Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

I always thought that they should consider using the Holidays as a way to include the diversity of the state into the park.

Disneyland has the big Christmas season showcased as most americans see it. DCA could extend the Holiday feel and look by showcasing how the many diversities of people in CAlifornia celebrate the Christmas Holidays.

If done correctly it could be an extension to the small cultural displays/events they do in Disneyland throughout the year. these include Cinco de Mayo, three kings days, Day of the Dead, Chinese New year etc

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Disney California Adventure's permanent facilities celebrate and entertain with things that unite us as Californians, not that define our differences.

While there are various cuisines found in DCA; Italian, Asian, Central American, Greek, American, none of those are inherent to California, they are found in nearly every modern community anywhere (especially the dumbed-down theme park menu versions). Disney has also done a FANTASTIC job in the last decade of offering seasonal exhibits and entertainment aimed at specific sub-cultures of Americans. No other theme park can boast the various cultural festivals or temporary celebrations built around various cultural holidays or offerings like the Disneyland Resort can.

Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hispanic-Americans or African-Americans or Asian-Americans or Irish-Americans", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans.

The Great American Melting Pot. There's something you don't hear much about anymore, in this trendy age of hyphen-Americans.

Happy Independence Day, friends!
    This x1000. We all have heritage, and while there is nothing wrong in celebrating your heritage, people need to have pride in being just an American!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Mrs. J. Depp

Maybe it should be called "Californio Adventure" instead. I agree that the Spanish who presumably discovered California, and the Mexicans who colonized it do not have nearly enough presence in this park. They should have kept the Tortilla factory because at least that was one small representation.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hispanic-Americans or African-Americans or Asian-Americans or Irish-Americans", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans.

The Great American Melting Pot. There's something you don't hear much about anymore, in this trendy age of hyphen-Americans.

Happy Independence Day, friends!
    This makes no sense. No one is asking for any attraction "for" latinos, instead the question posed is whether DCA needs a larger presence of attractios celebrating a huge cultural influence to the state.

Just as I have no explicit connection to latino-culture, I have no explicit connection to the National Park culture or Hollywood cultures in California, but I think that those areas of the park still should be included. By subbing in these alternative cultures, we see the absurdity of your argument. How does this read:

"Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hollywood-types or outdoorsy folks or car enthusiasts or aviation nuts", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans."

First and foremost... this line of thinking is clearly how we'd end up with a park full of Disney attractions with nothing to do with California. For your argument to have any power at all, you'll have to convince me why car culture is different from latino culture. Don't say that we can't all "unite" in celebrating cultural influence... because as a white guy I can tell you that you don't have to be latino to enjoy a dia de los muertos attraction (Knotts) or tasty Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    This x1000. We all have heritage, and while there is nothing wrong in celebrating your heritage, people need to have pride in being just an American!
    First, the park is about California, not America. Second, for a lot of people, the latino culture is a huge part of "being American," and especially "being Californian" for that matter.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Latino culture in California is very prevalent - 2/5 of the population is Hispanic, 30% speak Spanish, and California was originally part of Mexico. At my old school, we were required to take three years of Spanish from 6th to 8th, signs are written in English and Spanish, etc. Besides the restaurant at
    Pacific Wharf, there's nothing! I say Disney needs to do a better job at including a culture that is brutally important to its past and present.
    It wasn't originally part of mexico. It was for thousands of years home to Native Americans. Then part of Spain for 100's and only near the end from 1821 to 1850 part of Mexico. Other than that I agree with you.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Latino culture in California is very prevalent - 2/5 of the population is Hispanic, 30% speak Spanish, and California was originally part of Mexico. At my old school, we were required to take three years of Spanish from 6th to 8th, signs are written in English and Spanish, etc. Besides the restaurant at
    Pacific Wharf, there's nothing! I say Disney needs to do a better job at including a culture that is brutally important to its past and present.
    Yeah, it might be great. Anything they create would probably be hated by 10% of the population, who will be the most vocal about their opinions.

Are you going to stop coming to the parks if they decide not to? Because, that is the only way Disney will change its mind.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This makes no sense. No one is asking for any attraction "for" latinos, instead the question posed is whether DCA needs a larger presence of attractios celebrating a huge cultural influence to the state.

Just as I have no explicit connection to latino-culture, I have no explicit connection to the National Park culture or Hollywood cultures in California, but I think that those areas of the park still should be included. By subbing in these alternative cultures, we see the absurdity of your argument. How does this read:

"Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hollywood-types or outdoorsy folks or car enthusiasts or aviation nuts", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans."

First and foremost... this line of thinking is clearly how we'd end up with a park full of Disney attractions with nothing to do with California. For your argument to have any power at all, you'll have to convince me why car culture is different from latino culture. Don't say that we can't all "unite" in celebrating cultural influence... because as a white guy I can tell you that you don't have to be latino to enjoy a dia de los muertos attraction (Knotts) or tasty Mexican food.

First, the park is about California, not America. Second, for a lot of people, the latino culture is a huge part of "being American," and especially "being Californian" for that matter.
    This. Well said, cruise.

• Minion

As long as it is relevant to the park theme and is a good quality attraction, then I am totally fine with this idea.

Disney has created a magical land for adults and children to enjoy and have fun..if you want more history go to a museum!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Disney has created a magical land for adults and children to enjoy and have fun..if you want more history go to a museum!
    And apparently not Epcot.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I don't think I've seen a single post here that even implies there should be a ride that is about history. We're talking about the fact that a big part of California's history is missing from the park. It only makes sense to incorporate it more into the fabric of DCA.

• Artistic integrity

The only way to have a proper "Spanish" representation in the park is if it's a Pixar film that by coincidence has Spanish themes.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Closed Account

I don't want to see any Latino culture at DCA or at Disneyland. Sorry if that offends someone, but living in Southern California there is way more than enough Latino culture around that we don't need it at DCA. When I go to DCA and Disneyland, it's to escape from reality. To get away from the sad/sick/twisted/warped/messed up/demented/difficult/hard world that we live in. It's a great place to go where everyone is equal regardless of race, color, ethnicity, creed, or religious beliefs. You don't find that anywhere else in Southern California except at a Disney theme park.

Yes, Latino culture was important to the state of California, but so were many other cultures. Unless Disney has some remarkable plan to pay a tribute to all of them, then paying a tribute to Latino's would be a form of prejudice that doesn't belong at a Disney Theme Park. I would love to see DCA continue to become less and less California and more and more Disney, as it has been doing. I live in California, I don't need to go to DCA to see California.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I would love to see DCA continue to become less and less California and more and more Disney.
    This makes no sense to me at all.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    The only way to have a proper "Spanish" representation in the park is if it's a Pixar film that by coincidence has Spanish themes.
    That could definitely be a possibility if the Dia de los Muertos movie Pixar is developing ever comes to fruition.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast