Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

I wonder about this "movie-derived attractions" mentality. Who says that a futuristic Autopia, based upon bleeding-edge (or plausible future technology), couldn't be the "reverse" catalyst for the filmed-entertainment?

This has happened before, with Pirates and now the Thunder Mountain franchises, among others.

If a real-world Tony Stark, like, say... Elon Musk, could bring something truly visionary to Autopia (or other attractions in Tomorrowland), then perhaps that same concept feeds the subsequent media and merchandising. I would definitely (and suspect others might too), purchase new Teslatopia or Mission to Mars 2025 (or whatever) shirts, collectibles and, if the franchise doesn't suck, film-related items tied back into the attraction.

This mentality of waiting to see if a particular film or TV franchise hits to bring a derivative attraction to the parks has to stop. While Disneyland did integrate elements and / or thematic undertones from their films into many opening day attractions, it wasn't the only way they did it. Partnerships with commercial partners led to the very best legacy attractions and I believe that they should go back to exploring this method of incubating new creative concepts more often.
    ~ Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Yes, Disneyland was built for a world audience, where, elsewhere, freeways were still a few years off. But that's it. Just a few years.

But how do you ignore the obvious .... when you are living, working, have a film studio, and building a theme park ... right in the place where Freeways were already a reality, and for a few years? And dub the Autopia futuristic? I know freeway history for Southern Calfornia all too well. When overpasses for the future Hollywood 101, Santa Ana 5, and Harbor 110 began construction as early as 1946. Walt would have had to be blind, to not notice the "progress" going on around him.

It's obvious to me - the push behind Autopia was purely "novelty." After all, this was the golden age of the automobile. And from 1955 on .. .it just got better. Introduction of more interesting shapes. Chrome, fins, you name it! The 1950s and 1960s belong to the Automobile. Autopia may have been routed into a "todayland" premise .. but it didn't matter. The love of the car was strong in California - through the 50s to today ... keeping Autopia in vogue. If not futuristic.
    No, it's a testament to Walt's ability to not think myopically. You just have the history wrong as indicated by posters above. It was definitely an item of the future, albeit really near future, and an idea that had the nation captivated. It is indeed futuristic (at the time).
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    No, it's a testament to Walt's ability to not think myopically. You just have the history wrong as indicated by posters above. It was definitely an item of the future, albeit really near future, and an idea that had the nation captivated. It is indeed futuristic (at the time).
    I see examples like this and I always think about the differences between American's optimistic outlook in the 50's and 60's and where we actually ended up. I'm no spokesman but I believe that Walt thought that the American freeway, being a concept just coming to life then, would have no problem growing into the type of type of things conceptualized in post-Walt attractions like World of Motion. Under that sort of optimism the Autopia would be long gone today and replaced with an attraction that showcased flying vehicles or supersonic space cars, or water cars, or jet cars.. or whatever you ended up choosing at the end of World of Motion.

Sadly today's American freeways remain frozen relics of the past, only the cars have been updated. Like most freeways the Autopia stinks of burning fossil fuel, are subject to constant traffic jams, and could use a bit of paving here and there. Since there's no point in putting an HOV lane in the Autopia, I'd say that the attraction still has a bit of a shelf life left.. sadly. And besides, let's not forget that many generations of kids share the same memory of learning to drive with mom or pop at Disneyland on the Autopia.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    I sure hope these are just rumors that never come to fruition. Autopia is one of the oldest and most classic rides in Disneyland, one of the top rides that always come to mind when people bring up Disneyland.
    When I think Disneyland, Autopia never comes to mind. What does? Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, even small world. I can't wait to see what replaces Autopia.

I was always under the impression that Autopia fit in the Tomorrowland theme not because it represented a vision of how society would transit across great distances; but rather the future for a six year old kid. A more personal future, not that of mankind as a whole.

I remember feeling like being able to drive a car was a distant, far off into the future kind of thing. Autopia was a chance to have some gas-fueled horsepower under my foot (even though it may have only been like 2 or 3 horses worth). Once I got behind the wheel of a real car (I started driving on private property at 10), the Autopia illusion was effectively killed.

That also fit in with the Fantasyland theme as well. Although, when I was a kid, somehow I felt the Fantasyland track was for girls, Tomorrowland for boys. I guess that's how I viewed both lands anyway. Except Peter Pan was pretty rad. And Mr. Toad's was insane.

• A Happy Haunt

Today's Autopia is like yesterday's Stagecoach ride...

• Down Pluto!

I'd love to ride a stagecoach through Nature's Wonderland once again!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

That's how I looked at it as a kid. I loved going to WDW and riding SM, BTMRR, and driving my own car on the Indy 500 track which was longer before Mickey's Toontown Fair took about a third of the track away. I also looked forward to the family trips to our local go kart track in Maitland. They even had a "slick Track" in Maitland that I could drive as an older kid.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I see examples like this and I always think about the differences between American's optimistic outlook in the 50's and 60's and where we actually ended up. I'm no spokesman but I believe that Walt thought that the American freeway, being a concept just coming to life then, would have no problem growing into the type of type of things conceptualized in post-Walt attractions like World of Motion. Under that sort of optimism the Autopia would be long gone today and replaced with an attraction that showcased flying vehicles or supersonic space cars, or water cars, or jet cars.. or whatever you ended up choosing at the end of World of Motion.

Sadly today's American freeways remain frozen relics of the past, only the cars have been updated. Like most freeways the Autopia stinks of burning fossil fuel, are subject to constant traffic jams, and could use a bit of paving here and there. Since there's no point in putting an HOV lane in the Autopia, I'd say that the attraction still has a bit of a shelf life left.. sadly. And besides, let's not forget that many generations of kids share the same memory of learning to drive with mom or pop at Disneyland on the Autopia.
    No disagreement here.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415