Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Latino culture in California is very prevalent - 2/5 of the population is Hispanic, 30% speak Spanish, and California was originally part of Mexico. At my old school, we were required to take three years of Spanish from 6th to 8th, signs are written in English and Spanish, etc. Besides the restaurant at Pacific Wharf, there's nothing!
    First,

California was not originally part of Mexico.

But I have some questions. When you say Latino culture, I am going to assume you are not talking about the Latin culture that dates back to the Roman Empire from which all Latino Culture draws.

Then again, are you talking about the European colonial culture that seeded it, or the pre-Columbian cultures, African slaves, the other European cultures that expanded it's populations, or the eastern immigrants that influenced the culture seeded by the others.

Or are you talking about the people whom live here today and call themselves "Latino"?

I say Disney needs to do a better job at including a culture that is brutally important to its past and present.
    Actually the only culture that is brutally important to the present and to the future, is that of being a Californian and an American. The others, they're history.
    Last edited by Garthilk; 07-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

That could definitely be a possibility if the Dia de los Muertos movie Pixar is developing ever comes to fruition.
    I'm pretty sure Dia de los Muertos is more of a Mexican tradition than a Spanish tradition. So that would not be a "Spanish" movie.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I don't want to see any Latino culture at DCA or at Disneyland. Sorry if that offends someone, but living in Southern California there is way more than enough Latino culture around that we don't need it at DCA. When I go to DCA and Disneyland, it's to escape from reality. To get away from the sad/sick/twisted/warped/messed up/demented/difficult/hard world that we live in. It's a great place to go where everyone is equal regardless of race, color, ethnicity, creed, or religious beliefs. You don't find that anywhere else in Southern California except at a Disney theme park.

Yes, Latino culture was important to the state of California, but so were many other cultures. Unless Disney has some remarkable plan to pay a tribute to all of them, then paying a tribute to Latino's would be a form of prejudice that doesn't belong at a Disney Theme Park. I would love to see DCA continue to become less and less California and more and more Disney, as it has been doing. I live in California, I don't need to go to DCA to see California.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Artistic integrity

I don't understand some of these arguments against a "Spanish/Mexican" themed part.

They did bother to call this CALIFORNIA Adventure didn't they? With various iconic Californian items. Spanish architecture is one of them.

I remember one poster here who showed a bit of artwork that showed an entrance into the park, aka Union Station in downtown ... with arches. I thought it was a fine idea.

And after reading a quoted bit from a poster just above me - Then, what do you call the Indian settlement along the shores of the Rivers of America? How about the Mexican Christmas bit they have in Frontierland every year in December, near "Rancho" restaurant? How about the various cultures represented in 'it's a small world'. Matterhorn has a bit of a Swiss representation.
    Adventureland, one could say, represents various African nations. New Orleans Square ... was originally influenced by the French. Fantasyland around the carousel represents a Bavarian Village .. and what part of the world does that mean? Europe (England - "Alice", "Peter Pan" - Italy "Pinnochio", etc.)

So, I re-read that quoted bit above ... and .. uhhh ... actually ... Disneyland does represent a few cultures .. at least subtly.

And have we forgotten what World Showcase is in EPCOT?

If anything ... the Disney theme parks are sometimes CELEBRATIONS of various cultures.

I don't see a problem with it.

Especially when it's already surrounding us.

And Disney could do something more with a proper "Mexican/Spanish" section in DCA.

Or ... why did they keep the "California" name then???????????
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-05-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I always thought that they should consider using the Holidays as a way to include the diversity of the state into the park.

Disneyland has the big Christmas season showcased as most americans see it. DCA could extend the Holiday feel and look by showcasing how the many diversities of people in CAlifornia celebrate the Christmas Holidays.

If done correctly it could be an extension to the small cultural displays/events they do in Disneyland throughout the year. these include Cinco de Mayo, three kings days, Day of the Dead, Chinese New year etc
    I think they DO use the holidays mentioned to include the diversity of the state into the park. For Mexico and Latino traditions at Christmas we have Three Kings Day. There are also Dia de los Muertos and Cinco de Mayo events. There is Mexican food served at the parks, and up until recently there was the tortilla factory.

For those of Asian heritage there is Lunar New Year. We have Mardi Gras, which is not just a party but a very important cultural tradition to many. Et al.

Increasing those celebrations - both in terms of publicity and food and activities offered - would be a wonderful way to introduce more park guests to the amazing cultural diversity of California. Aside from that, though, I don't know what would or could be done to introduce specifically Latino culture into the parks. And if you do that, do you exclude all of the others who live here in California, and have had a stake in its history, from Indigenous populations to Japanese Americans to Armenians to Cambodians?

To the OP, did you have any specific ideas? I'm not shooting down the suggestion; I honestly don't have a clue what in particular would work or what would be feasible. The only thing I think Disney could possibly do - and I wish they would - would be to have a wider range of cultures represented among its characters. A Spanish speaking Disney princess, for instance. An Asian-American one. That's not a park thing, though, it's a character thing - although it would filter down to the park.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Its not celebrating any culture, its celebrating the state (how successfully is debatable). Its about attraction, not cultural significance. I don't think it needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    First,

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo that was signed to end the Mexican-American war was signed on February 2nd 1948( Mexico had been an Independent country since it gained its independence from Spain in 1822 and became the Mexican Republic). In this treaty Mexico ,headed by President Manuel de la Peña, agreed to the cession of Alta and Baja California as well as New Mexico and all the territories between California and Texas. California became part of the Union in 1850 2 years after the treaty with Mexico was ratified by the congress and signed by President James Polk. So, YES California was originally part of Mexico.

Yes it is all History but at least you should get it right.

As far as having more Mexican or Spanish content in CA would be nice but it does not bother me at all if it remains the way it is.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    This x1000. We all have heritage, and while there is nothing wrong in celebrating your heritage, people need to have pride in being just an American!
    Exactly.

In the re-dedication of California Adventure, Mr. Iger specifically references the diversity and rich history of California (people, stories, and land). Spanish culture is an intricate and defining element of California. While Italians, Germans, African-Americans, etc., are a part of the community of California, they do not have history as important as Latinos do. It's not called American Adventure, it's called California Adventure.
    WHOA!!!!! just because there may be different number of a certain heritages in different areas, does NOT make ONE more important than another. That kind of statement could easily be read as being culturally racist.

Just to point out, when DCA opened, it did attempt a "culturally diverse" parade in Eureka! Personally, I enjoyed the parade, however the generally public did not like it. (Just like Golden Dreams) Neither had the appeal that were necessary to bring the numbers for DLR's 2nd gate. The general public insisted on Disney characters in a Disney theme park.

And though Disney admitted that there were countless mistakes with DCA 1.0, There were TWO major items that they refused to admit as mistakes with their recent Billion plus makeover: FIRST, was continuing to use "California" in the name of DLR's 2nd gate. The SECOND mistake in DCA's makeover was to embrace the Paradise Pier Theme, rather than replace it with something more in the realm of fantasy.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 07-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.

• Ducksketeer

Aren't churro carts and Mariachi bands Latin culture?

The idea of the "re-theme" was to represent California better around the time Walt Disney began his studio work in California. And of course tie the Disney character brand better to the attractions and merchandising.

In the re-dedication of California Adventure, Mr. Iger specifically references the diversity and rich history of California (people, stories, and land). Spanish culture is an intricate and defining element of California. While Italians, Germans, African-Americans, etc., are a part of the community of California, they do not have history as important as Latinos do. It's not called American Adventure, it's called California Adventure.
    That's interesting. It never occurred to me DCA is supposed to be a broad portrayal of California. Rather, it's a specific slice of that history: Buena Vista street is Walt's LA during the early days of his studio, and that is augmented by a couple of things in the park that generally require a stretch of the imagination to see anything specifically Californian in them.

But if Iger actually said DCA is supposed to portray the diversity of California, or that it's supposed to be a reflection of California culture, then yes, the lack of Latino elements in DCA means he missed his target by a wide margin.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    ...a zorro attraction
    yes.

• No Disassemble!

Well, at least Disney is still honoring the great American tradition of removing the Native Americans from their land (Frontierland that is). How's that for theme?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Well, at least Disney is still honoring the great American tradition of removing the Native Americans from their land (Frontierland that is). How's that for theme?
    There is still a Indian village on the banks of the Rivers of America last time I checked.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Ever heard of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Ever heard of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
    Yes,

Though I'm not sure how something in the 1800's (1821 to 1848 the Mexican Period) would mean that California wasn't actually a part of something else before that time. In fact the 300 years before the Mexican Independence the area on which California now resides had plenty of people living here and I'm pretty sure they didn't belong to Mexico (Being has how Mexico didn't exist until the 1800's. In fact, California like the cultures that predate "Mexico" have been here for 10,000+ years.

So in fact, California was not originally part of Mexico.

You could say Alta California or The Province of the California's actually belonged to New Spain I suppose (it would be a gross generalization and not correct). The land California resides on was the home of many other cultures before it was acquired by the Portuguese explorers, then the Spanish missionaries, and then the Mexicans and then the USA.
    Last edited by Garthilk; 07-06-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast