Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• Down Pluto!

Re: Say goodbye to Autopia

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Autopia stinks. I say dump it
    Marvel stinks. I say sell it off

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Marvel stinks. I say sell it off

Good one!

• Former Churro Jockey

I would hate to see Autopia go away altogether. I haven't gone on it since I got my real driver's license, but when I was a kid I do remember looking forward to driving the Autopia cars by myself every bit as much as going on Space Mountain or Big Thunder. I agree that they should make it a Fantasyland ride, and just demolish the Tomorrowland portion of the track. Although, as several other people have pointed out, there would be room to build much else because of the subs and monorail. I suppose they could put the Tron light cycles there instead of on the people mover track (and enclose them so the ride is the dark). Unfortunately though, I just don't think that they're going to gain enough real estate to do anything significant by getting rid of just the Tomorrowland portion, so my guess is that it's going to be all or nothing when it comes to getting rid of Autopia.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Ducksketeer

^^^^

Good point made here. Doesn't much of the Autopia exist above the Submarine Voyage show building?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    ^^^^

Good point made here. Doesn't much of the Autopia exist above the Submarine Voyage show building?
    Yes. And the Submarine Voyage show building cannot support much weight, unless extremely significant (and extremely expensive) infrastructure improvements are made.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Yes. And the Submarine Voyage show building cannot support much weight, unless extremely significant (and extremely expensive) infrastructure improvements are made.
    Thanks. Then I suppose that is the logical answer to the limitations on that area of real estate. Any other building in that area would require a foundation going down into actual ground.

I think it is also logical to assume that unless a new Peoplemover or similar transportation ride is created, they would not want to delete the Autopia. One idea might be a ride that incorporates driverless technology. In the future we will program our "cars" to go to a destination and we will pilot them only until such point as they are then joined together in a 'train of of cars' traveling along other routes like freeways. But they will be linked together to run at the same speed in order to save on energy, accidents, and manage congestion--- until a point where the driver initiates an exit and then retakes control over the direction, speed and other controls.

This technology is already in the works.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Doubt it, the Autopia is not going to be removed ever.
    That's becuse it's the best Highway of the Future bumper car ride ever!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Well when we signed our new contract back in march the company guaranteed nothing was gonna happen to inno for at least three years so they'd have to pay a bunch of people for three years either way. true a wait and see point of view would be prudent but honestly this "rumor" has been floating around for some time. My guess would be we would see a revamp of the backlot before a refurb of tomorrowland.

• Minion

i say update it by having it trackless.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

Only a small portion of the track is above the sub building. It is basically the portion that used to be the original tomorrow land Autopia and it runs north to south on the east side of property

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    i say update it by having it trackless.
    Didn't it used to be trackless back when it first opened?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  184.2 KB
    I have attached a blueprint of tomorrowland showing the original Autopia tracks and submarine tracks. Note: I highlighted the submarine track. Notice how the Autopia track only has small portions of it going over the submarine.

If they wanted to expand tomorrow land and still keep the Autopia ride they could just eliminate most of the original tomorrow land Autopia track as well as the load area and combine it with the invention plot to create a huge piece of land

the only thing in the way would be the rocket rod track which would be removed and the train station which would require some changes.

Autopia queue could be relocated to its original Fantasyland side.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  160.8 KB

On an unrelated note, I think WDI/TDA should consider making the monorail track shorter to help open up space for development. I wonder if it would be possible to remove the inner spaghetti loop of the monorail by changing a couple beams. I have marked the blueprints above.

on the return track instead of having it turn left over tomorrow land I think maybe they can change a few beams and have the monorail continue north ( marked in yellow) and do its final loop around the outer edge of the area. This would open up the large motorboat cruise area for development without height restrictions. Of course the rocket rod track would be eliminated.

now if they plan on saving the track for something they could always cut it short and add a sharp turn as well marked in purple

• Ducksketeer

^^^

Makes good sense. I just wonder at which point DL will feel an overwhelming need to expand into this area? After spending over a billion on DCA, I would think they would want to recoup some of that capital investment for awhile first.

I personally feel that overcrowding the tomorrowland area has the drawback of in effect making the park feel smaller. By allowing some open space, as with the rivers of America, and the area of Autopia; there is some aesthetic benefit induced by that open feeling. I haven't bothered with the Autopia for years, but in one way it was a place you feel at least independent from the crowds for a few minutes. Controlling your own car, away from the crush in Fantasyland or the lines of the other rides.

•   
    • Minion

With the Iron Man exhibit, they seem to have hit on something with Innoventions. The attraction is busier than it's been in - well, forever - proving that if the content is interesting, the crowds will show up. Perhaps instead of scrapping Innoventions completely, they could continue to use it for rotating exhibitions. The key is finding something that will draw in the crowds - but hey, the Wolverine movie is coming up. They could do something with Star Wars props or costumes (and that might be the way to incorporate Marvel or more SW into Tomorrowland appropriately). They have a good amount of space there for exhibitions, if they choose to use it wisely.

As for Autopia, part of me is really surprised that they haven't converted the cars to electric fuel or something else already. That would look good for Disney on all counts: it would promote "green living," it would save the CMs and guests from inhaling gasoline fumes, and it might be able to attract a good sponsor who wants to get a reputation as an eco-friendly company. Prius could use it as a way to convince people to buy hybrid cars or something.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast