• Sock Puppet

Fireworks 7/2/13

I was visiting the parks yesterday with my little niece and nephew, it was a great day not too hot it was actually overcast all day the sun never really broke through and the crowds were very managable all day. The big thing my two little ones were really excited about were the fourth of July fireworks that Disney is running all week long(thank god I dont have to work that show anymore) at 9:10 we got a spot in front of Small World which was roped off, usually meaning theres no wind, and it was quite noticeable cause there was no breeze at all last night. So anyways the show starts and right away I'm thinking "okay the plug is being pulled on this show" because all the fallout was being blown back into the park, I was able to make this decision based on which way the smoke was blowing, but the show stop never came and soon I saw pieces of fallout landing in our general area even after the show was over a kid told his dad "look they gave us confetti" and I'm 100 percent certain it wasn't confetti. When the show ended toontown was no longer visible, Small World even was covered in smoke. Not to rant or bash anyone but I don't know who is making the decisions running the show, there was Disneyland fire department present at Small World so the thought that it went un noticed is not a possibility even a pyro crew member walked over there about halfway through, so they knew, anyways back on topic... I dont know whos making the decisions to keep the show running when you have fallout not only blowing back into the park but also showering guests, when I worked the shows that was a big no-no in Disneys book. I understand they dont control the wing direction and they dont have a weather dome, but there comes a point when safety has to be thrown into the mix. I also understand that it was a limited engagment showing and it wont be around forever. I was somewhat upset with how things were handled yesterday and I hope that next time when its being blow back into the park and over the heads of their guests that the right choice is made and that safety is considered. That fallout "confetti" does continue to burn sometimes when it lands on the ground and luckily for Disney it wasn't burning last night

• Closed Account

Re: Fireworks 7/2/13

Disney's July fireworks the week of Independence Day are HUGE! They don't cancel them unless they absolutely have to. The year that there was debris landing on Ball Road, they had to cut the show in the middle. The rest of the time they keep it going for the crowds sake. On a not as crowded day, not in a holiday week like Independence Day, they likely would have cancelled the fireworks under those conditions.

• No Disassemble!

My favorite spot is out there by IASW and a few times I've seen it raining bits of blown out firework all over that north end of the park. I'm not surprised that it was doing that on your trip since we're stuck in this weird humidity dome right now. Usually the onshore flow keeps the firework fodder at bay and when there are Santa Ana winds the fireworks are usually cancelled.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Singing Drinker

As much as I hate to point this out, the opposite - pulling fireworks displays when they could have launched them even if the smoke does hit guests - gets even more grief and vengeful complaints to Town Hall. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• No Disassemble!

Respiratory damage... it's part of the magic!!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
    • Evil Genius

Blog Entries

I love the smell of fireworks in the morning!

It's sad that it probably comes down to what will bring the least complaints!
    I prefer Evil Genius!
    www.evilgeniusguide.blogspot.com

• Selfie Expert

I'm going to venture that Disneyland would not have put guests at risk, and likely knew what they were doing.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

10,000 complaints about cancelled fireworks is a lot better then one injured guest to Disney. I'm almost sure there was no real danger to anyone.

• Sock Puppet

there most likely wasn't any REAL danger to anyone as I have worked under these circumstances before, BUT as they say all it takes is once, one time is all it takes for burning fallout to land on someone

Did you survive?
    -Wes

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Did you survive?
    Yep I sure did, but maybe next time when theres burning ash raining on people I won't be so lucky, but if it does happen again and I do pull through weather it be respitory or fire falling from the sky I'll be sure to contact you first thing sence your so worried about me

• Singing Drinker

From the other side of the holiday... all it takes is one disastrous accident - Simi Valley, 36 injured. The firm producing the show lists WDW and Uni amongst it's clients.

Disney's good about limiting the possibility of mistimed or misfiring shells landing on customers. But yeah, I've been to shows where I saw Disney shells launch, arc early, and fall... and fall... and fall... and go off remarkably low. If anyone had been in the area (which is of course why there wasn't anyone) they'd have been pretty hosed.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.