Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• SORCERER

Re: WDW or DL...is one superior over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I mean, Im not being emotional either, theyre theme parks for Gods sake hahaha. I like DL better than any WDW park. But the OP asked about a better *vacation* destination, to which it is a fact that WDW offers more to do, and if you dont want to spend your whole trip at theme parks without driving half an hour everyday, WDW is for you. Thats all.
    I have to agree with this. I lived in Kissimmee, Florida (about 5 miles from Disney World.) for about 5 years and have been to Disney World Hundreds of times as a kid. We moved to New York and would Visit there as a 2 Week Vacation. every couple of years.

We moved to Vegas, and we went on Vacation to Disneyland 3 times.

The problem is we did everything over the course of 3 days in DLR. I don't consider 3 days a vacation really, thats more like a short trip. Not that I'm saying Disneyland is bad, intact i Love it, there is so much todo in such a small area.

Now we live in California and we only go there for a few hours now every couple of weeks.

I must say, having been on vacation from out of state, and lived near these areas I can tell you for sure that if you want a Vacation, and I mean you want a real vacation than I have to saw WDW is the place to go. There downtown Disney is much larger with more activities, and there is more to explore in WDW parks. Its not all about the attractions. They have such large expansive spaces that makes in your environments feel more immersive, this really shows in all there parks over there theming is top notch.

When your in WDW you don't feel like your in the middle of a city. You take the Monorail in and you feel as if you traveled to a new world "hence the name" the monorail in WDW is actually allot nicer too, its A/C, has standing room and is necessary to to the parks operations to get guests in and out quickly.

I think everyone is forgetting that WALTs intentions was to live in WDW when magic kingdom was being constructed. He was heavily involved in the planning of this park, but unfortunatly passed before it opened.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 08-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I think everyone is forgetting that WAlTs intentions was to live in WDW when magic kingdom was being constructed. He was heavily involved in the planning of this park, but unfortunatly passed before it opened.
    Walt Disney wasn't even interested in Magic Kingdom, he was interested in Epcot. Magic Kingdom had already been done, and that was Disneyland. There wasn't much planning in that. Walt had planned Epcot. It was supposed to be a city, but it ended up being a theme park (BTW, Walt had been done with theme parks after Disneyland). Magic Kingdom was built to fund Epcot. That's it. Walt Disney didn't like repeating himself.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Down Pluto!

Theres nothing you can do at DLR that you cant do at WDW...
    Matterhorn comes to mind. Also looking at the light left on in Walt's apt. over the firehouse. Then there is this little thing called DCA...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Unhelpful User

California has better weather so we win.

Saying that it's the place Walt built, walked through, lived at, ate at, I don't particularly get. It's nice to know that Walt walked through the park and got to ride those wonderful rides. But what if Walt lived to continue on with his WDW project that he dreamed of? What if he built, walked through, lived at, and ate at both theme parks, then what would be your favorite?

Disneyland might be his original dream, but WDW was another and much bigger dream. Walt was there in the beginning, he just didn't get to finish it. Others had to finish his dream for him.

However, in the end, I personally think it's ultimately what you prefer and what you have grown up with. You're going to be biased more than likely of what you grew up with and a place you share so many fond memories at. You're going to more than likely like the "first film over the sequel" so to speak as well. So, I understand those points of view of why some people prefer DL over WDW and vice versa.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    Saying that it's the place Walt built, walked through, lived at, ate at, I don't particularly get. It's nice to know that Walt walked through the park and got to ride those wonderful rides. But what if Walt lived to continue on with his WDW project that he dreamed of? What if he built, walked through, lived at, and ate at both theme parks, then what would be your favorite?

Disneyland might be his original dream, but WDW was another and much bigger dream. Walt was there in the beginning, he just didn't get to finish it. Others had to finish his dream for him.

However, in the end, I personally think it's ultimately what you prefer and what you have grown up with. You're going to be biased more than likely of what you grew up with and a place you share so many fond memories at. You're going to more than likely like the "first film over the sequel" so to speak as well. So, I understand those points of view of why some people prefer DL over WDW and vice versa.

You don't have to understand why we love the fact that Walt Disney himself had a personal hand in creating Disneyland (I'm guessing you didn't grow up in California going to Disneyland?). No other Disney park has Disneyland's title or Walt Disney's complete touch (no, not even Magic Kingdom or Epcot). We take a lot of pride in that and it's part of what makes Disneyland even more special than it already is. I don't think DL folks think about Walt Disney living to see Epcot. And I can bet the Walt factor isn't the only reason why some prefer Disneyland. Just one of the main reasons.

I don't want to offend you, but the Epcot that is here with us now isn't the Epcot Walt dreamed of, unfortunately.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Growing up, my dad had to go to work conventions in Orlando every year, so every year, we went to WDW. We'd usually just go to a park for a day - Magic Kingdom one day, Disney-MGM another (this was long before AK, when Disney-MGM was brand new) and Epcot if my parents were lucky (I hated it as a kid). We didn't stay on property as we had a timeshare about 20 minutes away. Those trips halted for some time until I was in my teens.

I visited DL as an adult, the first time I moved to SoCal. I loved it and continue to love it, especially the magic in New Orleans Square. (I'm leaving DCA out of this because I think I am one of the few people who is not moved by it at all.)

I think, as many others have said, it does matter where you've spent more of your time. There seems to be an inherent bias if you grew up with DL or WDW. However, if I still lived back in New England, having been to both, and was planning a vacation? I'd go to WDW. Yes, DL is beautiful and has things that no other WDW park has, but WDW has the added benefit of literally taking you into another world. When I am on any WDW property, I forget that I even am on planet earth; DL succeeds with this as well, but I walk out of the park and am reminded that I am in Anaheim. I leave MK and still feel like I haven't left Disney magic yet.

• SORCERER

Agreed. While it is nice to know Walt had a major part in Disneyland there is allot about Disneyland that is no where near the same as it was during his time period, Tommorowland is a mess for example.

But to the average guests looking to go on Vacation, do they really care if he did walk the park nearly 50+ years ago? Does it really make your personal vacation experience better? While history is nice (and Believe me I Love everything about Walt Disney) allot of people Goto Disneyland and Disney World to enjoy a good vacation, not because they love Walt Disney or what he did, and I believe this thread was asking what place would be best to take a vacation at.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Matterhorn comes to mind. Also looking at the light left on in Walt's apt. over the firehouse. Then there is this little thing called DCA...
    Those are all theme park attractions. Can you go on theme park attractions at WDW? Yes.

Can you ride horses, parasail, explore over 20 immersive resorts, ride a hot air balloon, go bowling, watch a stunning Cirque du Soleil performance, or golf in world class courses at DL?

I don't know, I guess I can be a little unobservant, I may have missed all these things when I was in Anaheim last.

• Minion

Not to mention, DL has been so renovated and updated over the years that very little of it was actually Walt's anymore anyway. Main Street is the only thing that has been largely untouched since his passing.

In the end wasn't Walt dissatisfied with how Disneyland turned out? Or maybe that's the wrong word, but there were definitely things he wanted to improve which is why he bought so much land in Florida. And does nobody care about Roy? I know he tended to stay in the shadows more often than not, but he was still around to oversee Disney World the way his brother would have wanted it.

Anyway, I still don't prefer one to the other, it just always shocks me how negative some people are toward one park or the other.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    In the end wasn't Walt dissatisfied with how Disneyland turned out? Or maybe that's the wrong word, but there were definitely things he wanted to improve which is why he bought so much land in Florida. And does nobody care about Roy? I know he tended to stay in the shadows more often than not, but he was still around to oversee Disney World the way his brother would have wanted it.

Anyway, I still don't prefer one to the other, it just always shocks me how negative some people are toward one park or the other.
    Walt was very satisified with Disneylans. What he was not satisfied with was how the city of Anaheim was developing around Disneyland. He didn't like all the seedy motels springing up so close to the park. That's why he built WDW. And it could be argued that this urban plight encroaching on DL and his wanting to control that was a big factor into his interest in building EPCOT.

•   
    • Minion

Those are all theme park attractions. Can you go on theme park attractions at WDW? Yes.

Can you ride horses, parasail, explore over 20 immersive resorts, ride a hot air balloon, go bowling, watch a stunning Cirque du Soleil performance, or golf in world class courses at DL?

I don't know, I guess I can be a little unobservant, I may have missed all these things when I was in Anaheim last.
    With the exception of the resorts and Cirque, you can do all of those things in Orange County, within an hour's drive of DLR (which is probably the time it would take you to move between resorts at WDW).
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

Again, youre comparing So Cal to Orlando, which is not what the OP asked.

• Banned User

So, are you saying most people ride horses and hot air balloons when they go to WDW? If you want to do those things, then WDW is your choice, no question. But, most visitors don't. Most visitors enjoy their hotel resort, DTD and the parks. For those activities, you can have an equal experience yet all of it at DLR is in one convenient location, which for my family is a plus.
    Last edited by planodisney; 07-09-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast