Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

To the mods: I'm sorry this thread has gone so far. I felt it was important to correct misinformation - it's the same as if someone was saying the Holocaust never happened. It's just too important to let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post

Another gross over statement on your part. Reasonable people will decide for themselves if having a arch or mission bell on a building designed to resemble the missions of the Spanish colonial period at a amusement park in California is equal to a the holocaust or not.
    Actually Malina has a point, and he states this based on someone who has been on the site for a while and who is familiar with the written rules of this site. Which include:

Members are reminded that they may post their own personal opinions but may NOT at any time attack another member of the site. MiceChat is a friendly and welcoming site. Users who create hostility or in other ways attack the members of this community are not welcome.

Please be aware that Political and Religious discussions in the Gold Debate Lounge can get ugly, as most people have strong opinions on these subjects. If you must discuss them, please attempt to be respectful of others. All members are reminded that MiceChat rules still pertain to the Debate Lounge and we encourage people to use their reputation voting when members break the rules. However, Mods will not intervene on your behalf, nor will we reverse any Neg rep or Retaliatory rep you may receive on the topics of Politics and Religion.
    While this rule refers to the Debate Lounge, it is inferred that discussion pertaining to politics and religion are only allowed in the debate lounge. They are not permitted on the open forums or the main lounges.

And:

What is an attack exactly? We have all heard the term before. On a message board, an attack is when another member posts a message that clearly & directly is to threaten, defame, insult or make a mockery of another for whatever reason that poster felt compelled to do so (EX: "You are full of crap you liar!", "You are a complete idiot", etc). These boards are for discussions. There will always be differing opinions. You can disagree & but be civil and do not spread hate around.

Attack the message rather than the messenger. Posts, including comments, may be discussed, as long as it is NOT attacking and individual member directly.

Allowable: "I disagree with that statement."

Not allowable: "You're an idiot for saying that."
    Up to this point this rule has not been broken, but has been skirted around.... and the line is very close to being crossed.

I have to admit that when I first saw this thread I did a virtual head palm... knowing after so many years on this site where it had to potential to end up. And while there has been some incredibly wonderful, insightful, through provoking and intelligent conversation and exchanges, it is also starting to push the boundaries of the site rule wise. Due to the nature of the topic of the thread, it is very hard not to bring up religious and overt political comments. However, continuing discussion and debate on those specific points will cause this thread to at the least be moved to the debate lounge, where only Gold members will have access, or be moved to the litter box.

For the time being, feel free to continue the discussion, but temper your thoughts and posts according to the rules of the site. And remember... this is a privately owned site. Everyone here is a guest of the owners of this site, and it is those owners who set forth the rules that they want followed by the community at large. Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Those aren't showing actual existing historical buildings that are nearby. They're areas based on specific areas, buildings and parts of California history. You can't find a park like Paradise Pier close to LA (the one that is closest is Santa Cruz and that's a ways off - Pacific Pier isn't historic and isn't the same). Cars Land is a fictional area set in the existing Mojave. Hollywoodland isn't reproducing anything specific and real from Hollywood that people could actually visit. Buena Vista Street is reproducing something specific that isn't there anymore. Again, it can't be visited. The Hyperion would probably be closest because it's a pretty direct copy of the Los Angeles Theater in Downtown LA but it's meant to be a nod to the theater - which is closed and can't be visited - and not a historical reproduction. When Disney does reproduce real historical buildings they're not ones that are close by (like the Pavilions at Epcot, or the Fun Wheel at DCA - it is a direct copy of the Wonder Wheel but the Wonder Wheel is 3000 miles away).

Which goes right along with what I was saying. It's possible to use good aspects of the architecture or historical building styles in creating fictional places and structures, rather than reproducing actual places.

For me a better example would be if Disney chose to build a copy of the Chinese theater in Hollywoodland. Notice that they haven't done that. It works in Florida because Florida is 3000 miles from Hollywood CA. In DCA it would be absolutely ridiculous because the Real McCoy is so close. Or a direct copy of Union Station, the Crystal Cathedral or Dodgers Stadium. All of those places have history, but why would anyone need a copy of those things at DCA when the real places are right around the corner, so to speak?

Actually, some of the facades in DCA's Hollywood are taken from Hollywood, which still exist.

• Just another Disney fan..

I think they should put up a huge ceramic mural at the entrance of DCA depicting all sorts of landmarks and cultural references including a CA mission.

They could also develop a parade that features many of the different cultures past and present in CA. They could give the parade a catchy name that meant "I found it!" or something similar.

Maybe even a theater based movie attraction that showed the history of CA and all the different people and cultures that came together to make CA what it is today. They could even get a celebrity to play a mythical goddess that take us through the journey of how present day CA came to be.

Oh, and they could even have an attraction that shows us the history behind how tortillas are made. Maybe even give you a sample at the end!

A park that had these "improvements" would surely improve attendance and increase the popularity with all the Guests.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Actually, some of the facades in DCA's Hollywood are taken from Hollywood, which still exist.
    The art deco buildings and such, sure. Good point. Do they have the Max Factor building there? When I think of it they used to have the Intolerance movie set elephants too (which of course were cribbed by the H&H center). But IMHO it's more of an inside joke/reference since unless you really love art deco, you're not going to make a special trip to Wilshire Boulevard or Hollywood to see the facades. It's not the same as recreating, say, the LaBrea Tar Pits or Grauman's Chinese - ie, it's not based on something that is a local tourist attraction outside the park that people would make an effort to visit. That's what I was trying to get at there.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    I think they should put up a huge ceramic mural at the entrance of DCA depicting all sorts of landmarks and cultural references including a CA mission.

They could also develop a parade that features many of the different cultures past and present in CA. They could give the parade a catchy name that meant "I found it!" or something similar.

Maybe even a theater based movie attraction that showed the history of CA and all the different people and cultures that came together to make CA what it is today. They could even get a celebrity to play a mythical goddess that take us through the journey of how present day CA came to be.

Oh, and they could even have an attraction that shows us the history behind how tortillas are made. Maybe even give you a sample at the end!

A park that had these "improvements" would surely improve attendance and increase the popularity with all the Guests.
    Maybe they could drive you through LA in a limo and show you all the current celebrities, too! That would work.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Maybe they could drive you through LA in a limo and show you all the not-quite-current celebrities, too! That would work.
    I went ahead and fixed that one for you.

Also, Aladdin claims that Hollywood still exists, but I'm not entirely sure this is true. From my most recent research at the cinema, it seems to me that Hollywood is gone and has been replaced with giant greenscreens.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think a way to add to the Latin presence would be a small land with a Zorro stunt show and a Three Caballeros dark ride.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    I think a way to add to the Latin presence would be a small land with a Zorro stunt show and a Three Caballeros dark ride.
    This is exactly what I was thinking!
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm not Catholic. I'm not religious. And I have very strong opinions about it. Yet - All I can think of is - Knott's, bring back those mission dioramas! I'd prefer appreciating them over spinners and more roller coasters.

And if DCA devoted a section, representing the Mexican/Spanish aspects/history ... I'd love it. It would be another layer of diversity to the park!

Exactly my point all along TL_67!

When I walk near the Matterhorn and I am treated to the sensation of being near a real mountain: the Imagineers and set designers have done an excellent job. I know it is not real granite and ice, but because the idea in a "theme" park is to entertain with that sensation, certain geographical and architectural cues are used to achieve that sensation.

When one walks through Liberty Square in WDW and sees a replica of the Liberty Bell and the pillory in the center of the town square; they may have an opinion on the political significance of what those historical images represent. But the whole point of the park designers is just to treat the park guests to perspective of that experience for the sole purpose of entertainment. If a certain architectural arch or bell is employed in an attempt to provide a similar experience in a park themed about California, it is the same thing; it is to give you a taste of the things you would see if you were in California.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking!

What about some love for Asian culture too?!?!!?

No one can dispute the huge contribution Asians have made to CA and also the huge Asian population in the state.

If you want to point out the lack of representation of a particular culture then you should also include other significant cultures in the discussion.

• Ducksketeer

No one can dispute the huge contribution Asians have made to CA and also the huge Asian population in the state.

If you want to point out the lack of representation of a particular culture then you should also include other significant cultures in the discussion.
    Great idea! There should have been a better attempt to theme a larger section of the wharf area into an Asian, specifically Chinese theme. The tie in would obviously be Chinatown in San Francisco.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

And just like the missions, Chinatown also has its bit of controversy. Not even 5 or so miles away from Disneyland itself this tragic event occurred. Read on...

History : SANTA ANA : Chinatown Torched in Ugly '06 Incident - Los Angeles Times

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And just like the missions, Chinatown also has its bit of controversy. Not even 5 or so miles away from Disneyland itself this tragic event occurred. Read on...

History : SANTA ANA : Chinatown Torched in Ugly '06 Incident - Los Angeles Times
    You can't justify not adding certain lands because of 'controversy' - do you really think Disney would create a burning Chinatown or Missions with slavery?

I agree - I just chose to talk about the Spanish presence on this forum. San Francisco honestly needs to get some love in DCA, and I think the Asian Culture would be awesome to carry it.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• No Disassemble!

Well, in Golden Dreams they featured Japanese passport brides and Chinese railroad workers being blown up. They also make terrible Chinese food at the Lucky Fortune Cookery as well. In my Asian-American opinion I'd much rather leave it as is, maybe closing the Fortune Cookery all together too.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    They also make terrible Chinese food at the Lucky Fortune Cookery as well. In my Asian-American opinion I'd much rather leave it as is, maybe closing the Fortune Cookery all together too.
    LOL! Hey that's discrimination! All of us are entitled to the same misrepresentation of our prized ethnic culinary dishes by amusement parks and high school cafeterias. It's the American way!

Haven't you tried the veal parmigiana over at Goofy's Cucina Italiana ? It's the best in the city. LOL

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast