Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Well if they were debating on putting The Lone Ranger in the parks I sure hope they held off on final signatures until the box office numbers came out.
    There were elements of "The Island at the Top of the World" designed into Disneyland's proposed Discoveryland so they've been doing "draw up plans and wait and see" for decades. The Hyperion airship *did* make it into DLP, though.

• Seed and Mulch

1. I hate westerns, but I thought this movie was terrific. I liked it a ton more than Man of Steel and felt like this was the best family movie of the year so far. I find it hard to believe that anyone who was a fan of the Pirates films wouldn't like this movie;

2. SPOILER OF OMISSION: I was really surprised Disney didn't take the opportunity to squeeze the name "Big Thunder Mountain" somewhere into the film. The entire back half of the film is about a runaway train! How do you not try and incorporate Thunder Mountain somewhere into the movie? I thought the tunnel through the mountain, or the bridge, or something was going to incorporate the name; and

3. I think word of mouth on the film is going to be very good, particularly when it gets to DVD. And that word of mouth will result in a sequel (with a much, much smaller budget);

4. Disney should fire whoever was in charge of the marketing for this film. How do you market a Lone Ranger film and not put the William Tell Overture in the trailers?

• Seeker of Fun

Just a thought here, did Pirates take off right at the start? At first, I wasn't a big fan of the movies and in fact couldn't make it through one of them. I will admit that they grew on me though to the point of really enjoying them. Could this happen with the Lone Ranger?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    2. SPOILER OF OMISSION: I was really surprised Disney didn't take the opportunity to squeeze the name "Big Thunder Mountain" somewhere into the film. The entire back half of the film is about a runaway train! How do you not try and incorporate Thunder Mountain somewhere into the movie? I thought the tunnel through the mountain, or the bridge, or something was going to incorporate the name;
    Disney has a HUGE disconnect between the parks and studio. It's like neither even knows about the other.

Just as when they added Jack Sparrow in the attraction, they failed to put him in the KEY scene the film pulled from the attraction: the jail scene where the inmates are trying to get the keys from the dog. They SHOULD have put Jack in the next cell, when he tells them (from the movie) "you'll never get the keys from that dog". Missing that opportunity was just idiotic.

If you know the backstory of btmrr, it was mentioned in the movie.

We saw it on the third. Way too long for me. Only bright spot was William fichtner as butch. He did a good job playing a villain.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Just as when they added Jack Sparrow in the attraction, they failed to put him in the KEY scene the film pulled from the attraction: the jail scene where the inmates are trying to get the keys from the dog. They SHOULD have put Jack in the next cell, when he tells them (from the movie) "you'll never get the keys from that dog". Missing that opportunity was just idiotic.
    Putting him on the ride at all was idiotic.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Minion

2. SPOILER OF OMISSION: I was really surprised Disney didn't take the opportunity to squeeze the name "Big Thunder Mountain" somewhere into the film. The entire back half of the film is about a runaway train!
    Do they own the rights to LR? If not, and they're simply licensing them, there may be restrictions on their use, or they don't want to mingle their IP into someone else's IP.

Also, the BTMRR TV pilot was probably knocking around for quite some time in development at the same time as LR so they already had another use for it. But now I see that the pilot was rejected:
    10 shocking pilot season rejects | Inside TV | EW.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Do they own the rights to LR? If not, and they're simply licensing them, there may be restrictions on their use, or they don't want to mingle their IP into someone else's IP.

According to Wikipedia, Jack Wrather and the Wrather Corp. purchased the complete rights to the LR character. Disney purchased just about all of the assets of the Wrather Corp in 1989 when it bought the Disneyland Hotel from Wrather, so I would assume that Disney acquired the rights to the character at that time.

On a side note, Wrather was the guy who sued LR actor Clayton Moore from wearing the mask at public appearances back in 1980. This was done because Wrather was producing a LR feature length movie that was released in 1981. The lawsuit resulted in much negative publicity for Wrather and the movie flopped.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Everyone predicted a bomb for Pirates of the Caribbean when it was announced but it surprised everyone. Lone Ranger... has great elements but unfortunately the writers felt like they owed the audience some over-elaborate back-story and thus, made the movie 2 and a half hours long and a whole lot darker than it should have been. The finale act is indeed a lot of fun and it's what the rest of the movie should have felt like.

This movie could be trimmed down into something decently enjoyable.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

An Armie Hammer look-a-like in the parks.....heck yeah. ;-)
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Minion

I hope not - I thought it was a terrible movie.

• Disneyland PAP

Wow, like Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel before it, The Lone Ranger earns extremes of "love it" or "hate it" posts around the internet. I mostly loved it, and that's from a guy that thought the trailers painted a film with too much inane humor and CG excess and who also drank the kool-aid the critics were ladling out. I walked in curious to see how bad a Verbanski-Depp could truly be, but after getting over the fact this wasn't gonna be The Lone Ranger I grew up with, I simply couldn't help enjoying the humor and then the finale. I was really surprised at myself. But I also noticed there were a lot of older folks, 35 and older on average, in the theatre with me. It's not gonna make a ton of money without the children and young adult crowd giving it a shot.

4. Disney should fire whoever was in charge of the marketing for this film. How do you market a Lone Ranger film and not put the William Tell Overture in the trailers?
    I respectfully disagree. IMO you blast the William Tell Overture all over the trailers and you're most surely targeting just the older, nostalgic crowd. The Lone Ranger hasn't been around kids for the past two generations, so the vast majority won't know let alone value the connection of the WTO with TLR. You and I, on the other hand, feel they go hand in hand. After seeing the film, I love how the music was used in the film, especially of course in the finale. And for the far and few between kiddies who did see the movie, they'll now appreciate the WTO in the proper, thrilling context. Can't wait to buy the soundtrack on CD from Intrada at the end of the month.

And finally back OT, if this movie had done well enough for Disney to further promote the characters at Disneyland, I'm not at all sure how they could give The Lone Ranger and Tonto their due in such a confining space as Disneyland's Frontierland, especially as they'd ideally need to arrive on horseback. To be honest, I hadn't gone through reading all the posts in this thread yet, so perhaps there are suggestions that overcome the challenge I see. But at this point, considering the poor box office, it's probably a moot point.

• Evil is Sexy

It's 2 and a half hours long? Thank goodness, something that might be worth spending money on a theatre ticket. I loathe going to a movie, spending $12 each and only getting 90 minutes or less of entertainment value. Bring on more long movies!!!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Seed and Mulch

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I respectfully disagree. IMO you blast the William Tell Overture all over the trailers and you're most surely targeting just the older, nostalgic crowd. The Lone Ranger hasn't been around kids for the past two generations, so the vast majority won't know let alone value the connection of the WTO with TLR. You and I, on the other hand, feel they go hand in hand. After seeing the film, I love how the music was used in the film, especially of course in the finale. And for the far and few between kiddies who did see the movie, they'll now appreciate the WTO in the proper, thrilling context. Can't wait to buy the soundtrack on CD from Intrada at the end of the month.
    This guy on YouTube recut the Disney trailers and added the William Tell Overture and it seems like a night vs. day improvement on what Disney's been putting on TV for the past 3 months.

LINK

It's not just recognizable (or unrecognizable, as you point out that kids would not find it familiar), but it's also exciting. This trailer makes the film seem exciting (which is a hard sell for westerns in 2013). The Disney trailers, imho, sold "This is everything you had in the Pirates movies ... except far less exciting."

• Minion

I actually liked the film. Having said that. It can still work in the park as well if they wanted to use the theme in FL. There is no reason the Lone Ranger can't have an attraction with a good story. I really want the train to be in the park somehow I think it looked awesome when it was in DCA for the premiere.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast