Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I heard that too, from an Imagineer back when Tomorrowland was being updated in '98. Apparently Cheveron was big on expanding into energy beyond just oil. I think their commercials were very environmental at the time.
    The way things are now you'd probably get some interactive "frack your own fuel" exhibit in the queue and the old diesel cars upgraded with bi-turbo engines. Vroom Vroom!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Monorail Junkie

I hope not, this is one of the rides my son look forward to when we visit.

With the Miceage update today, I'm leaning more towards closure purely for overhead construction on the PM line for the SW Speeder bikes. :-)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    With the Miceage update today, I'm leaning more towards closure purely for overhead construction on the PM line for the SW Speeder bikes. :-)
    That's a 2017 project that hasn't even been approved yet so I'm not sure why they would be closing innoventions and autopia so soon. Also he specifically mentioned Marvel which would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    That's a 2017 project that hasn't even been approved yet so I'm not sure why they would be closing innoventions and autopia so soon. Also he specifically mentioned Marvel which would make sense.
    I misinterpreted the 100 million aesthetic portion. It seemed like the SW bikes were locked in. I realize the confusion. Either way, the spending discussed was 14 through 17, not just 17, so the project would likely get underway well before 2017.

I wouldn't mind seeing them remove the current autopia and fix it up some. I think it would be awesome if they somehow worked in some small scale new technology like having each car run on an electric battery or solar power or something.. you know, cuz that was the point of tomorrowland in the first place. I know Hong Kong Disneyland uses all electric cars that have Jetsons style sound effects when you push the gas pedal down. So there is definitely room for improvement.

I was all for them joining the tomorrowland and fantasyland tracks into one super track, but that was also 13 years ago, and I think this attraction needs some kind of change if it wants to be relevant. I generally skip it now, mostly because the cars are super uncomfortable if you've got any height to yourself. I generally don't find it worth standing in line for, but I don't think they'd close it outright given the "special needs" of that entire area. You know, with the monorail beam, the sub show building.. the remains of the Peoplemover track. Theres just not much you can do in that area without destroying everything and starting over. Which I wouldn't be terribly against persay, I just don't see them doing that. So more than likely, if anything happens at all to Autopia, it's going to probably end up being new vehicles and maybe some re-themeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    They have tried test cars with all electric but the batteries were too large and to hold a charge they would need to constantly be recharged middday so imagine about 100 plugs and all the juice it would take to keep them charged plus they lacked the power to even make it up the hills. Right now Honda is rolling in their own cars for Autopia so no Prius (Disney here loves Honda over Toyota which personally is a shame but I digress) but the engines are a bit better although for a while they couldn't stop as easily as the old chevron cars. sadly they didn't feel like forking over the money for all new cares just an improved engine inside an outdated look.

As for the trackless comment, you REALLY want that? Imagine now people crashing into each other. Doesn't help that the majority of drivers are on their cell phones. Even with keeping the track it's given guests an excuse to not even bother holding onto the steering wheel at times much less focus on the actual point of the attraction.

...As I see it
    we discussed this last time the topic came up. Google should sponsor the ride with their self driving car technology to socialize it to massive numbers of people.

Hoping this is true so a cleaner electric one can be built in Cars Land(a much better fit).

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    They have tried test cars with all electric but the batteries were too large and to hold a charge they would need to constantly be recharged middday so imagine about 100 plugs and all the juice it would take to keep them charged plus they lacked the power to even make it up the hills.
    really? the autopia at hong kong disneyland has been all electric since its debut—i've ridden it. they could just use that same technology.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
    really? the autopia at hong kong disneyland has been all electric since its debut—i've ridden it. they could just use that same technology.
    Technology has also advanced significantly in recent years, and that's discounting simply electrifying the rails and running it off that with limited battery backup in case of track failure.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Why all this talk about replacing the gas powered cars with electric vehicles? That will DESTROY the character of this ride. The smell of gasoline is something real, something exciting, evoking a bit of danger, of speed and fumes, of "getting your hands a little dirty". Napalm might have smelled like victory, but gasoline smells like freedom. A freedom you can taste as you imagine yourself in the only place in all of Disneyland where you can be at peace, alone, while soaking up constant changing scenery.

You sanitize this with electric vehicles and you rip the soul out of this ride. Gritty is good, and safe for the kids. The pollution is negligible, it's nothing. The 5 freeway is right next door for christ sakes.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    Why all this talk about replacing the gas powered cars with electric vehicles? That will DESTROY the character of this ride. The smell of gasoline is something real, something exciting, evoking a bit of danger, of speed and fumes, of "getting your hands a little dirty". Napalm might have smelled like victory, but gasoline smells like freedom. A freedom you can taste as you imagine yourself in the only place in all of Disneyland where you can be at peace, alone, while soaking up constant changing scenery.

You sanitize this with electric vehicles and you rip the soul out of this ride. Gritty is good, and safe for the kids. The pollution is negligible, it's nothing. The 5 freeway is right next door for christ sakes.
    From my view, it's a response to the "tear out the ride due to pollution" side of the rumor.

If the choice is to tear it out or not due at least partially to the pollution and switching to electric cars is the simplest way to save the experience, I'd be all for switching. I don't believe sniffing gasoline alone is reason to save or can the experience
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    From my view, it's a response to the "tear out the ride due to pollution" side of the rumor.

If the choice is to tear it out or not due at least partially to the pollution and switching to electric cars is the simplest way to save the experience, I'd be all for switching. I don't believe sniffing gasoline alone is reason to save or can the experience

It's not just the smell of fuel, it's the sensation of something powerful, and a little dangerous that you're "nominally" in control of. It's more than a whiff of fuel. It's the vibration of the engine and its effect on your seat. It's the highly audible, and often deliciously random, nearly primal sputtering as it breathes. One is acutely aware of such sensations.

I suppose an electric vehicle could incorporate "fake" sensations, but you'd always be aware that they're fake. It's almost impossible to viscerally fake an experience. It's analogous to why CGI doesn't "feel" as real as models in their attempting to "fake" an experience.

If I was forced, if it was electric or nothing, then I'd choose electric. But I'd wallow in my disappointment.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 07-10-2013 at 01:22 PM.

• Senior Minion

Bingo!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

It's not just the smell of the gasoline, it's the sensation of something powerful, and a little dangerous that you're "nominally" in control of. It's more than a whiff of fuel. It's the vibration of the engine and its effect on your seat. It's the audible sputtering as it breathes. You are acutely aware of such sensations.

I suppose an electric vehicle could incorporate "fake" sensations, but you'd always be aware that they're fake. It's almost impossible to viscerally fake an experience. It's analogous to why CGI doesn't "feel" as real as models in their attempting to "fake" an experience.
    There are a variety of devices that are already doing this. My favorite example is the extremely low-flow Japanese toilet that rumbles and plays the sound of an especially vigorous flush to keep people from flushing repeatedly.

This is one of the places where I do think they could - and from what I've read have - come up with ways to mimic the experience. Rumblers in the engine compartment. Non-carcinogenic smells from propylene glycol foggers in the tailpipe to give "smoke".

It's very possible. But here's an idea as well - this is still in Tomorrowland. Electric cars are increasingly moving into position where it's feasible they may actually be the car of the future. Wouldn't an EV track bring the ride out of "nostalgic moment" to "actually somewhat ahead of the curve"?
    Woo! Spring is coming!