Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Superheros wer around since 1938 in COMIC form. they built their universes through decades of comic book fans. They expanded some when television versions came about. But still, the major Marvel/DC fans are comic book based.

The recent decades of big screen superhero films have been limited. Their stories are tightly contained and restricted. Outside of the epic cinematic extravaganzas, they are pretty pedestrian. They have even reverted to telling the same story over and over (Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Hulk, etc.).

Personally, I've gotten a bit tired of recent superhero films. I used to be enthusiastic about new releases, but when it appears that the next release will just be the same story with a new actor and/or director, i pretty much write it off.

While supreheros may not be able to be completely written off as a passing fad, they appear to be approaching saturation.

The first Superman movie came out in 1978. 35 years later comic book movies are still big buiness and a big part of pop culture. Sure, people we eventually grow tired of the same old story, but $526 millon worldwide for Man Of Steel tells me that it won't be anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I'll take any old Autopia over ten Marvel attractions anytime. If there has to be a Marvel attraction - put it in Innoventions where I don't have to look at it. I no longer go in there anyway, so no big loss. Win-win in my book.
    LOL.

Change is good. Bring on Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar. The general population would love to have new lands/rides based on these properties. It's only the stubborn Disney traditionalists that are against it.

• Banned User

biggsworth, my contention isn't that DCA couldn't handle the crowds due to TL being closed, my contention is that once the project is finished, the parks would be back in the situation of DL drawing more than twice as much attendance as DCA because of the hype for the new expansion and DCA's still relatively low attraction count when compared to DL. If TDA wanted to have a modest DCA expansion with another e-ticket, Monstropolis for example, then I think it could maintain its own, but I don't think its ready yet and they above all else, cant disrupt, in any way, the huge corner they have turned in being successful in more evenly distributing resort guests between the 2 parks. This fact is what has given so much flexibility for the future. They can not screw with that.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Stomper622 View Post
    LOL.

Change is good. Bring on Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar. The general population would love to have new lands/rides based on these properties. It's only the stubborn Disney traditionalists that are against it.
    Correction - We "traditionalists" are welcome to it - Just don't shoehorn them in anywhere / ignoring the delicate place-making that the parks are built on.

Put them in places that are a NATURAL FIT for them. Like a Third Gate, or land in DCA, if there's any room for one.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Down Pluto!

LOL.

While I appreciate the original and classic attractions, I am hardly a "Disney traditionalist" as I enjoy new attractions and changes - just not all of them. Not every change is an improvement. I simply am bored to death with Marvel. Where I used to read the comics, then see the premiere movies, there is just so much Marvel out there now that I feel I am being waterboarded with it. It is beyond mere oversaturation. I never want to see another Spiderman movie again! Avengers - OK, but Avengers 2 and 3? Please - ENOUGH! Even Iron Man, the first was great, second wore me out, and I am debating if I will even put Iron Man 3 in my Netflix queue.

Just turn down the darn volume, it is becoming as annoying as the cars in my neighborhood with those million-watt stereos that set off car alarms a block away. Too much of a good thing can be deadly. Marvel is now dead to me.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
    • Evil Genius

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Marvel is now dead to me.
    Haha! Quote of the day.

I would like to see Autopia stay and get a referb. Electric cars and stuff... Honda sponsorship and all... Innoventions could become a Stark Enterprises attraction and sprinkle in some Marvel stuff on the bottom floor... Everyone wins!
    I prefer Evil Genius!
    www.evilgeniusguide.blogspot.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    After D23 most of these rumor threads will fade away to page 15 in the threads section. I believe every word of Jeffery Epstein when he mentioned that there would be no new attraction announcements. If there was something in the works for the near future then it Disney would want the concept out in the public's eye as soon as possible to gauge interest.
    Rumors will always be around sites like this, it's what we do. They were around before D23 existed and they will be around long after it's gone. Disney doesn't put things out to the public to gauge interest. The idea is just silly, by the time they put anything in front of the public they've already spent massive amounts of money to develop it. Not to mention they would have no scientific method of "Gauging Interest." They will have already determined what they think the public reaction will be by doing surveys, looking at the IP's sales and looking at in-park logistics for years before anything gets announced to the public.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if they fund a massive expansion like this at DL without at least SOME further investment into DCA first. I know everybody wants a TL redo, but DCA isn't prepared yet to withstand a massive DL expansion without a huge change back in park attendance structure. For the good of the ENTIRE resort, and not just Walts beloved DL, they need to continue to plus DCA first before really big investments into DL. IMHO
    I get where you're coming from, but this wouldn't mean that nothing happens at DCA. In fact, they could very well start this demolition project this fall and still actually premier the next new attraction in DCA before the ones on this site open. Like I said before, this is a massive and complex demolition project that will probably take over a year. Then the site will sit for a bit, then they'll start on what will inevitably be an extremely complex replacement project. On the other hand, the whole back-lot of Hollywood Land could be ripped out in a couple of weeks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Rumors will always be around sites like this, it's what we do. They were around before D23 existed and they will be around long after it's gone. Disney doesn't put things out to the public to gauge interest. The idea is just silly, by the time they put anything in front of the public they've already spent massive amounts of money to develop it. Not to mention they would have no scientific method of "Gauging Interest." They will have already determined what they think the public reaction will be by doing surveys, looking at the IP's sales and looking at in-park logistics for years before anything gets announced to the public.
    With the internet, now days there are more than enough ways to gage interest.

Disney putting out information to spur interest, is a viable option. Keeping everything secret (Avatar) can be counter to getting potential customers interested. There are circumstances where keeping segments of proprietary or time critical elements amy be necessary.

However, Disney's (Cameron's) resistance to provide ANY information about a new park land has actually damaged their credibility. THe speculation concerning Avatarland has ranged from doubt that Disney is capable to actually create a land that can represent the film's dramatic environmental aspects, to disinterest, in whether the Avatar film even being worthy of any effort to create a park land, to doubts that Disney even has their Imagineers working on any such project.

I can't conceive why there could be NO elements that, presented to the public, wouldn't cause excitement and still not damage the overall effort (if there is one).

• Banned User

I think that would be the way to go. Exactly what USO has done with building Transformers while a larger project,Potter, is under way.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    With the internet, now days there are more than enough ways to gage interest.

Disney putting out information to spur interest, is a viable option. Keeping everything secret (Avatar) can be counter to getting potential customers interested. There are circumstances where keeping segments of proprietary or time critical elements amy be necessary.

However, Disney's (Cameron's) resistance to provide ANY information about a new park land has actually damaged their credibility. THe speculation concerning Avatarland has ranged from doubt that Disney is capable to actually create a land that can represent the film's dramatic environmental aspects, to disinterest, in whether the Avatar film even being worthy of any effort to create a park land, to doubts that Disney even has their Imagineers working on any such project.

I can't conceive why there could be NO elements that, presented to the public, wouldn't cause excitement and still not damage the overall effort (if there is one).
    There's also the counter argument that people delay their vacations when you hype something too long before it premieres. I also don't think they care much about the opinions of a microscopic minority on the internet doubting Disney because they haven't shown more Avatar plans. Nobody knows what's happening with Avatar, but it very well may be featured heavily at D23. They said no new product announcements, not that they won't be showing concept art for things that have already been announced.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

It's only the stubborn Disney traditionalists that are against it.
    Hardly. I know many longtime Star Wars and Marvel fans who are very worried about what the tonedeaf management of Disney's Corporate Marketing Machine will do to those brands.

Change is good.
    Again, hardly. Good change is good. Change driven by bottom-line greed and implemented by revolving-door managers whose vision is as shortsighted as the next quarter's profits, is not good. Disney fans who assume that Disney won't jam Star Wars and Marvel through the same Golden Goose Juicer that has squeezed so many other properties to death do so at their own risk.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Again, hardly. Good change is good. Change driven by bottom-line greed and implemented by revolving-door managers whose vision is as shortsighted as the next quarter's profits, is not good. Disney fans who assume that Disney won't jam Star Wars and Marvel through the same Golden Goose Juicer that has squeezed so many other properties to death do so at their own risk.
    This.

I'm hardly a traditionalist, and I do like Star Wars and some Marvel characters. I was a comic book collector for a very long time.

However, one of the quibbles I have about adding them to the park in a larger way is that they are not really Disney. Yeah, Disney bought them, but Marvel in particular has 50 years of its own strong history that is totally separate from Disney. To me, it's like putting Warner Bros. characters in the park - it doesn't belong in a park that was established with different characters and mindset.

Plus, frankly, the Marvel comics are a heckuva lot less sanitized than the films, and to make them family friendly for the parks you're really going to have to tone them down a bit, or used watered-down film versions, which might not sit well with comics fans. They would be better served in a third gate, which could be presented as an edgier, more adult park.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

What's the difference between having Indiana Jones in the park and Marvel in the park?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    What's the difference between having Indiana Jones in the park and Marvel in the park?
    Marvel doesn't have a Lucas & Spielberg to make sure Disney doesn't screw it up.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast