Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iger Agrees to Hold Off on His Retirement Until 2016!

That's great news, considering much is still left to be done at both DLR and WDW.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/bu...ive.html?_r=1&
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

• Minion

Re: Iger Agrees to Hold Off on His Retirement Until 2016!

Not really, I'm sure there is someone else out there who can be a better Disney CEO than he is.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

How selfless of him, to delay his well-deserved retirement to provide service to the Disney empire...

Mr. Iger’s compensation will not change. In 2012 he received $37.1 million, according to figures compiled for The New York Times by Equilar, an executive compensation data firm.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 07-02-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: text repair

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Not really, I'm sure there is someone else out there who can be a better Disney CEO than he is.
    There's others who can be worse...granted we won't know now if this is a good thing until we look back years from now.

...As I see it

• Heavy Breather

I want him out. But he did give Marvel a good home and hopefully Star Wars will be in good hands (better than Lucas')

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Minion

I'd like to see him gone sooner as well. Oh well.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Maybe he'll be around for the inevitable implosion and get the blame he deserves. Maybe this time it could even bring down the strategic planners instead of letting them live on at the helm.

This allows him to be CEO during the very busy year of 2015 which includes Shanghai DL, New Star Wars, New Avengers, DL 60th etc.

I have no problem with him extending a year and going out big.
    The Mur

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    This allows him to be CEO during the very busy year of 2015 which includes Shanghai DL, New Star Wars, New Avengers, DL 60th etc.

I have no problem with him extending a year and going out big.
    This. His particular focus is Shanghai at the moment and wants to solidify Disney's presence in China before stepping down. It will also be his only chance to dedicate a new resort during his tenure.

• former CM

Here's another thread on this featuring fascinating & prescient comments from ME!

Who should replace Iger in 2015?

I couldn't link an LA Times article published this morning on this topic that's blocked from non-subscribers.

This Micechat thread linked above does contain a link to a Variety article (published today?) which notes that Universal's ambitious builder of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Steve Burke, has his contract set to expire soon. I think he'd be a better choice to replace Bob Iger than Staggs or Rasulo.

And I don't think that Iger (Chairman of the Board that retains him, as Michael Eisner was) is eager to give up a 30-40 million dollar a year job.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-03-2013 at 05:03 AM.

• Artistic integrity

That's one more year we have to worry, him approving ride ideas that don't support their environments - but support the movie it comes from!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• world class bilge rat

If I were making nearly $40 million a year, I'm pretty sure I'd postpone my retirement too.

In my mind, he is nothing more than a money-grubbing greedmonger, as was his predecessor, and as will be his replacement.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by wicked82 View Post
    That's great news, considering much is still left to be done at both DLR and WDW.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/bu...ive.html?_r=1&
    This just means Shanghai Disneyland will not open till 2016 that's all!

But I do want Bob Iger out, all he does is turn movies into disneyland rides and people hate it here but I understand it from a marketing standpoint, nothing personal "it's just business" that's Bob Iger's motto!

Wow, aren't we being a bit harsh toward Iger? Regardless of where you stand as far as the movie vs original attraction, you have to admit he has brought a lot of the quality back to the parks that was lost under Eisner.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Senior Minion

Don't bother hoping Bob's replacement will be any better about using IP's almost exclusively then he is. Pretty much everyone has been trained that this is the way things should be done and the easiest excuse to make for DCA 1.0 sucking is just to blame a lack of characters. The only way things will change is if an implosion happens like lazyboy suggests. But I just don't see that happening. While a lot of us might be unhappy with this strategy it has been effective. The real risks are long term as people begin to loose interest in the same franchises being shoved in their face over and over.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast