Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why hasn't Bob Iger added a new E-ticket ride to Disneyland during his tenure as

Quote Originally Posted by xceemora View Post
    When Michael Eisner was n office i remember disneyland would always have new parades of there new disney movies or at least a pre parade of the new disney movies. Now when bob iger took over there have been less movies parades n pre parade.
    I remember this, too! I also remember seeing more characters walking around than now, a different energy at the parks and a little more creativity. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the parks today, but it is just...different.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    My belief is that the Accountaneering columns are a good source for the cause. They had a need for major reinvestment (DCA) and did what needed to be done.

Back when the plans were still being chewed over there was a lot of speculation that they were clearing the decks of all Disneyland projects in favor of the emergency project across the Esplanade. The revitalization worked, and now I'm guessing that the focus is shifting towards two complimentary issues - working with Disneyland to tweak and revitalize and up the park's ride capacity paired with the goal of blunting the major thrust rolling in up the freeway at USH (and to a degree Knott's).

I would imagine that there are likely huge things in the offing... if you'll remember, back when the FL complex was looking at blue sky projects like Myst Island and were still digesting the pre-WWOHP Uni complex, there were a ton of VERY enticing and big ticket items on the block. They got modified, built, or dropped based on the on-the-ground results of the other additions in the area combined with the basic operational needs of the park.

It's dry, it's ugly number moments aplenty, but I very strongly believe it's what is going to rule this situation. I *suspect* that there will be a big e-ticket announce next season to blunt the thrust of USH's opening of the Despicable Me mini-land and attraction, and if there's a new "land" level of announce coming it's probably going to be held for use against further Harry Potter developments.

There's a war going on. A war with great big fun rides and awesome development that a park without this kind of competition would never dream of.

I LOVE the smell of churros in the morning!
    I agree. With WWOHP in the works for USH (which I'm excited about!), Disney will need to have something equally, if not more, amazing to unveil in order to compete. It never used to be that way, imo, since Disney was ALWAYS the frontrunner... However, with ticket prices alienating many (or just turning people off), they will really have to have something truly remarkable up their sleeve.

I also want to agree with those that said that Disney has lost their ability to take a creative risk. Unfortunately, it's happening everywhere - Hollywood, Broadway, etc. Basing something off of a surefire "hit" (whether a book, movie, etc) is easier than taking a gamble at a new product/story/idea. It's really a shame. Walt was BRILLIANT at doing just that: taking an idea and running with it. We wouldn't have the parks if it weren't for that. But I look at my favorite ride, PoC, and it wasn't based on an existing franchise/story - it was an ORIGINAL idea. I just wish they would take more risks like that...
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Closed Account

Re: Why hasn't Bob Iger added a new E-ticket ride to Disneyland during his tenure as

If you want to get REALLY specific, after Nunis retired, neither coast ever smiled again. Nunis was the last Walt stronghold.

• Banned User

Iger has been instrumental in propelling Disneyland into a new and bright future. Rather than neglect Disneyís home park, Iger has helped direct and shape the Anaheim property/resort. While a lot of the direct recognition should go to Disneylandís leaders and cast members, Iger was a driving force to put Disney (the entire company, not just parks) back on top by shaping the vision of Disney.

We saw a complete overhaul of Disneyland, giving attention to maintenance and beautification projects, unparalleled to what we saw under Eisner. We now have regular maintenance and refurbishments of attractions, vendor carts, stores, restaurants and even thematic elements around the parks. Entertainment offerings are at an all time high, many of which are new or at least updated; one example is Fantasmic! which thanks to the many updates is still impressive in 2013! We seen unused buildings and space reworked and utilized giving us highly detailed quality restaurants, themed food carts, shops and character meet and greets, greatly increasing the overall usefulness of the parks limited space.

While we havenít seen a brand new attraction, many have been updated and plussed (all of which have been immensely popular despite a small number who stand against those changes). We saw the revival of a disneyland legend with the Subs which was incredibly well done, bringing an outdated ride with one of the lowest capacities into the realm of relevant, packing in riders young and old. Almost every E-ticket saw substantial updates and maintenance. Rivers of America was given a complete facelift, bring small details to the dark ignored corners of the park, even paying homage to an attraction/film show forgotten by most. The Tiki Room was completely renovated to near perfection. Sleeping Beautyís Castle was reopened with a reimagined walkthrough. Several Fantasyland rides were updated and refurbished; including the ever controversial Itís a Small World update. We seen the addition of several meet and greet areas that are by far superior detailed areas, showing respect for their surrounding areas while truly immersing guests in one of a kind experiences. Lincoln was completely redone, and it is brilliant to behold. Star Tours was reimagined bringing a new generation of Star Wars fans into the version that they grew up with.

DCA really speaks for itself, with new fully immersive experiences, from attractions to atmosphere.

While Disneyland hasnít seen a new E-Ticket attractions it certainly has gotten more attention than in itís heyday. And with the entire resort firing on all cylinders itís only a matter of time before see the addition of a new fully-fledged E-ticket. Consideration also has to be given to the space available and the logistics of constructing a large project in the incredibly small park. Itís not something that can manifest itís self within a year or two without massive planning.

With all that said I think itís unfair to paint a man whoís brought nothing but good to Disney as a negative. His achievements as CEO are highly respectable and are clear from the support heís gathered, from Pixar and itís helmsmen, to the only Disney truly left involved, Roy. As a businessman Iger has pursued the best and most profitable course for the Mouse House, a job which he was hired to do. I note this because Iger has shown unprecedented care for the Disney brand despite his position. I for one will be greatly saddened when his time as CEO is over and I hope that his successor is as successful and shows an equal amount of respect and love for the name of Disney.

Peace out

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    If you want to get REALLY specific, after Nunis retired, neither coast ever smiled again. Nunis was the last Walt stronghold.
    That was pretty much the point at which WED (WED, Imagineering) lost control of the parks. Previous to that, Park management was pretty much just that: they just managed the parks, they didn't own them. Everything that went into the parks was decided by WED.

Now, park management owns the parks and dictates what they want to spend money on as far as attractions are concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12