Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

You guys think they should put the train in Big ThunderRanch or off the trail for looks, obviously they should remove the logo to avoid being tacky

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    ...Unless it grows Cars-like merch legs, I'd be VERY surprised if the movie's more than a "Coming Soon on Disney Blu-Ray and DVD special edition!" blip by September.

I don't think it's possible for the movie to be a big enough hit to get long term face characters in the park just for that reason. As noted above, it *IS* PG-13, and if there's no major merch frenzy to fuel sales, I just don't think Disney's going to bother casting and paying actors to portray them for any longer than the time the movie's hot in the public mind.
    This.

Somehow, I just don't see the youth of America clamoring for Tonto bird-hats.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-03-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This.

Somehow, I just don't see the youth of American clamoring for Tonto bird-hats.
    Even if it came with a bag of crushed corn bits?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Even if it came with a bag of crushed corn bits?
    I don't know why, but this just gave me the most beautiful image of a crowd of toddlers running screaming from the incoming flock of Disney Ravens attacking from the roof of Soarin'.

*sniff* it's a beautiful picture. Thank you.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not that I want either in the park, but Oz about as Disney as the Lone Ranger is.
    What I meant was, if I recall correctly, Oz is a prequel to an established film by MGM. Or at least that's what I thought. I'm not sure. But The Lone Ranger is having a fresh start, a clean slate with Disney,and in my mind I feel like that makes it a little more Disney than Oz.

anywho, wasn't the first PotC PG-13? It still sells merch. Maybe it's not a fair comparison since its all anchored on the pre-existing ride.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    What I meant was, if I recall correctly, Oz is a prequel to an established film by MGM. Or at least that's what I thought. I'm not sure. But The Lone Ranger is having a fresh start, a clean slate with Disney,and in my mind I feel like that makes it a little more Disney than Oz.

anywho, wasn't the first PotC PG-13? It still sells merch. Maybe it's not a fair comparison since its all anchored on the pre-existing ride.
    OZ is also a Pre-prequel to the Disney movie Return to Oz.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Nobody is clamoring for the Tonto hats now but just wait... it'll be worth the most because nobody wanted them, they never made it again, and becomes one of those Disney treasures that nobody has but somehow wants for how crazy it is.

But back to Lone Ranger in the parks,
    I have to wonder what difference would have made if DCA had the Lone Ranger special preview playing in Muppet Vision theater like it did with Oz, Tron Legacy, etc.

And Pirates was PG-13... all four of them and they did have Jack Sparrow running about. If Disney wanted to, they could have totally had an occasional Lone Ranger stunt show in Frontierland interact with guests. Not like they need to build a huge new character. Just hire some stuntmen and raise more awareness about the character.

Pirates was a dead genre and it was raised. Cowboys and Indians is another dead genre... perhaps it will stay dead.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not sure that Cowboys and Indians is a dead genre. Seems that there have been quite a few westerns made over the recent years.

I'd heard that it was Blazing Saddles that killed the western as being a major genre in Hollywood, and that it wasn't until the late 80s or early 90s that it came back significantly.

"Oz the Great and Powerful" is, according to the legal departments of MGM and Disney, *not* an official prequel to MGM's "The Wizard of Oz" regardless of how close the visual style of both is (but, you know, *wink* *wink*).

Disney's "Return to Oz," despite its starkly different visual style, *is* a sequel to the MGM film owing to its licensing of the ruby red slippers from MGM (they're silver in the book) and no legal department raising any particular stink about denying it.

By the time of Blazing Saddles westerns were few and far between on television and the movies so there wasn't much to kill.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Not sure that Cowboys and Indians is a dead genre. Seems that there have been quite a few westerns made over the recent years.

I'd heard that it was Blazing Saddles that killed the western as being a major genre in Hollywood, and that it wasn't until the late 80s or early 90s that it came back significantly.
    Heaven's Gate.

No, seriously - you want the movie that put the stake in that genre (and also nearly killed that particular era of "blockbusters"), go no further.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Even though only one of my youth will be seeing the film with us they are all on me to get the Tonto hat and the Lone Ranger one as well. We have also acquired several of the lego sets from the movie over the couple of months. So from our perspective it is a huge hit. My youngest has been dressing up as the Lone Ranger almost daily lately complete with gun fights. I am thrilled to see this franchise back. In fact as I write this they are fighting over who gets to be the Lone Ranger and Toronto. My boys would be in awe to see them in the parks, probably more than any other character they have ever met.
    Last edited by buzzgirl; 07-05-2013 at 11:53 AM.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    OZ is also a Pre-prequel to the Disney movie Return to Oz.
    Who told you that untruth?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This.

Somehow, I just don't see the youth of America clamoring for Tonto bird-hats.
    Actually, when Silver made an appearance at my local theater, a couple weeks ago, a little boy or girl about 8 or 9 (couldn't t tell becausese of the makeup). Was dressed up as Johnny Depp's Tonto complete with dead bird. And this bird was not the one being sold at the disney stores.

• The doctor is in

Well if they were debating on putting The Lone Ranger in the parks I sure hope they held off on final signatures until the box office numbers came out. The movie didn't even make $10 million on opening day. Despicable Me 2 made over $34 million. Lone Ranger is only predicted to make less than 25% of the film's budget by the end of the weekend.

So much for Big Thunder Mountain featuring Tonto.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Heavy Breather

A Tonto meet and greet would be a very, very controversial move. That being said I knew straight from the beginning that this film was going to tank. I kept calling it "Pirates of the Western Front". I have a fear that Johnny Depp is going to have a difficult time getting out of his Jack Sparrow rut, and he'll be typecast until something new and fresh. The chances of something Lone Ranger related going into the parks isn't impossible. If the box office return is enough to warrant an attraction then I'm sure something could happen. Though the chances of that are very slim.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast