Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Singing Drinker

Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Y'know, Chase and Short haven't been all that busy of late. You might be able to get the Three Amigos AS the Three Caballeros.

Just take prying the banjo out of Martin's han...

er... you might just want to recast that one. I think he's happier.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Chief Troublemaker

Well, any excuse to rip out Monstrosity, oops, I mean Monstropolis. I say put in a mini-Olvera Street with a truly excellent Mexican restaurant & some shops (can't have too many shops, they're my favorite 'attractions') & a small shady plaza with mariachis where I can sip an icy margarita and have a meet & greet with 'El Raton Miguelito'.

Truly, there are so many contributions to the California of today that have been made by so many cultures, each rich in their own traditions and histories. I don't think it would be possible for DCA to include them all. The hispanic & native cultures mentioned throughout this thread. The Chinese that built the railroads. The Cornish (including my father's parents) who came from the UK to work in the mines. The many who came from, well, everywhere during the gold rush & continuing up to today. Each of them have contributed a little bit of the 'home they left behind' to their 'new home'. If the USA is a melting pot then California is the melting pottyist. Wait, that didn't come out right...well, you get what I mean, right?
    Last edited by Stormy; 07-08-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Yes, popular to the non-natives. This post is arguing for Latin presense to attract Latins. This doesn't really work. It might work to attract the non-Latins though, but DCA 1.0 is well into the past.
    I never said a land to only attract Latinos? What?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, any excuse to rip out Monstrosity, oops, I mean Monstropolis. I say put in a mini-Olvera Street with a truly excellent Mexican restaurant & some shops (can't have too many shops, they're my favorite 'attractions') & a small shady plaza with mariachis where I can sip an icy margarita and have a meet & greet with 'El Raton Miguelito'.
    Funny, Olvera Street is what originally popped into my mind when I read this. Some sort of a mini-land inspired by the street would certainly be a more logical fit than a Monsters Inc. sub-land around the area of Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street, seeing as it's actually a historically significant part of the Los Angeles that BVS and HL both belong to (and since the revival of the street and its transformation into a tourist attraction coincides with the time period that Hollywood Land is supposedly portraying).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    This is exactly the point I've been sarcastically been making that it appears only a few people posting have picked up on.

The OP is calling for something that was already a part of DCA 1.0 which was a FAILURE!

I'm guessing some here are too young to remember what DCA use to be?

I say don't repeat the mistakes made in the past by trying to be culturally inclusive. Besides it being near impossible to fairly represent all the cultural/ethnic groups properly, it has been proven that the concept is NOT a popular idea for a Disney theme park.
    The OP was suggesting something completely unlike DCA 1.0. To even compare them simply because they both claim to celebrate cultures is ridiculous. DCA 1.0 failed because it was a cheap piece of crap that ended up being an insult to California and the cultures that it represents.

That doesn't mean that there is only one approach to the California theme nor that the theme is or was the failure of the park, because it was not. I remember the old park well, and it basically sucked as a theme park, period. It had too few attractions and the ones it had sucked, not because they were related to California, but because they just plain sucked. It was also ugly, allowed too much of Anaheim in, had no shade, too little greenery, nothing for kids, I could on and on about the idiotic mistakes they made with the park. It was an awful park and all the nonsense about the California theme being the problem is nothing but either lazy thinking or a lack of creative vision.

If Imagineering or management thought that the theme was such a problem then they would have completely abandoned it. Instead, they actually mostly enhanced it by changing the lands into a historic look at California with Disney characters used interspersed into the lands with creative tie-ins that make them fit their location well.

This is exactly what the OP wanted to do as well, create a land or sub-land with some Spanish Revival architecture and a Zorro and Three Caballero's attraction, and I'd assume also a new more appropriate location to house the Mexican Restaurant and Mariachi. They added a back story to Paradise Gardens about a Greek Family that started those restaurants and they serve Greek Food there. That's Phase two, doesn't sound like they're no longer basing anything in the park in ethnic groups or that there's some kind of need to include every ethnicity which is an absurd argument.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

The Mariachi Divas are great! Do they still perform in DCA?
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Funny, Olvera Street is what originally popped into my mind when I read this. Some sort of a mini-land inspired by the street would certainly be a more logical fit than a Monsters Inc. sub-land around the area of Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street, seeing as it's actually a historically significant part of the Los Angeles that BVS and HL both belong to (and since the revival of the street and its transformation into a tourist attraction coincides with the time period that Hollywood Land is supposedly portraying).
    Me too! I thought Olvera street. Disney can set up a small street with awesome Mexican food and knock off toys/purses. lol. :-)
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I never said a land to only attract Latinos? What?
    It's very unfortunate that people have misconstrued your original post to make a political/racial/historical point. This Mexican gives your post a stamp of approval! Orale!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678