Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question Lone Ranger in the parks?

As I can't help but notice that Disney is trying to make The Lone Ranger into its next PotC, I was wondering what were the chances of seeing the Lone Ranger and Tonto make appearances like Captain Jack, Angelica (wherever she has gone), ant etc? I know the last slew of live action movies didnt have character counterparts but I think they were for the following reasons: AiW characters would have been inconsistent with existing characters. No indoor Area where Tron would fit. Oz didnt have that iconic of a look(and isn't really Disney's per-say). So what about the Lone Ranger. He seems like a perfect fit for Frontierland.

• New Mommy

Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

If the audience agrees with the critics, The Lone Ranger will be a lone film with no permanent representation in the parks.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

I saw it tonight, thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but it wasn't bad. The story is decent and I thought the humor made it work. Probably won't be popular enough to become a major franchise, but I don't expect it to be a flop either. I don't think we'll see the characters in the parks much just because I think they tend to focus the face characters on kids films and this is PG13.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• No Disassemble!

I just got back from watching it too. Currently on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 25% with about 80 critics reporting in and boy are they being ruthless citing everything from tonal clashes to it just being another "Jack Sparrow" movie. Personally I thought the movie was great fun, so much fun in fact that I didn't once have a critical thought in my head about it. I guess I was too busy being blown away by all the over the top action.

That being said Disney has the cash and the talent right now to push for a sequel despite the less than rave reviews from the critics. As for an appearance in the parks? Well, in my mind there is only one attraction exciting (and western) enough for a "Depp-utizing" overlay and that's the beloved Thunder Mountain Railroad.

If they absolutely must capitalize on the franchise and put it in Disneyland then I hope the extent of it is just some new show at the Golden Horseshoe.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I just got back from watching it too. Currently on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 25% with about 80 critics reporting in and boy are they being ruthless citing everything from tonal clashes to it just being another "Jack Sparrow" movie. Personally I thought the movie was great fun, so much fun in fact that I didn't once have a critical thought in my head about it. I guess I was too busy being blown away by all the over the top action.

That being said Disney has the cash and the talent right now to push for a sequel despite the less than rave reviews from the critics. As for an appearance in the parks? Well, in my mind there is only one attraction exciting (and western) enough for a "Depp-utizing" overlay and that's the beloved Thunder Mountain Railroad.

If they absolutely must capitalize on the franchise and put it in Disneyland then I hope the extent of it is just some new show at the Golden Horseshoe.
    I was just thinking as a Meet & Greet. But he would be perfect for a stunt show similar to what Zorro had

• Not the Fallen

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    I was just thinking as a Meet & Greet. But he would be perfect for a stunt show similar to what Zorro had
    That would be neat!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    If the audience agrees with the critics, The Lone Ranger will be a lone film with no permanent representation in the parks.
    Yeah, it could be the next John Carter.

It's still expected to get 70 mil this weekend, probably will be #2. Issue will be overseas markets. Disney will be lucky to get it's $250 mil production costs back. It'll break the $100mil "hit", but when it costs $250 mil to make...

Won't be a John Carter, but it won't be a home run fiscal-wise.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    It's still expected to get 70 mil this weekend, probably will be #2. Issue will be overseas markets. Disney will be lucky to get it's $250 mil production costs back. It'll break the $100mil "hit", but when it costs $250 mil to make...

Won't be a John Carter, but it won't be a home run fiscal-wise.
    Yep. And it's not just the quarter-billion dollar production costs -- add marketing and distribution, subtract the exhibitors' take, and this overwrought oater will need more legs than Silver to gallop to profitability.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm surprised they didn't haul the big train into Big Thunder Jamboree area. It fits the theme and would be a perfect spot for "limited time magic" meet and greet.

DatelineDisney twitter and instagram posted a Frontierland newspaper with Lone Ranger news..... and there's a ton of great merchandise in Pioneer Mercantile. Get it while you can, you might not get another chance at it. Unless it goes into a discount bin.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disney fan

I like John Carter. If there's nothing else to watch on cable I'll watch it to the end. But, I watched it with no baggage or expectations. The Lone Ranger was my childhood. I watched it daily. But even then I knew it was just an oater of a serial. This new film looks like it could exceed my expectations.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Yeah, it could be the next John Carter.
    John Carter failed because it wasn't marketed properly and as a result nobody went to see it. A lot of people initially will see The Lone Ranger because it's a movie that attracts audiences just by it's reputation. Success of the film will be based on how the word of mouth reception will be.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Singing Drinker

Call me crazy if you must, but I think the appearance of characters will be more or less completely based on merch.

If the movie does well, there will probably be a face character or two (Tonto might be problematic, who knows), but I don't think it'll be for more than the summer. Unless it grows Cars-like merch legs, I'd be VERY surprised if the movie's more than a "Coming Soon on Disney Blu-Ray and DVD special edition!" blip by September.

I don't think it's possible for the movie to be a big enough hit to get long term face characters in the park just for that reason. As noted above, it *IS* PG-13, and if there's no major merch frenzy to fuel sales, I just don't think Disney's going to bother casting and paying actors to portray them for any longer than the time the movie's hot in the public mind.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Banned User

And what a brilliant strategy it is to release a very anti-American, ant-military, anti-white person movie on 4th of July weekend.
    Just genious!! I guess they thought if it worked for Avatar.......

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    Oz didnt have that iconic of a look(and isn't really Disney's per-say).
    Not that I want either in the park, but Oz about as Disney as the Lone Ranger is.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast