Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Professortango is a reliable poster who I've never seen make things up or given me any reason not to trust that he was really told this by someone in the know. Of course things can change, but I think that this is very likely to be true. Makes sense too, if they are going to close down the center of TL after the 60th, they'll need to be able to leave a path to Space Mountain. This would let them finish a path through the current site of Innoventions to allow access to SM so they can then remodel the rest of the land.

You have to keep in mind too that this will be a really complex demolition project so it will take some time. The old Carousel theater is a complex building with lots of big heavy parts and the Autopia is even tougher with it blended in with PM tracks, Monorail tracks and the Subs building. Lots of stuff to avoid damaging and it will be very difficult to get big equipment in an out of many places. It just wouldn't surprise me at all to just have walls go up one day soon, this is a huge undertaking that is going to take some time. Probably doesn't make sense to announce what will go there for a while because it will be so long until it opens.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I really really hope the OP is right.

Autopia is a boring, unmarketable, completely out of theme waste of space. Use the southern half w/loading area for a new ride that actually has something to do with Tomorrowland, and give the Northern part over to a big Fantasyland expansion. The engineering problems with the sub building can be worked around, and considering that there is space there for at least 3 decent sized rides, the cost would be well worth it long term.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I really really hope the OP is right.

Autopia is a boring, unmarketable, completely out of theme ...
    Out of theme?

Howso? At the time it was built, the freeway system is was meant to mimic was still under construction and quite the dream of the future. Since then, the retro-future push slides an attraction under the line, and now... I'm not sure there IS a coherent theme to Tomorrowland you can argue that it's violating.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Out of theme?

Howso? At the time it was built, the freeway system is was meant to mimic was still under construction and quite the dream of the future. Since then, the retro-future push slides an attraction under the line, and now... I'm not sure there IS a coherent theme to Tomorrowland you can argue that it's violating.
    Kids today dream of driving their own cars in the future

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Kids today dream of driving their own cars in the future
    That's basically what I always figured the point of Autopia was. They've always hyped how drivers of all ages can take to the road with no license required.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Idk why they cant move the autopia to where the fantasyland one was and have it go around there, with the tomorrowland section gone there's room for another ride and Disney purists will be happy and i'll be happy and TDA will be un happy as usual
    Actually, no. When they redid the Autopia some years ago, they actually combined the two different Autopia tracks into one ride. Besides, which, I think they were actually intertwined, if I remember correctly, so there would be no added space.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Professortango is a reliable poster who I've never seen make things up or given me any reason not to trust that he was really told this by someone in the know.
    Agreed, but I still find this very hard to believe.

• Artistic integrity

I would love nothing more than to see Autopia bite the bullet. It does absolutely zilch to support the theme of Tomorrowland. So, I would love nothing more than for the original poster's source to be true on this. Now for the proverbial - BUT ..... I use to think that WDI was made up of "ONE team" .. all working on the same projects together. Over the course of the last 10 years ... I'm getting this feeling it's actually made up of "factions" .. many "mini teams". All with their own ideas ... Then put through a process to see who's idea gets the greenlight. And until then ... little hints are dropped out into the net - And no one really knows what's really going to happen. In the last couple of years - I've learned now .... that it's not just "Iron Man - Stark EXPO" ... It's also "Tron" which seems to manage to sneak back into the rumor mill .. and yet another - Another ride, using the "Tron" ride system .. .but with a different show. So, there seems to be multiple ideas making the rounds .. like it's a great big carousel .. Like Wheel of Fortune ... not knowing where the arrow is going to fall on.

With every fiber of my being ... I really hope it will not fall onto the Marvel ideas. Please ... stick those modern day super heroes where they belong - In a "world" of their own.

And back on Autopia - I think we are under estimating the enormous complex issue of the Monorail beam way. Not to mention the Peoplemover track ... which I hope someday is rebuilt or re-used and strenghthened .. to support a new Peoplemover/sh ride. I can't imagine a future remodel of the land .. without a "grand circle tour" of the entire land. Not just part of it - ALL of it.

And as others suggested - It makes no sense at all - For a rumor that only covers one corner of the land - When the rumor should entail the WHOLE land ... since the entire land is in need of a remodel. Whatever they want to do with Innovention's space .. and possibly Autopia's space ... has to be part of some "Master Plan" for all of Tomorrowland.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

And in this blueprint of TL, you can make out the light line that runs up ... where east wall of the submarine ride bunker building ends. And if they were to avoid the footprint of the subs .. you can see what's left. But look what's above that strip of Autopia - Monorail beamway cutting across at 3 points!

MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Banned User

Maybe Star Wars land is coming to both coasts??

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Apparently the deciding factor is the gas emissions. They've been getting pressure to redesign the entire fleet to cut down on the air pollution. It was the excuse Disney needed to finally burry this longtime attraction.

As for a source, I can't disclose that. Its the same source I found that the ladder safety and railings were the big upset from DOSH when they started closing rides awhile ago/tried to cancel Aladdin's ride out on the elephant. Also where I learned of the magic shop closing down before they hired an outside company to reopen it and run it.

So, believe what you wish. I just heard that walls will be up in TL to remove these attractions and thought I'd share the up to date news.
    I understand and that's cool of you to post but do you have a timetable on when we can expect walls to go up?

• Down Pluto!

I'll take any old Autopia over ten Marvel attractions anytime. If there has to be a Marvel attraction - put it in Innoventions where I don't have to look at it. I no longer go in there anyway, so no big loss. Win-win in my book.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Maybe Star Wars land is coming to both coasts??
    EDIT - I hope with every fiber of my being - Marvel, AND Star Wars get nowhere close to one of Disneyland's original 5 lands! They both can go in places that is a natural organic fit for both of them!
    MY SIGNATURE:

•   
    • Minion

One can only hope this is true. It's hard to figure though on here we have heard rumors of this for a long time now. Also involving Iron Man or Tron replacing innoventions. I hope it's true because autopia needs to either go or be re-imagined to be more eco-friendly and future like imo.

I do believe sometimes these rumors are the first step in gauging fan reaction.

I absolutely love Autopia. Great ride for the kids. Runs cleaner than current cars do. Update it to electric and make it futuristic if ya want. Reallocate it to Fantasyland if need be.
    Attractions that actually go somewhere instead of being strapped into a simulator need to be a part of Disneyland.
    Sadly after looking at it on Google Earth it probably is a lot of prime real estate and one of the few green areas left in the park that would be ripe for construction.

Great little Chevron press release when it was reopened back in 2000.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast