Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

WDW or DL...is one superior over the other?

I have some "relatives" that get on my nerves because they are forever telling us that we shouldn't bother with DLR and instead take in WDW because it is soo much better. We have our reasons for going to DL and we thoroughly have a wonderful time there but I wanted to ask all of you - do you feel that WDW is far superior to DL?? I haven't been to WDW, just DL and DLP. Thanks for your input.

• Senior Minion

Re: WDW or DL...is one superior over the other?

I would say no, but it really depends on what you're looking for. If you really enjoy the "resort" aspect of a Disney vacation then WDW has DLR beat by a mile. If you enjoy spending a lot of time in your hotel, or water parks, golf, shopping, camping there's no equivalent at DLR. If you really are a park person and go for the rides and attractions, DLR has an incredible amount of high quality attractions in a very small area and many like it better for that reason.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I don't have an opinion because I have only been to Disneyland.

• Down Pluto!

Disneyland is Walt's intimate original - WDW is an overblown copy too big for its britches.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Disneyland is superior for so many reasons. If you want the full package when it comes to resorts--which is something I don't necessarily care about--then by all means, go to WDW. But if you want parks and more bang for your buck and fewer crying children and more intimate magic and nicer CMs, I say go to DLR.

• I'm from Canada eh!

This type of topic typically ends in the litterbox, but I will not shy away from saying that I prefer the DLR over WDW.

• Seasick

They are different. Each does certain things better than the other. As has been said, the superior choice comes down to what someone wants, or can afford, when it comes to a Disney vacation.

WDW has some great resorts. You can spend a day just enjoying the grounds and amenities of Coronado Springs or Port Orleans. The WDW resorts range in price and can be affordable on just about any budget. In contrast, The Grand Californian and DLR hotels are too pricey for most people.

WDW has more to do overall, such as the water parks.

WDW's four parks don't result in an overall attraction count higher than at Disneyland, but four parks still represents more to do. Each park has it's own character.

A trip to Disneyland is generally cheaper if you stay in a nearby non-Disney hotel, but the all-encompassing all-Disney all-the-time experience is more affordable in Orlando.

WDW offers a lot of dining options. Meals in the parks and the resorts is a much bigger element of a visit than in Disneyland.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

I can't answer the original question, unfortunately.

I can't wait to take my first trip to WDW. It's going to be so fun, though I can't imagine liking it more than the DLR.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Minion

Everyone's mileage varies - and I think that WDW and DLR appeal to different audiences in some respects. As mentioned, if you want a resort vacation and a lot of different parks, WDW is your place. If you want a more intimate experience, you will love DLR more.

I'm biased, of course, but having been to all three parks, I rank them as such: DLR, DLP and WDW, in that order. I much prefer DLR to WDW, and in truth I don't care if I ever go back to WDW. I'd never pay to go there again. I find WDW to be overwhelming. I think that DLR has more to offer, and I like the vibe, the environment and the people much more out here at the original Disneyland.

Another perk of Disneyland over WDW, for me, is the surrounding area. I love my home in Southern California. If you're not from here, there's more, aside from theme parks, to do in SoCal than in Orlando IMHO. You can go down to San Diego and explore the historic heart of the city or go museum hopping. You can go up to Los Angeles and hit more amazing museums, like the Getty; explore the unique cultures of Venice Beach and Santa Monica; check out Hollywood (and not just a theme park based on Hollywood!) and more. If you want to stay in the OC there are the Angels in the summer, the Mighty Ducks in the winter, silly stuff like the OC Fair, whale watching at Dana Point, and more. In Orlando...well, aside from the theme parks and vacation-themed attractions there's never much to do.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Blew By You

Disneyland. Walt walked Disneyland. Walt slept at Disneyland. Walt ate popcorn at Disneyland. Walt rode the Matterhorn with a few dignitaries at Disneyland.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disneyland was built by a father for his daughters. Walt Disney World was built by a committee for the masses.

i agree with you completely! one thing you did forget is you cant beat the socal weather!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Everyone's mileage varies - and I think that WDW and DLR appeal to different audiences in some respects. As mentioned, if you want a resort vacation and a lot of different parks, WDW is your place. If you want a more intimate experience, you will love DLR more.

I'm biased, of course, but having been to all three parks, I rank them as such: DLR, DLP and WDW, in that order. I much prefer DLR to WDW, and in truth I don't care if I ever go back to WDW. I'd never pay to go there again. I find WDW to be overwhelming. I think that DLR has more to offer, and I like the vibe, the environment and the people much more out here at the original Disneyland.

Another perk of Disneyland over WDW, for me, is the surrounding area. I love my home in Southern California. If you're not from here, there's more, aside from theme parks, to do in SoCal than in Orlando IMHO. You can go down to San Diego and explore the historic heart of the city or go museum hopping. You can go up to Los Angeles and hit more amazing museums, like the Getty; explore the unique cultures of Venice Beach and Santa Monica; check out Hollywood (and not just a theme park based on Hollywood!) and more. If you want to stay in the OC there are the Angels in the summer, the Mighty Ducks in the winter, silly stuff like the OC Fair, whale watching at Dana Point, and more. In Orlando...well, aside from the theme parks and vacation-themed attractions there's never much to do.

I thank you all for your input. What I wanted to hear was that there is no clear winner really - but it boils down to personal preference. I like the quaint atmosphere of DL, not to mention it is a very enjoyable road trip from Calgary whereas WDW is not. I appreciate knowing that the number of attractions is the same for both places but WDW spreads them out over 4 parks. So you have more people going to WDW and getting on the same number of rides - so I presume the lines are longer? I would assume that a park-hopper pass in WDW is much more expensive due to the 4 park access??

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    I thank you all for your input. What I wanted to hear was that there is no clear winner really - but it boils down to personal preference. I like the quaint atmosphere of DL, not to mention it is a very enjoyable road trip from Calgary whereas WDW is not. I appreciate knowing that the number of attractions is the same for both places but WDW spreads them out over 4 parks. So you have more people going to WDW and getting on the same number of rides - so I presume the lines are longer? I would assume that a park-hopper pass in WDW is much more expensive due to the 4 park access??
    Lines at WDW are kind of give and take. There's more room to move around in WDW, more people eating, more people shopping, etc. so some lines aren't longer than their counterparts in Disneyland. On the other hand, some rides are plussed there, including Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, Tower of Terror, the list continues. The lines for those attractions get longer waits than ours. Park Hopper passes at WDW never made sense to me because the parks are so far apart that you're wasting precious time in transit. But they are expensive.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Lines at WDW are kind of give and take. There's more room to move around in WDW, more people eating, more people shopping, etc. so some lines aren't longer than their counterparts in Disneyland. On the other hand, some rides are plussed there, including Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, Tower of Terror, the list continues. The lines for those attractions get longer waits than ours. Park Hopper passes at WDW never made sense to me because the parks are so far apart that you're wasting precious time in transit. But they are expensive.
    I don't think those lines are longer because the rides are better than their California counterparts. 99% of the WDW guests probably don't even know there is the same counterpart in California and if they do know they probably wouldn't care about any differences. The difference in line length is probably more of a function of how the line and loading is set up, the effect of other nearby attractions (maybe it is the most popular attraction in that area), and differences in guest demographics.

In DL most lines predictably follow a bell-shape curve. Meaning that they start off quick at opening, gradually increase to a peak later in the day, and then taper off at some point later in the day. I'd heard that at WDW the length of the lines fluctuate a lot more. The lengths can change back and forth as more people have their days planned out as they do at DL, and the line lengths are much more effected by shows and parades than at DL. While the lines at WDW probably also follow a bell curve to some extent it probably isn't as smooth as what you'd experience at DL.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast