Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    They should tear out those stupid finding nemo subs and redo it as a delux version of the REAL Submarine Voyage complete with Sea Serpents, mermaids, the lost city of atlantis, and all new aquatic life. Not this pixar cash-in nonsense they have going on over there.
    Hear hear!!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Not here to help

Tomorrowland needs something from tomrrow... and NOT Marvel.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Tourist

I hope there will always be an Autopia. It's one of the classic rides in the park, and a lot of fun for kids. Most of us who post here are adults, and it easy for us to forget to look at DL from a child's viewpoint.

I enjoyed Autopia as a kid, my kids enjoyed it, and I hope to someday see my grandchildren having fun on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    They should tear out those stupid finding nemo subs and redo it as a delux version of the REAL Submarine Voyage complete with Sea Serpents, mermaids, the lost city of atlantis, and all new aquatic life. Not this pixar cash-in nonsense they have going on over there.
    I could buy into that, though I still wasn't a fan of the original (well, the version I saw as a kid/teen in the 80's/90's). But this version now is so silly and the wait is ridiculous for what you get.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    I hope there will always be an Autopia. It's one of the classic rides in the park, and a lot of fun for kids. Most of us who post here are adults, and it easy for us to forget to look at DL from a child's viewpoint.

I enjoyed Autopia as a kid, my kids enjoyed it, and I hope to someday see my grandchildren having fun on it.
    Have to agree one of my most prominent memories of Disneyland as a kid is Autopia. I wouldn't even go on it if it was a walk on today, but I still enjoyed it as a kid.

A part of me likes Autopia and Innoventions, however I still would like this rumor to be true.
    Matthew

• Banned User

I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if they fund a massive expansion like this at DL without at least SOME further investment into DCA first. I know everybody wants a TL redo, but DCA isn't prepared yet to withstand a massive DL expansion without a huge change back in park attendance structure. For the good of the ENTIRE resort, and not just Walts beloved DL, they need to continue to plus DCA first before really big investments into DL. IMHO

man i hope this isn't true. i know its probably inevitable for marvel to make a presence in the parks, but autopia + innoventions is a lot of land. personally i don't think marvel (in its current incarnation) has proved its timelessness to justify using up that much space.

i know they've made a lot of money over the last ten years, but that's partly because they've been pumping out three films a year (many of which were duds). who's to say super heroes aren't just a passing fad? indiana jones and star wars each had a quarter century to prove their worth before they got attractions. if the marvel films remained relevant in that amount of time i would not complain if they built a ride or two around them.

also, i would miss the smell of gasoline on autopia, surely i can't be the only one?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    While I wish this was true I'll have to take the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

Not because I don't think it "could" happen, but as others have said, Autopia sits right on top of the Subs building. So unless they are also going to close the Subs permanently or for an extended period of time there really isn't anything major that could go in that spot.

If the Subs were to stay and some kind of Marvel E-ticket was to be built where Autopia is you'd have to reinforce the subs building which would probably mean probably fully enclosing the subs building with a modern building that would support whatever would be going on top. In turn this would impact the evacuation procedures for the Subs.

The cost of insuring the subs could stay and something major could be built on top would probably cost more than the entire new attraction. Especially with earthquake codes in CA.

And I can't see them ditching the subs considering how much $$ was spent on bringing them back as an underwater movie just 8 years ago.

I hope the OP is correct. Only time will tell I guess.
    I would be sad to see Autopia go from a nostalgic point of view.

The building housing Innoventions once housed great attractions like the Carousel of Progress and America Sings, but its current "tenant" obviously leaves much to be desired.

And I am opposed to anything Marvel inside Disneyland, on principle. Put it in DCA, or better yet in its own third gate that I can ignore entirely. Give me a new, imaginative, Disney attraction if such a thing is still possible.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if they fund a massive expansion like this at DL without at least SOME further investment into DCA first. I know everybody wants a TL redo, but DCA isn't prepared yet to withstand a massive DL expansion without a huge change back in park attendance structure. For the good of the ENTIRE resort, and not just Walts beloved DL, they need to continue to plus DCA first before really big investments into DL. IMHO
    Disagree. They just basically built DCA into a real park, spending millions to undo the mistakes of the beginning. Some Disneyland love needs to be the next priority.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    who's to say super heroes aren't just a passing fad? indiana jones and star wars each had a quarter century to prove their worth before they got attractions.
    Superheroes have been around since 1938, they are hardly a passing fad.

Further, Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in 1981 with its ride opening in 1995. That is 14 years, not a quarter of a century. Simillarly, Star Wars came out in 1979 with its ride opening in 1987, which is only 8 years – well under the quarter century mark.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

Further, Raiders of the Lost Ark came out in 1981 with its ride opening in 1995. That is 14 years, not a quarter of a century. Simillarly, Star Wars came out in 1979 with its ride opening in 1987, which is only 8 years – well under the quarter century mark.
    yes, you're right, i should of looked up my facts first. but star wars was '77, and the ride was '87, so there was 10 years from movie to ride.

i know superheroes have been around a while, but i'm talking specifically about this current incarnation of avengers, which i'm assuming is what they'll base an attraction around. the first iron man was only 5 years ago. to me it just feels like that's banking in on a current trend, a la the transformers ride at universal, instead of taking a chance on creating something original and classic, which is disneyland's forte.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I think DCA could take on the extra crowds easy. Back in the 90s basically all of TL was shut down to re-model it and DL alone was able to take it one no problem. They could do this again even easier now utilizing the whiole resort.

I could care less about losing Innoventions, but I would be so sad if Autopia left. I don't know why they don't just update the cars to green energy (either Solar powered, Electric, etc...) thus saving this beloved attraction and making it fit the TL theme better.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

Superheros wer around since 1938 in COMIC form. they built their universes through decades of comic book fans. They expanded some when television versions came about. But still, the major Marvel/DC fans are comic book based.

The recent decades of big screen superhero films have been limited. Their stories are tightly contained and restricted. Outside of the epic cinematic extravaganzas, they are pretty pedestrian. They have even reverted to telling the same story over and over (Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Hulk, etc.).

Personally, I've gotten a bit tired of recent superhero films. I used to be enthusiastic about new releases, but when it appears that the next release will just be the same story with a new actor and/or director, i pretty much write it off.

While supreheros may not be able to be completely written off as a passing fad, they appear to be approaching saturation.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast