Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Nic

Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Latino culture in California is very prevalent - 2/5 of the population is Hispanic, 30% speak Spanish, and California was once part of Mexico. At my old school, we were required to take three years of Spanish from 6th to 8th, signs are written in English and Spanish, etc. Besides the restaurant at
    Pacific Wharf, there's nothing! I say Disney needs to do a better job at including a culture that is brutally important to its past and present.
    Last edited by Chesire; 07-06-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

There's also the Spanish architecture by the Carthay...but I will admit that I can't think of much else.

• Senior Minion

I agree, more Spanish culture would be a welcome addition. It's nice when the have the Mariachi playing in PW, but it would be so much better in an area where it fit. Since DCA also needs more San Francisco I'd combine the ideas into one land with three districts to fit both concepts. Use the space where ITTBaB is for a small Spanish style village area that would be a transition into a new SF area where FFF is now and then a China Town area in the remaining parking lot behind ToT and CL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I grew up in Anaheim. Sadly, Disneyland doesn't reflect the local population and traditions.

High spots:
    The Marachi Divas in CA.... They are very talented, approchable, and take requests (They play El Rancho Grande for me)

Some of the Favorite Videos I have shot.

Marachi Divas

Video LINK: http://youtu.be/5hC-L01LM-M

Once a Year they have Three Kings activities, My Favorite time at DLR.

Video Links:

Mickey Mouse dancing at Disneyland Fiesta - YouTube

Dancing at Frontierland - YouTube

Mickey and Minnie entrance at Dia De Reyes Disneyland - YouTube

• Minion

I'd love for DCA to have an area reflecting the Alta California days. They could reuse some of the props from the old bountiful valley area for a small Ranch area, a boat attraction similar to pirates, and maybe a Zorro attraction

• No Disassemble!

Ramone?...

But seriously Golden Dreams used to feature a segment with Cesar Chavez. But we all know what happened to that show.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Disney California Adventure's permanent facilities celebrate and entertain with things that unite us as Californians, not that define our differences.

While there are various cuisines found in DCA; Italian, Asian, Central American, Greek, American, none of those are inherent to California, they are found in nearly every modern community anywhere (especially the dumbed-down theme park menu versions). Disney has also done a FANTASTIC job in the last decade of offering seasonal exhibits and entertainment aimed at specific sub-cultures of Americans. No other theme park can boast the various cultural festivals or temporary celebrations built around various cultural holidays or offerings like the Disneyland Resort can.

Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hispanic-Americans or African-Americans or Asian-Americans or Irish-Americans", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans.

The Great American Melting Pot. There's something you don't hear much about anymore, in this trendy age of hyphen-Americans.

Happy Independence Day, friends!

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Instead of asking "Why isn't there a show/ride/restaurant for Hispanic-Americans or African-Americans or Asian-Americans or Irish-Americans", perhaps it's best to appreciate that All-Americans can enjoy a day at DCA full of fabulous rides and entertainment like Radiator Springs Racers or Soarin' or Tower of Terror or World of Color and enjoy that together, as one happy melting pot of Americans.
    In the re-dedication of California Adventure, Mr. Iger specifically references the diversity and rich history of California (people, stories, and land). Spanish culture is an intricate and defining element of California. While Italians, Germans, African-Americans, etc., are a part of the community of California, they do not have history as important as Latinos do. It's not called American Adventure, it's called California Adventure.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    In the re-dedication of California Adventure, Mr. Iger specifically references the diversity and rich history of California (people, stories, and land). Spanish culture is an intricate and defining element of California. While Italians, Germans, African-Americans, etc., are a part of the community of California, they do not have history as important as Latinos do. It's not called American Adventure, it's called California Adventure.
    An Italian founded Bank of America in San Francisco. African Americans worked the aircraft manufacturing plants during WWII. And even Anaheim itself was settled by Germans in 1850 (hence the German-sounding name). And are you really asking about Spanish culture or Hispanic/Latino culture? Because those are two different things. Spain, along with Italy and Germany, is a country in Europe. A Spanish attraction would be say, a thrill ride themed to the running of the bulls (come to think of it that actually could be pretty cool). You could display Spanish colonialism in California and the missions, but after that you would be looking at Hispanic culture, as the influence of Native Americans vastly changed Spanish culture after they began settling California.

• Minion

I would love to see more Hispanic culture in DCA. That would be great.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Disney California Adventure's permanent facilities celebrate and entertain with things that unite us as Californians, not that define our differences.

While there are various cuisines found in DCA; Italian, Asian, Central American, Greek, American, none of those are inherent to California, they are found in nearly every modern community anywhere (especially the dumbed-down theme park menu versions). Disney has also done a FANTASTIC job in the last decade of offering seasonal exhibits and entertainment aimed at specific sub-cultures of Americans. No other theme park can boast the various cultural festivals or temporary celebrations built around various cultural holidays or offerings like the Disneyland Resort can.

The Great American Melting Pot. There's something you don't hear much about anymore, in this trendy age of hyphen-Americans.

Happy Independence Day, friends!
    ^This.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

• Singing Drinker

DCA has shied away from controversy at every opportunity. What little "edge" they put in to reflect actual facts in history was very limited and nearly cartoonish in the level of caricature it was given.

Putting a large Latino presence at the park would infuriate a largish percentage of our country. It would create a group who would attack the presence of the content for political gain. This isn't a time when you can reflect reality - we're not a culture that accepts that at the moment.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I would love to see more Hispanic culture in DCA. That would be great.
    Says it all, thanks

To answer the Subject Question?

The Latinos are in line...sorry, can't help myself. Suits sure are missing a marketing opportunity.

I am a Gringa who grew up in the Southern California area and was immersed in Spanish and Mexican culture like the OP. To this day I speak Spanish whenever possible. I agree that the romance of Zorro (a Disney property) would bring a wonderful change to a park that doesn't reflect the glory that was Southern California before the Gold Rush and the Anglo Occupation. Not the Missions, tho -- pretty much decimated the happy people who lived here before...

As to theme parks, Olvera Street in downtown Los Angeles was always a HUGE part of my childhood. Elementary schools had field trips in those days... Union Station, with the movie stars taking trains in the Carthay Circle days... That whole part of the California Adventure could be transplanted to Disneyland and we'd think they'd Imagineer'd it.

But I would gladly forgo any other Latino anything for another one of tbose warm mission Tortillas...I think I ate six. As an Anglo I had never had a fresh tortilla, hot off Mama's oven.

Also time, even with the mixed reception to "Princess and Frog," to evolve a Latina Princess.

Thank you, Chesire, for bringing up the memories of those tortillas...and a very good point.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Senior Minion

Broadly speaking, the history of California consists of three periods: 12,000+ years of Native Californians, three centuries of Spanish exploration, colonization and governance, and a century-and-a-half of American rule.

Guess which two periods are not represented at Disney's California Adventure?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

I wonder if there might not also be (at least as an excuse) an aversion to copying Knott's too closely?

Fiesta Village. Indian Trails. Ghost Town. They cover an extensive amount of CA's history in broad strokes in ways that are built in to the park (to some extent).
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast