Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Down Pluto!

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

HOVER CARS!!
    Best April Fools Day joke ever!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I've heard Iron Man in Peoplemover Station, ride track on Peoplemover ("Rocket Rods Done Right"), Iron Man in Innoventions, ride track on Peoplemover ("World of Iron Man Motion"), Iron Man built on Subs footprint, track on Autopia ("Yeah, right") and now this.

I'm skeptical that there's been a final call on it as yet. I don't doubt that it's one of many options in the mix, but I don't expect any sort of announce on this until they have to. There's a fairly healthy amount of new attractions opening in the SoCal market in the near future, showing their hand early would do nothing but hurt.
    Well, as you know, they DID add Ironman to the Innoventions attraction. Albeit, not quite what most thought it would be.

One would hope they could develop Autopia to function as Electric or Solar-power, but then again, I'm most likely spouting stuff that would make businessmen just keel over with laughter.

After the last 5-7 years of spouting how Electric is the future, one would assume that would work.

Then again, my pie-in-the-sky dreaming, would love to see the Autopia sponsored by Tesla.

Removing Autopia will be extremely complicated. There's not really a question in that regard. There are several points being brought up, as is typical when this discussion arises. Most micechatters seem to fall along the standard three opinion options in regards to change of any kind: very much for it, very much against it, and indifferent. Those who are against this particular change tend to bring up three arguments, repeatedly:

1. Monorail - Two separate possible complications arise from the monorail. First, leaving the monorail alone will make demolition of Autopia extremely difficult, likely affecting the bases or supports when you have bulldozers roaming around. Second, changing the monorail would be very, very, very expensive. Someone suggested connecting a small section to skip the spaghetti over the Fantasyland Autopia, and that seems very reasonable except for the cost. I've a heard a number of outrageous figures thrown out over the years typically centered around the "a million dollars per" however many feet of track, from every 1,000 feet to, most ridiculously, per single foot. So, taking that range, connecting that very small portion of monorail to skip the spaghetti is what, 500 feet? A thousand? Let's say a thousand, making the hypothetical cost, taking the figures from rumor, anywhere between a million dollars up to a billion dollars. Either way, itís not cheap (although a million to Disney seems pretty cheap, all things considered). Changing the tracks also brings the headache that is OSHA, and the possibility that newer regulations would possibly affect older sections with that big of a change along the entirety of the track. Also, any construction in this zone would likely mean the monorail is closed throughout, regardless of which of those two options are considered.

2. The Subs - This one is a bit trickier. While the subs always seem to have a decent line, much like Autopia, that line appears to have more to do with load times, ride length, and capacity than it necessarily has to do with popularity. The removal of Autopia doesn't seem to be as much of an issue here as much as having a new ride in its place. The show building for the subs is said to be of very questionable load bearing capacity. The truth of this Iím actually really curious about, if anyone has statistics or an article to support everyone who says this, Iíd love to see it. Load bearing aside, if the subs are also removed with Autopia, it frees up the whole land base which is what the majority of those who want change seem to think is the solution and likely scenario. So the argument then leads to the inevitable: they just pumped millions into refurbishing the subs and getting them up and running again, thereís no way they take them out.

3. Legacy - The final argument is almost always that Autopia means too much to too many people and (heads up on the wording here, itís weird but it works) that itís one of the rides that is one of the few things at Disneyland that little boys are excited about and lining up for on a constant basis (something I take umbrage with, as Disneyland has dozens of boy centric and gender neutral rides that boys are excited about, but I digress). One of the last remaining aspects of Waltís vision of tomorrow, Autopia has stood through revision after revision of Tomorrowland. Itís a really just a tiny, stinky, slow, un-maneuverable go-kart ride, but so many people have fond memories of getting their tiny paper driverís license and driving around in Disneyland that (somewhat shockingly) none of those detractions seem to matter.

All three are very good points. I don't see them winning out over costs: gas, staff, and, most importantly, land. Let's go through each point then :-)
    1. Monorail Ė The expense of changing the monorail is likely not enough to dissuade the removal of Autopia and the Subs (should they consider removing both). If the Subs (and the PeopleMover track, if itís slated to be used for the non-Tron Tron ride {if you trust that rumor}) are not in contention for closure and removal, then the whole thing is a no go anyway, at least in mind. If theyíre investing in the whole zone for a new Tomorrowland (as has been rumored off and on for years, heightened by the acquisitions of Marvel and Lucas), than I fully expect the cost of keeping the monorail closed and rerouted to not be a concern. I donít see the monorail holding its current pattern after construction, so the concern about it being affected doesn't hold as much weight. Disney will deal with OSHA, either the new way (by overprotecting with obnoxious railings) or the old way (by ignoring them as long as they can until they get fined).

2. The Subs Ė As said above, if the Subs aren't on the table, I donít see a removal of Autopia. The load bearing issue is of no consequence. As to the recent refurbishment argument (and the new sequel, which has been brought up a number of times as well), itís my understanding that a lot of that went into the projectors and production cost of the animation. There is no reason why they canít move all of that and turn into a new pseudo-dark ride without all the costs associated with the current operation, kind of like Little Mermaid. Personally, Iíd love to see a multi-story Nemo dark ride take the place of Goofyís Sky School. Regardless, Nemo merchandise will sell in the Disney stores just as much without the ride being there, and if the area is taken over by Marvel or Lucas properties (as is largely rumored) the increased merchandise sales of those products in that Tomorrowland area will more than make up for it from a bottom-line perspective. The investment cost they put into the subs, while significant, is not enough to warrant not taking them out entirely, especially when taken year over year the farther we get away from that refurbishment.

3. Legacy Ė The current Disney company has shown that legacy only matters to them when it affects their bottom line. If they remove the two classic Walt attractions, it wonít matter because the bottom line wonít show it. When they removed the subs before, the bottom line didn't show it. When they changed the subs to Nemo, the bottom line showed that people not only didn't care but that they were happy to have Nemo (I understand, many, many, many people were upset, Iím saying Disneyís bottom line {money} didn't show it). If they replace the whole zone with just two Marvel attractions, the bottom line will show that guests are thrilled because new always brings people in. Cars Land is proof of that.

Side note on that: [New Fantasyland at WDW, to stop this argument before itís brought up, isn't really NEW! Little Mermaid is a clone, Beauty and Beast isn't a ride and Snow White being replaced with Snow White isn't done and even when it is, how much different will the public really perceive it? We all know itís exciting new tech for the coaster, but micechat really is a different world. No big reception for the Rapunzel bathroom? The new Dumbo area didn't pull in the big crowds they thought it would? Iím shocked (sarcasm). Even still, once itís all done, I think the bottom line will still reflect my theory that people donít care that they removed all that they did to change things (at least people donít care from a monetary perspective).]

There is also the possibility of something else: all of this might even be ENTIRELY misunderstood from the rumor perspective. They may only be closing Autopia while they do the rumored construction on the PeopleMover tracks for the non-Tron Tron ride as a Marvel ride and then reopening them once construction is complete. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    One would hope they could develop Autopia to function as Electric or Solar-power, but then again, I'm most likely spouting stuff that would make businessmen just keel over with laughter.

After the last 5-7 years of spouting how Electric is the future, one would assume that would work.

Then again, my pie-in-the-sky dreaming, would love to see the Autopia sponsored by Tesla.
    Chevron was willing to let Imagineering convert the cars to electric when they were sponsors, but Disneyland management didn't want to make the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    They have tried test cars with all electric but the batteries were too large and to hold a charge they would need to constantly be recharged middday so imagine about 100 plugs and all the juice it would take to keep them charged plus they lacked the power to even make it up the hills. Right now Honda is rolling in their own cars for Autopia so no Prius (Disney here loves Honda over Toyota which personally is a shame but I digress) but the engines are a bit better although for a while they couldn't stop as easily as the old chevron cars. sadly they didn't feel like forking over the money for all new cares just an improved engine inside an outdated look.
    I believe that Imagineering has done quite a bit of research on electric vehicles and potential charging systems. I think they could easily convert the cars to electric and have them charge as they drive through the attraction. But, you're right that Disneyland wouldn't fork over the money to get it done.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Chevron was willing to let Imagineering convert the cars to electric when they were sponsors, but Disneyland management didn't want to make the investment.
    Source, please?

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    You mean, Disney is worse than a big oil company?? I can't believe I still give these people my hard earned money every month.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Disagree. They just basically built DCA into a real park, spending millions to undo the mistakes of the beginning. Some Disneyland love needs to be the next priority.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Hardly. I know many longtime Star Wars and Marvel fans who are very worried about what the tonedeaf management of Disney's Corporate Marketing Machine will do to those brands.

Again, hardly. Good change is good. Change driven by bottom-line greed and implemented by revolving-door managers whose vision is as shortsighted as the next quarter's profits, is not good. Disney fans who assume that Disney won't jam Star Wars and Marvel through the same Golden Goose Juicer that has squeezed so many other properties to death do so at their own risk.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The autopia track is quite large and only a small portion of it sits on top of the sub building.
    old track layout schematics show only the original tomorrowland track section sits partially on top of the sub building. The balance of the track was part of the Fantasyland Autopia which was merged with the autopia track during the last big remodel.

If WDI and TDA really wanted to keep autopia and also better utilize the tomorrow land property for expansion they could do it quite easily.

one idea that might work would be to completely demolish innovations, the old skyway tower and the ugly oversized Autopia queue. This would open up a huge chunk of land for expansion. The Autopia track would then remain but it would now become a fantasyland attraction. The new entrance and queue would be relocated to a repurposed piece of land next to the remaining motorboat cruise queue.

There is a huge chunk of green area that sits between the motor cruise lake and parade gate area near IASW mall area. This large chunk of grass along with the old motor cruise queue could be repurposed to create a "green friendly" queue area that has lots of shade and greenery. If there is a need for extended queue then the IASW elevated mall area could be developed for that purposes when needed.

the question would be, how does Autopia fit the fantasyland theme? Well it was not a problem many years ago but if its necessary to have a fantasyland theme then they could always theme this new Autopia to sugar rush from Wreck it Ralph. It would also be a nod to the old candy mountain that was one proposed many years ago.
    Interesting idea's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I think the monorail should be removed from DL altogether. It is way past a Tomorrowland theme, uses a lot of space and distorts any theme of an attraction that could possible be placed in between.
    No, no, no, no, NO!......

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Undoubtedly this means then that the only suitable cars to update the Autopia with are.. HOVER CARS!!

Fair warning, this is only an early concept demonstration video (meaning that it is mostly cgi pretend stuff) but it is something that Volkswagen/China is actively designing, apparently.

Not "Hover Cars"......HOVERTOPIA
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Marvel stinks. I say sell it off
    Apples to Oranges. Marvel is a integral part of Disney's business going forward and a huge revenue stream for them that will continue to pay dividends in the future. It's basically saving Disney's behind right now since their own movies are flopping left and right (John Carter, Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger) and Pixar isn't as hot as they used to be.

The only thing Autopia is contributing to is global warming

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilTwin View Post
    Well, as you know, they DID add Ironman to the Innoventions attraction. Albeit, not quite what most thought it would be.
    The various rumors on this version were that the Iron Man exhibit would be held onto until such time as they shuttered the entire Innoventions building for conversion into: Building left intact and converted into ride station and some scenes, building left intact and turned into scenes with the station located elsewhere, building demolished and some variant on the former two put in place or even building demolished, area converted to new "Marvel Land" that encompasses the footprint of Tommorowland Terrace, Hatmosphere, Tomorrowland Train Station, Sky Bucket station, Innoventions, People Mover, Motorboat Cruise, Autopia, Monorail and Subs (depending on which variant you're chasing down which given rabbit hole).

The last - the total demolition and remaking of the entire corner of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland into a new Marvel based area - is the only one I'm 100% certain someone was jerking my chain. If WWHOP West Coast opens, reality alters, and Disneyland is suddenly left vacant for a year? Maybe. But not until then.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Banned User

Didn't Microsoft sign a 5 year deal with Disney for Innoventions showcase back in like 2011? Does anyone know when most outside companies deals expire? That may be a clue unless I guess Disney buys out their contracts?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Didn't Microsoft sign a 5 year deal with Disney for Innoventions showcase back in like 2011? Does anyone know when most outside companies deals expire? That may be a clue unless I guess Disney buys out their contracts?
    What I can find is backed up by Wikipedia - five year voyage to... no, wait, wrong article. What I can find is apparently sponsorship of the "Dream House", dates of sponsorship 2008-2011. There's mention in a few reviews of ongoing refurbishment with the help of the "partners", but IIRC that never really happened.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    What I can find is backed up by Wikipedia - five year voyage to... no, wait, wrong article. What I can find is apparently sponsorship of the "Dream House", dates of sponsorship 2008-2011. There's mention in a few reviews of ongoing refurbishment with the help of the "partners", but IIRC that never really happened.
    Good so there are no commitments with outside people. If they don't have anything going on I think it's very possible innoventions is finally going bye bye to make way for a thrilling new attraction.

• Minion

Originally Posted by DLFan1995

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Source, please?
    I heard that too, from an Imagineer back when Tomorrowland was being updated in '98. Apparently Cheveron was big on expanding into energy beyond just oil. I think their commercials were very environmental at the time.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast