been effective. The real risks are long term as people begin to loose interest in the same franchises being shoved in their face over and over.
    It's not really my prediction, but Steven Spielberg's. I just expect it to hit Disney's parks as well as it is based in the same mindset as the films.

• Banned User

I like Iger. Bringing Pixar and Star Wars into the fold is a pleasant surprise. This will be his legacy. (Marvel, not so much, but good anyways.)

• Sharkslayer

Bob Iger is the best Disney CEO, He makes The Walt Disney Company a very successful company.

He bought Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. to make Disney a Very Successful company.

Bob Iger, this is for you. Never Give Up and Never Quit.

I hope the replacement will not be another like Michael Eisner.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Wow, aren't we being a bit harsh toward Iger? Regardless of where you stand as far as the movie vs original attraction, you have to admit he has brought a lot of the quality back to the parks that was lost under Eisner.
    I think the competitive Michael Eisner was CEO for about 23 years, which includes his interesting first ten years with Frank Wells (when doubling park admission prices over one two-year period and sticking the Disney classics on video launched profits, making them look like geniuses.) His later work with Paul Pressler has been criticized for being too transparent in putting profits first, second and third. But Eisner went all out in creating Disneyland Paris' Magic Kingdom park, briefly tried to serve theme park guests healthier food (though they weren't biting), loved architecture and created some amazing hotel resorts and cruise ships, and presided over the rebirth of Disney animation (or presided over its leaders).

He also was both CEO AND Chairman of Disney's Board of Directors that retained him and which he eventually filled with members who would compensate him far, far more than American corporate officers received in the past. Was this good for America?

Iger is also both CEO and Chairman of Disney's Board and receives a gigantic compensation package, even in years when Disney's stock has been flat. I doubt he wants Staggs to replace him soon. Apart from the fantastic improvements at DCA, he has not been bold at America's theme parks, especially in Orlando, where the guy who should replace him when he retires--Universal's former Disney exec. Steve Burke--has been dramatically outbuilding him.

I know some of us on Michchat seem to take this too seriously, but as a former CM I appreciate that the CEO can affect the lives of thousands of employees, and for those of us who grew up marveling at the then always innovative Disney parks, the desire to have our kids have experiences as incredible as we had makes the future of Disney parks like the future of Christmas, Halloween, and birthdays.

I guess I should praise the vast revenues generated under both Michael Eisner and Bob Iger since more creative CEOs could have put art before profits, which might not have paid the checks of tens of thousands of Disney workers. (I had to wash my hands after writing that sentence.) And maybe Disney is like baseball--the golden age was whatever was being played when you were 13. We just had the best vacation of our lives on the Disney Wonder in Alaska, and the Hulk smashing Loki filled me with joy last summer, so Iger's got that goin' for him. When I was younger I wanted to become head of Disney, so there is probably some jealousy motivating some of my criticisms of any Disney leaders.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.

• former CM

not sure why such harsh hate, believe what you want the company is doing much better than it has in a while. I sure dont mind my stock going up the way it has with his leadership. As for the park, even if people dont agree with the direction of attractions that he has seen approved and built during his time, they do seem to be of interest for tourist. Not only that at least he is not letting the parks stay stagnant for years like past regimen

As great as Paris was, its failure was what started the famous Eisner era of cost cutting. Yes Eisner did some...interesting things, a lot of it was just plain awful. So I suppose if you value slightly unique and different things, I could see someone preferring Eisner.

But in my eyes, Iger did very little wrong or bad even if he wasn't very bold or as out there as Eisner.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeySmurfette24 View Post
    Bob Iger is the best Disney CEO, He makes The Walt Disney Company a very successful company.

He bought Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. to make Disney a Very Successful company.

Bob Iger, this is for you. Never Give Up and Never Quit.

I hope the replacement will not be another like Michael Eisner.
    You do realize that Bob Iger was personally selected and groomed to be CEO by Michael Eisner, right? That Tom Staggs headed up Strategic Planning, the hated group of Eisner loyalists that dominated all decisions made near the end of Eisner's tenure and was promoted to CFO when that group was disbanded following shareholder pressure? That Jay Rasulo also rose up through Strategic Planning before being put in charge of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts? That whomever succeeded Michael Eisner pretty much had to buy Pixar due to the Company's dependence on them and the inability to rebuild the creative team that was decimated? That Marvel was also bought to acquire an existing team because Disney could not find ways to appeal to young boys? That Lucas had long considered Disney his first choice for when the time came sell Lucasfilm?

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wicked82 View Post
    That's great news, considering much is still left to be done at both DLR and WDW.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/bu...ive.html?_r=1&
    Awesome!!! More Price hikes for us! More Bonuses for him! Yeah!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Awesome!!! More Price hikes for us! More Bonuses for him! Yeah!!!!
    Unfortunately, this is completely true.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Unfortunately, this is completely true.

Unfortunately, this is completely not true.

Unless you want to argue that Iger has contributed to the immense popularity of the parks that allows them to charge such prices.

It is the market, not the CEO's comp (the market determines that too) that determines ticket prices.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post

Unless you want to argue that Iger has contributed to the immense popularity of the parks that allows them to charge such prices.

It is the market, not the CEO's comp (the market determines that too) that determines ticket prices.
    Increased ticket prices generally equals increased corporate profit.

Increased corporate profit generally equals increased CEO salary and bonus.

Every CEO on the planet is keenly aware of this, especially Iger and his minions.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Increased ticket prices generally equals increased corporate profit.

Increased corporate profit generally equals increased CEO salary and bonus.

Every CEO on the planet is keenly aware of this, especially Iger and his minions.
    Following Mortgageman's posts, he seems to be quite happy with the recent price hikes we have seen. And most definitely on the side of the Disney Corp.

But yes, More money is more money. And the benefits of that stay on top.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    You do realize that Bob Iger was personally selected and groomed to be CEO by Michael Eisner, right? That Tom Staggs headed up Strategic Planning, the hated group of Eisner loyalists that dominated all decisions made near the end of Eisner's tenure and was promoted to CFO when that group was disbanded following shareholder pressure? That Jay Rasulo also rose up through Strategic Planning before being put in charge of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts? That whomever succeeded Michael Eisner pretty much had to buy Pixar due to the Company's dependence on them and the inability to rebuild the creative team that was decimated? That Marvel was also bought to acquire an existing team because Disney could not find ways to appeal to young boys? That Lucas had long considered Disney his first choice for when the time came sell Lucasfilm?

Excellent points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12