Disneyland 1955 - A Compilation of Home Movies

I found this video in my subscriptions box today and I thought I would share it with you. It's a compilation of home movies shot at Disneyland in 1955 set to the song "Keep Breathing" (cover) by the loreleis. I am not sure if the footage has been seen before, but I thought it was a nice little videos.

I quite liked the video, and I suggest you give it a quick look as well!

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Re: Disneyland 1955 - A Compilation of Home Movies

Thanks for posting it up. I was just about to leave a link in MiceChat. As for your question, we--at DHI--own all of the footage. Personally I've collected old images of Disneyland for many, many years. We've sampled a few scenes in previous DHI videos (such as our videos on the Disneyland Trains), but most of the scenes here have never been released anywhere. We've also posted up an essay that lists a few strange and wonderful things to watch for in the video: the canal boats (before Storybook Land), the Intimate Apparel Shop, Phantom Boats, etc. We're posting it up in July, a week or two early for Disneyland 58th birthday. Hope you enjoy it. -TJP

• Minion

That was nothing short of amazing. Fantastic video, thank you for sharing with us!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by DHI View Post
    TWe've also posted up an essay that lists a few strange and wonderful things to watch for in the video:
    Some interesting things I noticed:
    Organ grinder with monkey.
    Casey Jr. on stilts.
    Dumbo without Timothy.
    Trackless Autopia. The kid smashing into the curb gives a good indication of why they added the guide rail.

That footage of the Phantom Boats is pretty amazing. I've never seen them in action before.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Some interesting things I noticed:
    Organ grinder with monkey.
    Casey Jr. on stilts.
    Dumbo without Timothy.
    Trackless Autopia. The kid smashing into the curb gives a good indication of why they added the guide rail.

That footage of the Phantom Boats is pretty amazing. I've never seen them in action before.
    Disneyland Police Department

Very Cool Video!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DHI View Post
    Thanks for posting it up. I was just about to leave a link in MiceChat. As for your question, we--at DHI--own all of the footage. Personally I've collected old images of Disneyland for many, many years. We've sampled a few scenes in previous DHI videos (such as our videos on the Disneyland Trains), but most of the scenes here have never been released anywhere. We've also posted up an essay that lists a few strange and wonderful things to watch for in the video: the canal boats (before Storybook Land), the Intimate Apparel Shop, Phantom Boats, etc. We're posting it up in July, a week or two early for Disneyland 58th birthday. Hope you enjoy it. -TJP
    Great stuff as always from the Disney History Institute -- many thanks TJP!!

Images of Disneyland's first decade are fascinating for the lookback at the park's physical layout, but even more as a record of its guests. As the DHI video shows, the majority of guests (and nearly all the employees) were adults. Disneyland's advertising, in-park attraction posters and even the images on its shopping bags showed adults and kids having fun, but the numerical emphasis was on adults.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Pretty awesome I wish I could have experienced DL in the first 10 years. I noticed the feeling of no Matterhorn when they panned over main street. Awesome video!

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Pretty awesome I wish I could have experienced DL in the first 10 years. I noticed the feeling of no Matterhorn when they panned over main street. Awesome video!
    I'm surprised I didn't notice that. I noticed that you could see the TL rocket from the train station at 1:05. The camera is elevated there so you probably can't see it from the ground but it's still amusing.

For some reason, looking at it again, the garbage cans jump out as being exactly the same as they are today. It's interesting to note the presence of chain link fence around rides. It's clean and, around Dumbo, painted, but still.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah the monkey.....i was like that would never happen today

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Great stuff as always from the Disney History Institute -- many thanks TJP!!

Images of Disneyland's first decade are fascinating for the lookback at the park's physical layout, but even more as a record of its guests. As the DHI video shows, the majority of guests (and nearly all the employees) were adults. Disneyland's advertising, in-park attraction posters and even the images on its shopping bags showed adults and kids having fun, but the numerical emphasis was on adults.
    And people aren't dressed like slobs.

• Former Cast Member

What stands out to me is the dress of the guests. Very nice, neat , and clean. The trees are tiny and you get more vistas than now. My kids are amazed at the Frontierland rides, stage coach, Conestoga wagon, and the burros. Thnak you for sharing that amzaing footage. It takes me back.

Wonderful!!!

What surprises me the most is how bare everything looks. I know this was within the year Disneyland first opened, but still...I was born in the mid 90's so the Disneyland I grew up with was the Disneyland of the 2000's+. Today everything is very energetic, kinetic, and jam packed. Looking back, everything looks so mellow. Not a lot of attractions, not a lot of scenery, heck even not a lot of people. It's just such a stark reminder that Disneyland was so different back then. What I love seeing the most are the foliage. Today, you can see the treetops of almost every land poking out and being seen in every other land. Biggest contender to Adventureland's giant wall of green that can easily be seen behind the west side of Main Street.

Also you could pet the horses on Main Street...that I wish was implemented back

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

•   

Amazing footage! Loved the trackless Autopia and the pre-Storybook Land "mud ride." Thanks for sharing!

•   
    • Ralzap

Very Cool!
    Ralzap