Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415 LastLast

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    It's not just the smell of the gasoline, it's the sensation of something powerful, and a little dangerous that you're "nominally" in control of. It's more than a whiff of fuel. It's the vibration of the engine and its effect on your seat. It's the highly audible, and often deliciously random sputtering as it breathes. One is acutely aware of such sensations.

I suppose an electric vehicle could incorporate "fake" gasoline engine sensations, but you'd always be aware that they're fake. It's almost impossible to viscerally fake an experience. It's analogous to why CGI doesn't "feel" as real as models in their attempting to "fake" an experience.
    That is a great way of putting it.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    This is one of the places where I do think they could - and from what I've read have - come up with ways to mimic the experience. Rumblers in the engine compartment. Non-carcinogenic smells from propylene glycol foggers in the tailpipe to give "smoke".
    But mimicry here would kill the soul. Light exhaust fumes is better than "smoke" or "foggers". Being briefly exposed to carcinogenic fumes no greater than walking along a highway meridian, or visiting an auto garage to peer underneath your car chassis while the mechanic shows you needed repairs isn't a problem that needs fixing. On the contrary, it should be encouraged here.

It's very possible. But here's an idea as well - this is still in Tomorrowland. Electric cars are increasingly moving into position where it's feasible they may actually be the car of the future. Wouldn't an EV track bring the ride out of "nostalgic moment" to "actually somewhat ahead of the curve"?
    Look, I see your point. Electric cars are "futuristic", but I don't think anyone was fooled in Autopia circa 1963 that those sputtering tiny cars they were driving were "the future". Perhaps the dynamic that the route was freeway, and not city street was the futuristic aspect.. If they wanted Autopia truly futuristic back then, then "atomic cars", complete with reactor energy noises and "robbie the robot" whistles would have been plying the roadway.

It's hard to keep nostalgia and futuristic working together. Maybe I made too big a deal of this! I don't know. Some update is good, but I don't know what that should be exactly.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 07-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.

• Singing Drinker

Rides don't have souls. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Riders may have favorite memories of the ride, preferred periods of operation under certain builds, but there's no internal continuity that influences the ride outside of the design.

The pollution angle honestly isn't one that I buy off on, but I can very easily see it being used be varying factions within Disney (as well as here) to bolster arguments one way or the other. For the record, I'm all for stripping the Chevron mascot builds off the cars and returning it to the original setup - my interest in EV Autopia is entirely one of wanting the experience to continue and taking blue-sky stabs at what it would take to get around theoretical arguments to tear out the ride. That is the main reason I even brought it up.

And by 1963? Sure, it was a little weird to consider Autopia to be a version of the future of transport. However, in 1955 when the original version opened it was different. Eisenhower was president and had yet to sign the legislation that is the codifying body of laws regarding the interstate freeway system we have today. In 1955, it was most definitely something from the future.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Rides don't have souls. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Riders may have favorite memories of the ride, preferred periods of operation under certain builds, but there's no internal continuity that influences the ride outside of the design.
    It wasn't obvious what I meant here?. "Souls" in this case is a figure of speech. It's quite common to say "the soul of the house", or "if you modify that Camaro, you'll take away it's heart and soul.

The pollution angle honestly isn't one that I buy off on, but I can very easily see it being used be varying factions within Disney (as well as here) to bolster arguments one way or the other. For the record, I'm all for stripping the Chevron mascot builds off the cars and returning it to the original setup - my interest in EV Autopia is entirely one of wanting the experience to continue and taking blue-sky stabs at what it would take to get around theoretical arguments to tear out the ride. That is the main reason I even brought it up.
    I can see the pollution angle being used as well. I don't like the precedent being set is all. This "sanitizing" can be a real (I'll say it again), soul killer. For example, it's why I'll always fight those that keep trying to Disney'ify Venice Beach, by kicking out the non-licensed beachside vendors, performers and anything a little "rough around the edges". Keep Disney away from Venice Beach I say!

Look, if I have to, I'll take electric, if I have to. I won't be pleased though, and I'll be especially concerned about the precedent being set at Disney. Perhaps a central difference between us here is that I'm taking the pessimistic, half empty glass approach, while you're thinking of workarounds, glass half full thoughts. Both types of thinking are useful in my opinion.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    It wasn't obvious what I meant here?. "Souls" in this case is a figure of speech. It's quite common to say "the soul of the house", or "if you modify that Camaro, you'll take away it's heart and soul.

I can see the pollution angle being used as well. I don't like the precedent being set is all. This "sanitizing" can be a real (I'll say it again), soul killer. For example, it's why I'll always fight those that keep trying to Disney'ify Venice Beach, by kicking out the non-licensed beachside vendors, performers and anything a little "rough around the edges". Keep Disney away from Venice Beach I say!

Look, if I have to, I'll take electric, if I have to. I won't be pleased though, and I'll be especially concerned about the precedent being set at Disney. Perhaps a central difference between us here is that I'm taking the pessimistic, half empty glass approach, while you're thinking of workarounds, glass half full thoughts. Both types of thinking are useful in my opinion.
    Fair enough. I have a personal onus against "soul" from too many friends trying to pretend they're design majors. I see it as a unified perspective applied to product design intended to foster a sense of continuity, you see soul, moving right along

I'm still unconvinced this is more than sheer bluesky guesswork around a theoretical project that is not high on the probability list more for the sheer volume of work involved (not to mention the likely need to shutter/scuttle a serious percentage of the park's hourly capacity). I think I've said what I can about the possible use of EV, and can't bring myself to go against someone fighting the Good Fight for Venice. Keep it up!
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Fair enough. I have a personal onus against "soul" from too many friends trying to pretend they're design majors. I see it as a unified perspective applied to product design intended to foster a sense of continuity, you see soul, moving right along

I'm still unconvinced this is more than sheer bluesky guesswork around a theoretical project that is not high on the probability list more for the sheer volume of work involved (not to mention the likely need to shutter/scuttle a serious percentage of the park's hourly capacity). I think I've said what I can about the possible use of EV, and can't bring myself to go against someone fighting the Good Fight for Venice. Keep it up!

Sounds good to me

• Artistic integrity

And by 1963? Sure, it was a little weird to consider Autopia to be a version of the future of transport. However, in 1955 when the original version opened it was different. Eisenhower was president and had yet to sign the legislation that is the codifying body of laws regarding the interstate freeway system we have today. In 1955, it was most definitely something from the future.
    uhhhh ....

This is the 4-level interchange in downtown LA .. connecting the Harbor and the Hollywood Freeway in 1953 :

While Walt was designing his new park - to be built in Anaheim ... freeways were already a thing of the present.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

They were being created. The system itself was still in it's infancy, and the foundation of laws that were being created to monitor and connect this system were still in the process of creation. Roads themselves existed and larger ones DID exist. However, for the majority of the country that weren't in one of the very few major cities that had freeways underway (i.e., most of America) this WAS the future, not the present.

• A Happy Haunt

Autopia is no monorail.
    the future awaits a new attraction where autopia once ruled.

• Singing Drinker

Relevant CA dates regarding freeways, since we're nitpicking:

1940: Arroyo Seco (usually cited as the first "freeway", representing the transition from the more rolling and winding 'parkway' to the modern brutalist style, also a debatable start as a four mile section of the Ramona Pkwy was converted for a failed test run a few years earlier)

1956: President Eisenhower signs the Federal Highway Act

1957: I-80 opens, the first "freeway" in CA to open under the auspices of the Federal Highway Act.

If you want, you can argue that the design of the Autopia was meant to mimic the then-present Parkways. At the design phase, it is highly probable that they would not have the access to nor the vision for the modern "blow the hell off the top of the mountain and build through" style that the mid to late fifties brought about.

• Senior Minion

They were being created. The system itself was still in it's infancy, and the foundation of laws that were being created to monitor and connect this system were still in the process of creation. Roads themselves existed and larger ones DID exist. However, for the majority of the country that weren't in one of the very few major cities that had freeways underway (i.e., most of America) this WAS the future, not the present.
    Exactly right. In the mid-50s -- an era when the parents of us post-war kids had been born in the 1920s and our grandparents were Walt's age -- Disneyland's Autopia very much fit with our overall feeling of what was futuristic.

Three years after the park opened, that spirit was embodied in Disney's animated Magic Highway U.S.A. Walt's introduction to the show embodied the "America on the move" flavor of Tomorrowland's Autopia and Viewliner, and later the Monorail, PeopleMover and all of Tomorrowland '67.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

Yes, Disneyland was built for a world audience, where, elsewhere, freeways were still a few years off. But that's it. Just a few years.

But how do you ignore the obvious .... when you are living, working, have a film studio, and building a theme park ... right in the place where Freeways were already a reality, and for a few years? And dub the Autopia futuristic? I know freeway history for Southern Calfornia all too well. When overpasses for the future Hollywood 101, Santa Ana 5, and Harbor 110 began construction as early as 1946. Walt would have had to be blind, to not notice the "progress" going on around him.

It's obvious to me - the push behind Autopia was purely "novelty." After all, this was the golden age of the automobile. And from 1955 on .. .it just got better. Introduction of more interesting shapes. Chrome, fins, you name it! The 1950s and 1960s belong to the Automobile. Autopia may have been routed into a "todayland" premise .. but it didn't matter. The love of the car was strong in California - through the 50s to today ... keeping Autopia in vogue. If not futuristic.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right. In the mid-50s -- an era when the parents of us post-war kids had been born in the 1920s and our grandparents were Walt's age -- Disneyland's Autopia very much fit with our overall feeling of what was futuristic.

Three years after the park opened, that spirit was embodied in Disney's animated Magic Highway U.S.A. Walt's introduction to the show embodied the "America on the move" flavor of Tomorrowland's Autopia and Viewliner, and later the Monorail, PeopleMover and all of Tomorrowland '67.
    Isn't that the movie they butchered for the Rocket Rods queue? Only decent part of that thing.

Well, there is a future for the automobile. Autopia could be upgraded. An upgrade would mean getting rid of the rail and letting lasers guide the car as you cruise around hands free. Just sit down in the car and it does the rest, no bumping, or collisions. Electric power for the quietest motors ever. With all these possibilities, Disney could ramp up the speed, add inclines and declines and banked curves. Design the cars to resemble Tron mini-quad runners. No big slot car's land style stuff.

Well, a lot of kids love Autopia, a chance to drive under safe conditions, no license required. Too many adults saying "it's not for me." They are right. It's not for them.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    While Walt was designing his new park - to be built in Anaheim ... freeways were already a thing of the present.
    See - Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged