Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Make Autopia A Real California Adventure

Infact!!!.............

if we wants to gets technical...............

The automobile is actually sooooo 19th Century ... as it was invented in the 1890s! Hello

And the freeways sooooo 1930s ... as the world's first freeway was built in SoCal .... The Arroyo Seco Parkway ... better known today as the Pasadena 110 Freeway ... built throughout the 30s .. opened in Dec. 1940.

And infact ..... The Santa Ana 5 freeway was 1 year old when Disneyland opened. But atleast Walt's little putt-putt mobile idea was kinda futuristic on the drawing boards in 1953 ... before the Santa Ana Freeway came roaring into Orange County in 1954.

• Minion

I know SoCal freeway history ....

110 - 1940
    5,101,110 south to San Pedro - 1954
    among a few sections of the 405 and the 10 around 1960

• Closed Account

BLASPHEMY!

You DO NOT move one of the original 1955 Disneyland rides to DCA.

• Minion

Watch Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUH-BYE putt-putt mobile ride.

• Minion

Kidding aside .....

The entire concept for Autopia is very mid 20th Century.

What is a ride dated to the mid 20th Century doing in a land that is supposed to reflect the future? And now that the world is in a new century .. the concept is becoming even further dated.

This is the same paradox imagineers faced developing a "Tomorrowland" for DLP. They want more "timeless fantasy" right? Seems the overall concept of a 20th Century form of transportation won't "age" if it's in DCA. But as long as it's in Tomorrowland .... it will surfer the same fate by bringing the land into todayland .. and into yesterdayland.

Doesn't matter if it's an "original '55" attraction.

So was Circle-Vision which I thought would last for decades to come.

Circle Vision lasted from 1955 ... even up to the queue for Rocket Rods in 1998 thru 2000. When it closed Sept of that year. Just over 4 decades. A "timeless" concept for Tomorrowland. Right? I was wrong.

What is so special with Autopia that it should stay for all eternity ... as the world keeps moving forward in this new century called the 21st Century?

Just because we have this spaghetti bowl of these winding concrete lanes spread out through several acres over the north/east quadrant of Disneyland since around 1959 does not mean it supposed to stick around forever.

Because the overall "aqua" theme going on with the Motor Boat Cruise waters .. sub lagoon ......... I'd love to see something themed to water that is outdoors. Something little kids can pilot. Such as Tokyo DisneySea's "AQUATOPIA". A much more suited attraction for this water themed section of Tomorrowland.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I still say there is a way to simulate the autopia cars "floating" over their tracks, or at least the simulated feel of it. And how awesome it would be to drive "landspeeders" in Tomorrowland!

Thats what I want to see.

• ...TWO BITS!

speederscout, I think electric cars should come first. Then WDI can worry about floating/hovering cars or landspeeders.

I figured when Rocket Jets return back to the platform above PeopleMover station, it should be rethemed to Stitch's Hover Cruiser. TL already has enough space adventures. Hover cars cruising through the TL skies would be interesting. Stitch is in the middle with his red car and guests ride blue cars. Probably other colored cars as well. Would that suit you until real "floating" cars can be developed?

Escapé, I agree with you about Autopia and Aquatopia. I think Autopia's tracks could take over People Mover's tracks. One track on top of the other. One track of cars going one way, the other the opposite direction. All electric cars, too. The Autopia station can stay in its current location. The tracks just need to twist around to get up and down from People Mover tracks. Now you have electric cars driving through TL. Awesome, would it not?

Now the old Autopia tracks are gone. Matterhorn, Subs, and MBC can be a new land. Maybe a type of Discoveryland or Port of Discovery. I would be a round-about theater here somewhere (similar to Festival of Fools). And a Hercules/Odyssey type ride based using EPCOT's Malestorm ride tech. Not sure about other attractions.

But a couple new Fantasyland dark rides can emerge. And maybe a sit-down full service restaurant. FL ride entrance can be from Small World Mall. One of these rides will definately be The Little Mermaid using the Aquatopia tech. Guests ride clams. I have a whole layout for this, but I won't bore you. A couple of these dark rides can go on top of each other while the water dark rides are 1 story underground.

Whadda ya say?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

The Landspeeders would be electric, and they wouldn't really "float". After all, the original idea for Rocket Rods was the same thing; the cars were going to rise up once under way as though hovering over the tracks. Of course, the head bean counter saw to it that it didn't happen. The technology is here. And its a do-able makeover.

And worthwhile rides and attractions take up a little more space than you might realize, both horizontally as well as vertically. Also, you can't go up too much higher in Tomorrowland without ruining the scale and sightlines; blow those and you've blown the Disney magic.

An Autopia-style attraction should have been built instead of Mulholland Madness.

Googie and California Crazy architecture are not represented very well at D.C.A., and the car culture that arose in the middle of the 20th Century would relate to the Disneyland Hotel across the street.

Cars have had such an influence, for the better and for the worse, over the Californian way of life that D.C.A. could give the Autopia the meaning and relevance that the attraction currently lacks in Tomorrowland.

There's a story to tell there about the rise of the suburbs and the naivite of the '40's, '50's, and '60's.

• Old Timer

I think the idea of a "Pod Racers" developed ride where Autopia is now would be a fantastic idea!

Remove the name Autopia or merge it with the next Pixar film Cars, move Cars to DCA and make it a wholly Pixar themed park, remove all the off the shelf rides. Develope Pixarland or Pixar Studios or whatever new name for DCA, I could just really imagine a west coast Test Track ride but instead its Cars characters themed, all vehicles have an interactive AI that allows each car to have a unique personality, the car actually talks to its riders, ever changing and of course the vehicles uses the technology of real props of movable headlights like Herbi and Inspector Gadget. Aquatopia in TDS has a remarkable GPS sytem that controls its vehicles the same can be done here in Anaheim, plus this ride would be first built in Anaheim.
    No budget cuts, pure cutting edge technology, no Eisner micromanaging.

No more DCA.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

There was a traffic jam on Sunday... One car had stopped... a CM was refuling it (or whatever) and thre was a loooong line of cars behind it. It was so funny!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Now THAT I'd like to have seen!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12