Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Does anyone else miss the old DCA?

Let me start out with this: I love the new DCA all the way. The Imagineers, Disney execs, construction workers, and so on did a great job and did everything in their power to fix it. But in the end- when I think about- I start to miss the old DCA.

I was at DCA the first month it was open. I was only a mere 5 years old and still in kindergarten, but I can still somehow remember everything so vividly. I practically GREW UP with this park. Disneyland was already a great part of my life, but DCA was something that I could enjoy from the moment it was brand new.

I remember the disappointment of being turned away from California Screamin' because of my height, but the excitement of being able to ride Mulholland Madness. I remember the awesomeness of my first experience on Soarin' and getting soaked on Grizzly and running through the Redwood Creek. I also remember going into Muppet Vision and doing it again and again. I only went into Superstar Limo once, and the best part was just seeing my face on a "billboard" (though my parents had the look of "What the heck was that?"). I remember watching Mushu interact with a person on stage, while talking about animation. As time moved on, I grew up with Flik's Fun Fair, Playhouse Disney (before it got destroyed by the Disney Channel we know today), Aladdin, began to get on Screamin' and Maliboomer, and Tower of Terror had the spot of my new favorite ride at the time. Everything was just a marvel to me in the "other Disneyland park". I became an official Disneyland fanboy around the 50th anniversary celebration, but then my eyes of the actual Disney geek world opened around the time the DCA overhaul was officially announced. I then realized that DCA would never be the same as I once knew it.

Maybe there's just some sort of nostalgic charm to it that people like me grew up with that can never be replaced. That's something that the old DCA manages to share with Disneyland, in my opinion. I made this video below last year when the new DCA reopened, and it just sums up everything perfectly.

Just One Dream - YouTube

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by DisneylandMaster; 07-03-2013 at 01:55 PM.

"Don't worry...our Disneyland ride will come soon."

• Minion

Re: Does anyone else miss the old DCA?

For the most part, nope.

I do miss the big letters and the mural, but honestly, I hated DCA 1.0. I felt we had been seriously jipped. Not anymore, though there are some areas of the park that still need help.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

DCA is great now, but its going to be FANTASTIC over the next 20 years. Can you imagine the park, with Carsland and the new entrance and just how beautiful Grizzly is, imagine it now with fantastic attractions that will take their place all over the park, adding new theming and ride experience to what is already great. It is going to be one amazing park once filled in with rides the way DL has over the years.

• a wind to shake the stars

It seems like your love for DCA 1.0 is based mostly on the nostalgia of visiting it as a young kid. And of course there's nothing wrong with that, nostalgia in one form or another is what makes Disneyland and theme parks in general so attractive to many of us. Personally I never disliked DCA 1.0 as much as everyone else did, and while there were some missteps and half-hearted attractions I enjoyed it for what it was.

That said, I think it's objectively better in nearly every way now.

• Minion

The only things I miss are the California letters, the lack of crowds, the tortilla factory, and the Electrical Parade (I never saw it in DL). Otherwise, the new additions are amazing.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    It seems like your love for DCA 1.0 is based mostly on the nostalgia of visiting it as a young kid. And of course there's nothing wrong with that, nostalgia in one form or another is what makes Disneyland and theme parks in general so attractive to many of us. Personally I never disliked DCA 1.0 as much as everyone else did, and while there were some missteps and half-hearted attractions I enjoyed it for what it was.

That said, I think it's objectively better in nearly every way now.
    Exactly my point. I do look back on it thinking, "Really? I liked that?!" but it still manages to bring good memories back.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The only things I miss are the California letters, the lack of crowds, the tortilla factory, and the Electrical Parade (I never saw it in DL).
    Miss all of these especially.

I admire your love for the nostalgia of the park, but I definitely agree with others that DCA 2.0 is MUCH better than the original.

The first time I went to DCA, my group spent half a day there and hopped over to Dland the rest of the day. Coming from Sacramento, it reminded us of what we see every year: the California State Fair. It was boring, though featured some great rides (ToT, Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly were among favorites) but it didn't have the charm that it's relative across the way has.

I just went back this weekend to see the new overall and was amazed at how much better the park looks, feels and is themed. It still has a ways to go for me to be truly pleased, but it was a HUGE improvement over the first round (and I never even saw the park when the big bombs like Superstar Limo were there!)

Disneyland still holds a special place in my heart, but I am happy to see DCA becoming a better attraction spot.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Singing Drinker

I miss the original DCA, but would never want it back. The park I enjoyed was not a park that could survive. I loved the lack of crowds and the insanely wasteful amount of money they were willing to spend on entertainment (miss ya, POBlast!). I loved sitting with one or two friends at the otherwise perpetually vacant Cove with my favorite bartender getting quietly stewed listening to Rock the Bay. I miss a lot of things that are very much not healthy for a functional family park to experience.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Just this guy......

I will remember DCA 1.0, but I will always be happy that we now have DCA 2.0 and I look forward to more improvements in the future.

• Banned User

The old DCA was a BIG disappointment. I don't miss it. The new DCA lost the country fair atmosphere. Thank goodness. It works better as a full fledged theme park with marque attractions. I no longer have to debate the Screamin' roller coaster theming as a woodie that's actually made out of steel. I thankfully CAN skip the Boudin Bakery Tour since there are so many actual rides in the park. No more seeing big Rosie face since I don't have to get a bread sampler. I can see the more pleasant Little Mermaid instead of Miss Whoopie, who is another gaff a minute in real life.

I did think the original DCA parade was too short lived. That parade was one good thing that should have lasted a bit longer. The Pixar Block Party was another good thing.

• Former Churro Jockey

I miss the short lines, being able to find a table at Taste Pilots Grill, and the overall lack of crowds. It seems like ever since the new DCA opened, the crowds in both parks just never let up. The last few times I went to either park I just gave up after an hour or so and went home because they were both so crowded.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Blew By You

I forgot who wrote this or where it was written, but someone noted that the original DCA was the "...private lounge for AP holders..." and I agreed. It was a pleasant place to be at with few people walking about. But I guess it was not the theme park of choice for many other folks.
    And no I don't miss those days.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The only things I miss are the California letters, the lack of crowds, the tortilla factory, and the Electrical Parade (I never saw it in DL). Otherwise, the new additions are amazing.
    You missed out, the MSEP was so much better on Mainstreet then it ever was in DCA. It was mostly the scale of the floats and the enclosed feel of MS. It was just much, much more dramatic there with the floats looking much bigger and the colors and lights glowing everywhere.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I miss the short lines, being able to find a table at Taste Pilots Grill, and the overall lack of crowds. It seems like ever since the new DCA opened, the crowds in both parks just never let up. The last few times I went to either park I just gave up after an hour or so and went home because they were both so crowded.
    This weekend was my first visit since the overhaul and I guess I was spoiled - very few crowds at either park and we walked on to nearly every ride (either with a fast pass or without). We even lucked out getting a SECOND fast pass (good at any time that day) for RSR because it initially broke before the park opened. The only line we waited nearly a half hour for was TSMM. That's it. Everything else was a fast pass walk on, or walked on in a short standby line...

Slightly off-topic: I still don't understand why some don't use fast passes. It dumbfounds me why folks would wait 60 minutes in a fast pass available ride! /rant
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast