Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

I sure hope these are just rumors that never come to fruition. Autopia is one of the oldest and most classic rides in Disneyland, one of the top rides that always come to mind when people bring up Disneyland.

Autopia was put in Tomorrowland because it represented the part of Walt's dedication speech saying "...here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future." It is meant for children to enjoy the joys of driving, something they won't actually be able to do usually for another decade or more. Autopia also gave parents time to relax while kids drove, to have fun with their children together, or to drive one alone and become a child themselves.

I agree that Autopia needs an update, as does all of Tomorrowland (which when looking at the attractions there today should really now be referred to as Sci-Fi Land since the only part of the entire land that even broaches the subject of our actual future is the Home of the Future in Innoventions). The gas fumes and breakdowns are a problem, which is even more reason they should be converted to all-electric cars. Plenty of go-kart companies make electric cars that work great, go fast, and are quickly recharged (or you can just swap out the battery).

What should be done with Autopia is Disney should partner with Tesla Motors to design an all-electric Autopia car of the future. It could have LED screens on it that show you driving along some major highway, maybe even make it touch screen and the kids get a call from Mickey or Minnie or Donald or other characters that can change randomly to make each time you drive a unique experience (a technology becoming more and more popular in resort attractions). Tesla is most definitely representative of the car of the future and the future driving experience. You don't need to mimic fake car sounds, because the cars of the future will be all electric and completely silent. It would be a huge marketing campaign for Tesla and electric cars in general and a great potential future partnership. Disney could/should also use the large roof surface area on top of Autopia and maybe Innoventions to install a solar PV system they can use to store in larger batteries used to charge the Autopia cars, making them a truly clean energy vehicle. Probably could make a deal with Tesla and team up with Solar City as well to get a good deal and a quick install.

Just imagine the huge national and worldwide press Disney would get if they made this massive partnership with leading clean energy companies and devoted one of their top attractions to be a daily working example and symbol of their devotion to clean energy and the importance of its fast adoption.

They could design the cars to be recharged in only a few minutes, or have easily changed battery packs that cast members can then put to charge and swap with a fully charged one. The Autopia track is only about a half mile, short enough to make cars that could easily drive around a couple dozen times before needing to be charged or have a battery swap.

The new Autopia with electric cars would be sleekly designed, all-electric clean cars, have cool gadgets and touch screens to enhance the experience, create a partnership with a new growing company of the future, and send a positive message to the world and youth of the future about the importance of clean energy transportation. They would be so cool and fun I'm sure most adults would want to drive them too simply because they're cleaner and have cooler gadgets than their real cars do!

Like everything in Tomorrowland, all you need to do is use some imagination and really look to the future and you can come up with amazing new or reinvented attractions that actually exhibit intriguing and exciting future advancements.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

James (by the way, great name [hint to my own real name ]), that is a great idea, and very similar to one I had of my own for the Autopia. Over on Laughing Place, and briefly on this site, I brought up an idea of switching out the current fossil fuel engines with electric cars. However, the cars would be fitted with a developing technology that uses coils embedded in the road and the bottom of the vehicle to charge the car as it is driving. The video for it is here, and gives better details: When the road charges your electric car - YouTube. This way, batteries wouldn't even need to be changed, and only have to charge for a bit at the beginning of the day; the rest of the day they would charge on the track.

And as for the solar idea you mentioned, there is another company working on creating solar panel road surfaces that would collect solar energy and direct it into a city's electric grid (story is here: http://gajitz.com/follow-the-s...-future/). Here, Disney could get real creative and use the solar panels to power Tomorrowland's exterior lights and signs, and even the Autopia attraction itself.

Like you said, it would be a HUGE PR win for Disney to have an attraction that demonstrated how "green" we can go in the future. I like the idea of them partnering up with Tesla. That would help give the cars a sleek look, as well as the funding needed to get those two upcoming technologies into working condition (at least for this attraction)

Bob, I've seen that and would be an awesome idea to do for continuous charging! I think my only fear with that would be that if there are charged plates on the ground and one day by accident a cast member or guest touches it and gets electrocuted.. could be very bad.

I also think partnering with Tesla would be a brilliant move because they could also use that strategic partnership to get Tesla to build a regular and supercharger station in the Disney parking lot. Offering free parking to electric vehicles and free charging for guests who come in their electric car.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

I'm afraid I'll have to side with the "nays"... tear it, Nemo, and Innoventions, to the ground. All of it.

Too much wasted land.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    I also think partnering with Tesla would be a brilliant move because they could also use that strategic partnership to get Tesla to build a regular and supercharger station in the Disney parking lot. Offering free parking to electric vehicles and free charging for guests who come in their electric car.
    Great ideas James. It's like how Volvo owners get parking perks at Legoland, except way cooler. Tesla is a rapidly growing company who could be ready to sponsor a single attraction as early as 2016.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Bob, I've seen that and would be an awesome idea to do for continuous charging! I think my only fear with that would be that if there are charged plates on the ground and one day by accident a cast member or guest touches it and gets electrocuted.. could be very bad.

That is a valid concern. Though the coils only work when another one is over it, therefore it would not be charged if someone were to walk on one.

And great idea on the free charging stations!

• New Member Goes Forth

Autopia doesn't really showcase the future of car transport, unless it shows lots of traffic jams
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• A Happy Haunt

It's simply a matter of nostalgia anymore.
    I seriously believe that Walt would encourage a relevant, new, attraction. He was a visionary and autopia fit then, not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsleder85 View Post
    James (by the way, great name [hint to my own real name ]), that is a great idea, and very similar to one I had of my own for the Autopia. Over on Laughing Place, and briefly on this site, I brought up an idea of switching out the current fossil fuel engines with electric cars. However, the cars would be fitted with a developing technology that uses coils embedded in the road and the bottom of the vehicle to charge the car as it is driving. The video for it is here, and gives better details: When the road charges your electric car - YouTube. This way, batteries wouldn't even need to be changed, and only have to charge for a bit at the beginning of the day; the rest of the day they would charge on the track.
    Maybe they could rename Autopia "Slot Car Racers."

I say get rid of it and Innoventions and go with a big Fantasyland expansion as well as new ride actual in theme with "Tomorrowland."

They originally had some plans for an Autopia-style ride that would twist around and through RSR over in Carsland. They should just go ahead and do that and let that DCA be the car park. Driving fits the whole California theme better than "Tomorrow" anyway. They also need extra car-driving capacity over there with the long lines.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 07-12-2013 at 08:14 AM.

How many people here were happy that Jack Sparrow was added at various points on Pirates of the Caribbean? I'll take a stab and say not too many. I say keep the gasoline engines. If we're going to modify the ride, then add animatronics, add a tunnel filled with mist, increase capacity, but keep the gasoline engines.

Gas engines is an essential novelty here. If you need to "futurize" the ride, then add a little steampunk/industrial theme on a fraction of the track -- it might make it easier for those that want a futuristic Autopia to keep the gasoline engine, and embrace futurism simultaneously.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 07-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.

• Senior Minion

They aren't going to keep it or create any new version of it because all Disney builds is movie themed attractions now, period. You can wax on all you want about what Walt would do, but this ain't Walt's park anymore. The only way Autopia will stay long term is if they make it a Tony Stark ride where you get to ride in little Audi or the make a futuristic sequel to Cars called, "Cars 2050".
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

if i see marvel in this park, parts of my heart and magic will die....
    please dont do that to meee.
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME ºoº
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They aren't going to keep it or create any new version of it because all Disney builds is movie themed attractions now, period. You can wax on all you want about what Walt would do, but this ain't Walt's park anymore. The only way Autopia will stay long term is if they make it a Tony Stark ride where you get to ride in little Audi or the make a futuristic sequel to Cars called, "Cars 2050".
    I want to laugh it off as a joke or sarcasm, but in my heart I know that you're completely, 100% correct, Uncle Bob.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They aren't going to keep it or create any new version of it because all Disney builds is movie themed attractions now, period.
    The new truth...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Capt without a ship...

I say if you do update it, electric cars are a very nice way - but upgrade the scenery during the drive. I'd live to see a small scale future city (a la Epcot) or a scaled down DL be the scenery you drive around - kind of a Grand Tour of the park in small scale.

Is that too similar to the Storybook Canal boats, because I think the detail they pack into that ride would be awesome to use in a future setting.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast