Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WDW or DL...is one superior over the other?

Disney World was way too spread out. I hated how long it took to hop parks there. There were a couple of fun rides there that they don't have at Disneyland (Expedition Everest and Rock'N Roller Coaster) but I don't know that I'd really ever care to go back there.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't think those lines are longer because the rides are better than their California counterparts. 99% of the WDW guests probably don't even know there is the same counterpart in California and if they do know they probably wouldn't care about any differences. The difference in line length is probably more of a function of how the line and loading is set up, the effect of other nearby attractions (maybe it is the most popular attraction in that area), and differences in guest demographics.

In DL most lines predictably follow a bell-shape curve. Meaning that they start off quick at opening, gradually increase to a peak later in the day, and then taper off at some point later in the day. I'd heard that at WDW the length of the lines fluctuate a lot more. The lengths can change back and forth as more people have their days planned out as they do at DL, and the line lengths are much more effected by shows and parades than at DL. While the lines at WDW probably also follow a bell curve to some extent it probably isn't as smooth as what you'd experience at DL.
    I think it's also about park proximity. At WDW the attractions are spread out amongst four parks, and it's not that quick or easy to transfer between parks, due to time and distance. Each of the individual parks has less rides and attractions than Disneyland, and each usually has higher attendance than DLR. So you have more people waiting for fewer rides, which makes lines longer.

At DLR, in contrast, you have everything packed into two parks, which are a five minute walk from each other. Guests have more to choose from and don't all have to wait for the same 10 rides.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Disneyland is the ORIGINAL Magic Kingdom. Nuff said.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Disneyland. Walt walked Disneyland. Walt slept at Disneyland. Walt ate popcorn at Disneyland. Walt rode the Matterhorn with a few dignitaries at Disneyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Disneyland was built by a father for his daughters. Walt Disney World was built by a committee for the masses.
    Exactly.

While I haven't been back to WDW since I was a kid, from everything I have read, heard from friends/family and such, while WDW is fun, Disneyland has Walt's attention to detail. He walked that park every day with a fine toothed comb. He wanted the guest experience to be impeccable. He put his heart and soul into the Disneyland project and it really shows. (This is probably why Dland will always be my favorite over DCA anyday!)

I need to go back to WDW as an adult and see how I feel, but even considering which parks to choose and how far apart they all are is overwhelming!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Former Churro Jockey

I grew up with Disneyland, and I like WDW a lot and have been there 4 times. In my experience, you're going to love the park that you grew up with, so Florida locals generally think WDW is better and So Cal locals generally think that DL is better. For me nothing will ever beat Disneyland, because not only are my childhood memories there, but my first job was also there, but there are something things about WDW that I like better. I'm a big, big fan of Animal Kingdom. I know that for some reason it's popular to be down on that park here on MiceAge, but if I were listing my favorite individual parks, it would be tough, but DL would just barely beat out AK and only because of the nostalgia aspect. I love the World Showcase at Epcot. I really love staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and waking up to a herd of giraffes walking outside of my balcony. I really do NOT like the Magic Kingdom, mostly because it feels like an older version of DL (reminds me of DL circa 1985 or so) and kind of like a cheap imitation. I do like their Splash Mountain better, but other then that, I prefer the DL versions of almost all of the other rides. The Cinderella Castle is pretty amazing (and BIG!), but I like the smaller, more intimate feel of DL. On the other hand, lines and crowds at any of the WDW parks tend to be shorter, so I guess I would rather wait 45 minutes for the MK Space Mountain vs. 90 minutes for the DL Space Mountain.

So overall I prefer DL only because when I go there it feels like coming home, but parts of WDW are better and parts are worse.

• Minion

DLR is a trip, WDW is a vacation.

• Banned User

Depends on where you stay. If you stay at GCH or DLH, DL can definitely be a vacation. Best vacation I've had in a long time was a weak spent at Marriott Newport Coast Villas. Every other day at the parks and every other day at the pool, beach or hanging in Laguna. I assure you WDW has nothing to rival that, and I love my Marriott Grande Vista WDW vacations. At one point Disney was considering purchasing the property that the Marriott timeshare sits on for DVC. They made a HUGE mistake in my book.

Disneyland is like compressed magic. More pixie dust per acre.

• Minion

planodisney, DLR cant rival the beaches at Newport Coast either...because theyre completely unrelated (btw, beautiful hotel, one of my favorites in the area next to Laguna Cliffs at Dana Point by Lantern Park).

DLR has nothing to compare to the plethora of activities WDW offers. What can you do at DLR besides theme parks? Its just not a well-rounded vacation experience

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    What can you do at DLR besides theme parks? Its just not a well-rounded vacation experience
    Depends on your definition of "vacation." The "activities" at WDW do not sound like a vacation to me. Personal tastes I guess...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I love them both equally. I really don't think I could choose. On the one hand I love staying right across the street from Disneyland and just walking to the park. But then again I love staying at the Disney World hotels and spending a week plus exploring and being immersed in Disney magic.

I will say I like Pirates of the Caribbean better at Disneyland, but Splash Mountain is much better at Disney World!

• Banned User

When I go to WDW we enjoy days at the resort hotel, we spend an evening or 2 in DTD and spend every other day in the parks. We do the exact same thing at DL. Also, I can be in DLR from Newport Coast Villas or Hyatt Huntington Beach in the same amount of time I can get from some Orlando properties to WDW. Marriott Grande Vista is about 15 minutes to the parking lots, which is great, but the Hyatt and Marriott Newport are at most 10 minutes more. I've actually made it from Hyatt many times in 20. So, yes, staying at the beach for a DL vacation is extremly relevant and pretty easy. I know they do day trips to WDW from Disneys DVC on the Florida Atlantic and it takes a good hour or more to get to WDW resort.
    Your defensivness here in these last few posts pretty much confirms what I thought was your reasoning for your negative DLR critique in the initial post.
    Im saying all of this as someone who goes to both resorts, and WDW more often. With this last expansion, people here in Dallas are finally giving DLR a shot and for the first time Im having friends come back and say they prefer it.

• Minion

oh my...I've hit a nerve. Haha I havent been defensive--but youre arguing for So Cal over Orlando which is a different topic.

Theres nothing you can do at DLR that you cant do at WDW...so take that for what it is when you decide whats a more wholesome vacation destination.

• Banned User

No, Im stating facts against an emotional attachment argument you have for WDW. I'm stating a DLR vacation experience that you just can't have at WDW. The most important element of a DLR vacation that you can't have at WDW is the convenience of both parks and DTD so conveniently all together.
    WDW has many experiences you can't have at DLR. Golf, water parks, Cirque, but if you look at the numbers, the cast majority of WDW vacationers don't do those things. The majority enjoy their resort and resort pool, DTD and the parks. That is what most destination tourists do when they go to DL from Australia, Asia or anywhere off the West Coast. Like I said, I don't realy have a dog in the fight because I love both resorts and actually hit WDW more often be ause of convenience. I'm just trying to balance emotional ties, with facts.

• Minion

I mean, Im not being emotional either, theyre theme parks for Gods sake hahaha. I like DL better than any WDW park. But the OP asked about a better *vacation* destination, to which it is a fact that WDW offers more to do, and if you dont want to spend your whole trip at theme parks without driving half an hour everyday, WDW is for you. Thats all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast