Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    This guy on YouTube recut the Disney trailers and added the William Tell Overture and it seems like a night vs. day improvement on what Disney's been putting on TV for the past 3 months.

LINK

It's not just recognizable (or unrecognizable, as you point out that kids would not find it familiar), but it's also exciting. This trailer makes the film seem exciting (which is a hard sell for westerns in 2013). The Disney trailers, imho, sold "This is everything you had in the Pirates movies ... except far less exciting."
    Thanks for that link. I'll admit, it was pretty thrilling to hear the WTO play in that re-edit. Just as thrilling as it was when it played in the film all two or three times with it finally playing all the way through to its brilliant end in the finale. And I think I actually appreciate the surprise of hearing in the film than full-on knowing it was gonna be in it.

But having seen the re-edit, I'll concede that including the music would've been enjoyable too. Now, would I include the entire theme? I'm not as sure about that. I enjoy subtlety, so I don't see why a brief excerpt or even a hint of it would've been just enough to serve as a tease that the film's exciting and that the film appeal to old Lone Ranger fans. I'm afraid playing the whole thing out would end up being overkill.

Having seen the movie tho', I sense that TPTB (either Disney or Verbanski) wanted to keep the WTO a surprise to give its reveal the highest impact to the movie. At least I enjoyed the surprise. It's still hard to say whether or not having the theme in the trailers would've helped. The reviewers have been merciless in attacking this film. They saw a different movie than I did.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post

By the time of Blazing Saddles westerns were few and far between on television and the movies so there wasn't much to kill.

Little House on the Prairie effectively killed TV westerns. Watching Little Joe cry every darn week was more than the genre could bear.

I'm kidding of course....

or am I?

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm one of what seems to be many people who actually liked the movie. Yes, there were some understandable reasons for disliking it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even if it was longer than it should have been.

Even though it would never happen, it would be cool if they made a Knott's Mystery Lodge-type attraction set inside a little western museum, kind of like the one seen in the film. Old Tonto would come to life and spin some tall tale or something with jaw-dropping special effects and whatnot. It will never happen though.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    Little House on the Prairie effectively killed TV westerns. Watching Little Joe cry every darn week was more than the genre could bear.
    I'm kidding of course....
    or am I?
    Come to think of it, I once pointed out on some forum or other that until the 70s the western theme at Knott's was hot stuff but they really were forced to move away from it to stay current (i.e., the new thrill rides) but, related to this thread, Disneyland once had *much* more western-themed attractions including an Indian show and stagecoach. LR would probably be a hard sell in the current Disney park(s) because they probably already have as much "western" as they want or that the market can bear.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Someone wanted William Tell Overture in the marketing of Lone Ranger? Well... here you officially go...

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Now that's a trailer that sells 'this movie is fun' and does it with just a tease. That should have been in theaters beforehand.

I've got problems with the film well beyond how it was promoted (CASTING!), but that would have gotten more butts in seats I have to assume.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Now that's a trailer that sells 'this movie is fun' and does it with just a tease. That should have been in theaters beforehand.

I've got problems with the film well beyond how it was promoted (CASTING!), but that would have gotten more butts in seats I have to assume.
    Agreed 100%

The trailer I saw lead me to believe that it was a Johnny Depp movie. Actually, more like another Jack Sparrow movie. If I had saw a trailer that focused more on the action as well as The Ranger I might have been more likely to see the film. The trailer I saw was uninspired and boring. Plus it gave me the impression that it was a re-tooled POTC. Same old, same old.

Back on topic..... The film will do poorly at the box office. Probably much better on the home market. For this reason alone I don't see the character having a place in DisneyLand. I think Disney is probably pretty embarrassed with the film at the moment.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Agreed 100%

The trailer I saw lead me to believe that it was a Johnny Depp movie. Actually, more like another Jack Sparrow movie. If I had saw a trailer that focused more on the action as well as The Ranger I might have been more likely to see the film. The trailer I saw was uninspired and boring. Plus it gave me the impression that it was a re-tooled POTC. Same old, same old.

Back on topic..... The film will do poorly at the box office. Probably much better on the home market. For this reason alone I don't see the character having a place in DisneyLand. I think Disney is probably pretty embarrassed with the film at the moment.
    The movie's problem was not the trailer. The issues as I saw it was:

50% of Depp's dialog (the over-the-over-the-top portion) should have been eliminated.

The 1933 Tonto story telling (to flashback) should have been skipped.

The Lone Ranger's evolvement into the strong heroic character should have occurred WAY before the end of the film (probably closer to half way). The same problem was an issue with Oscar Diggs in Oz, the Great and Powerful.

They should have TOTALLY SKIPPED dragging the Lone Ranger through the fresh horse poop. That was just juvenile, and totally unnecessary. Absolutely no need to delve into that adolescent crap.

The train chase in the end was just another over-the-top PotC/Indiana Jones (mine car) ripoff.

The film COULD have been a good action adventure if it had been condensed into it's core essence, with a stronger Lone Ranger and the humor tightened up. That would have also probably cut the film's length down to a manageable 90 minutes or so.

• Banned User

Disney is stupid. If they advertised like they did in that commercial the movie would have done well.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The movie's problem was not the trailer.

Seeing as the trailer is what kept me from being excited to see the movie in the first place, I would definitely call that a problem. All the reasons listed by you are things that happened during the movie. You know, after they already got your money. The trailer didn't inspire me to spend my money on seeing the film. I know of several others that felt the same way.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Well, I saw the film today, and I seriously don't get any of the negative fuss I'm hearing. Here, or elsewhere. I was pleasantly surprised at how well done it actually was. I became turned off by Bruckheimer's style, early, with "Armageddon." Cheesy. Jive. "it's going to blow, it's going to blow". The first PotC film .. sort of got on my nerves .. by the third one, it grew on me. And while I'm no fan of westerns .. I'm a built-in fan for Disney films, and had every intention of seeing Lone Ranger.

It was a packed theater. Surprised when some people applauded at the end. People next to me with an immediate sound of joy - "That was really good!" And where I live, people here aren't "big movie" people. So, the rousing enthusiasm was surprising.

I have no complaints on the film. And I can be a huge critic! Very well done. While I hate franchises being driven into Disneyland like mad, especially with a saturation on cartoons which I hate the most - I wonder what they could do - if they pushed for a new Frontierland E Ticket, with a "Lone Ranger" theme, and well done, of course. I was that impressed with the film!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

The movie was a disaster. It was just all over the place, didn't know what it wanted to be... a gritty action movie, a comedy, what? The two leads at times seemed to be almost doing a parody of the characters. An intense gritty scene of cannibalism followed 2 minutes later by magic horse.

And of course no one could have ever predicted that the true bad guy was the greedy capitalist....ironic coming from Disney.... ;-)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Let's not get into spoilers here please. We're just talking about Lone Ranger in the parks. Thoughts on the film are welcome as it does pertain to the conversation of Lone Ranger and its rights to be in the park or not.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Someone wanted William Tell Overture in the marketing of Lone Ranger? Well... here you officially go...
    See? Now that trailer is 100x better than the ones pre-release. It's a shame they blew it with the marketing.

• Tourist

An article in "The Hollywood Reporter" said industry analysts predict a $150 million loss for the Lone Ranger movie. Some even predict a loss closer to $190 million.

It those predictions are accurate, we are as likely to see John Carter in the parks as we are the Lone Ranger.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast